PDA

View Full Version : Coming off Effexor - a bit of a setback

jo61
04-05-08, 12:56
I'd really welcome anyone's advice or experiences here. I'm almost off Effexor and am struggling a bit the past week or so. I'm using Prozac to get off it and all of a sudden I'm experiencing some withdrawal. I don't want to go back on it. Any idea how long this takes? All advice gratefully received. This is so frustrating as I've been well for months now!!:shrug:

chalky
04-05-08, 13:27
Hi Jo,

Well done for doing this!!!

:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:

My advice to you - having come off Meds myself- is "Keep the faith".
We can interpret the withdrawal symptoms as a backwards step and that unsettles us as we think back to our worst times in anxiety.
The symptoms of withdrawal do pass.Sometimes it takes a few weeks,sometimes a month.Reassure yourself that the symptoms are purely about withdrawal.
Keep your recovery as the main focus of each day not the symptoms.
Don't allow this to drag you down.
Just look at the amazing progress which YOU have made which has allowed you to come off Meds.
Keep believing in yourself.
Best wishes,
Chalky

jo61
04-05-08, 13:37
THanks for your kind words Chalky. I'm on a bucket of other meds as well which I'll be on for some time. I rattle when I move! :blush: Problem with the Effexor was that it never did anything for me and now it's a bum to get off. I do recognise the need to keep the faith it's just hard when the anxiety breaks back through. I suppose I just need reassurance and you've given me some. Thank you.
:hugs: