PDA

View Full Version : panic and anxiety attacks

msjones
05-05-08, 03:34
this is one of the most frightening illness i have ever encounter. before i got sick, i knew nothing about panic and anxiety and i find it unreal. i didnt had a clue to the fact that something like this hurt and destroy so many people's life. disableing them to a point where you are terrified to leave yor home. this have been a night mare one that you wonder would you wake up from.i been fighting this for over 1 year and still fighting and i am no closer to knowing what brings this on . how how to get rid of it. so right now i am still doing my best to heal and trying what ever i could think of or hear about to try.:)

kellie
05-05-08, 09:26
hiya msjones. i dont think there is a fast easy fix to anx/panic i realy wish there was. but these things will help reduce some of the terrible symptoms you get.
. never google any symptoms it will only scare you by telling you something nasty is wrong.
. make sure you eat good everyday ( breakfast ,lunch,dinner)
. cut down ur intake of caffine and stay away from alcohol.
. get some exercise everyday like a brisk walk or a jog if you can.
. find time to relax and do some deep breathing exercises.
try not to fear or fight a panic attack it only feeds it. if you feel one comeing on invite it and let it wash over you. you will find you have more controll that way tell ur self as it is happening that its just a pa and it carnt hurt you and will be gone in a min. drink cold water while this is happening and breath nice and slow. i know you probly think im nuts but it does work amd they will come less often. also talk to ur doc about come cbt theropy that can be realy helpful to.
hope some of this has helped
best wishes
take care :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

smudgie
05-05-08, 09:32
Hi Msjones and a big warm :welcome: to the site so glad you found us.

I dont think i can add much to what Kellie has said, we have to just go with it until we are out the other side, how long we dont know but one day you will look back and say well i made it.

It so horrid but Kellie is right about going with it dont fear it , it will make it worse and became a vicious circle, try to go through the panic sit with it.

take care of you and best wishes
smudgie

honeybee
05-05-08, 10:57
hiya

people have said to let panic wash over you - well that's easier said than done - first I think u need a good understanding of them in order to not fear them then being able to "let them wash over u" becomes a whole lot easier. Like u I had no idea about them until I became ill then BANG - in the space of a week my whole life turned upside down - I was back living in my family home, I stopped working, going out and even seeing my mates. I became agoraphobic and agonised over why I was like this/how could I end it/would it ever end etc. I really didn't think I'd ever get better - but I have. 4 years later and I'm starting a part time job on Thursday, considering going on holiday in September, I go to festivals where I'm surrounded by thousands of people, I can even enjoy going to tesco again (not sure I even enjoyed that before I got ill :)), I live with my partner.

I think if I had to give one piece of advice from my experience it would be - DONT AVOID SITUATIONS because they make u anxious. Go into the situation and tell yourself the anxiety will pas soon. The best thing to do would buy or rent some books. Read up as much as you can. When u understand them better u can control them better. Claire weekes does some good books, and there's a fantastic cognative behavioural therapy based one called 'mind over mood' - get it! I've tried all sorts of things - hypnotherapy, anxiety management, reflecology, cognative behavioural therapy, homeopathy, so many things - looking back I think they've all played a part in getting my where I am now but mostly its been time and understanding.

Sorry to have gone on, but finally I'd like to say, YOU MUST BELIEVE YOU CAN GET OVER THIS. You must believe because you can and you will. If I have - anyone can

popsy
05-05-08, 11:03
I cannot add much either to what has already been said. I too am suffering at the moment, so are most of the people on this site, so you soooooo are NOT alone. Keep logging on here and chatting it really helps, you'll receive some great advice and find many caring people. I have found Claire Weekes stuff a really good source of information as i know many sufferers have on here, she was a woman before her time but i still think gave the best advice, you might want to get one of her self help books. Also, there is some downloads you can try, please just try and give them a chance you might just find they can help you:
http://www.controllinganxiety.com/dsp_downloads.php download the third section with 4 parts (right clicking and saving target as...) its the Claire Weekes stuff you want.
Hope this is some help and good luck, we are always all here for you. XXX

popsy
05-05-08, 11:05
Oh, also Google 'MoodGym', its an excellent online (free) CBT programme!

Tom_M
05-05-08, 11:47
Hi msjones1

Panic attacks are just another phobia - where fear is the trigger. You feel anxiety rise, you automatically think that you are going to have a panic attack, and the fear of having one, brings it on. Panic attacks, like all phobias, can be beaten if you loose the fear of them. It's a subconscious thing, so we have have to convince our subconscious that there is nothing to be afraid of, and that's the hard part, which no one as found a quick cure for yet. The best thing you can do is to learn breathing techniques, relaxation, and thought switching, which should gradually desensitise you, and make panic less scary.

Tom

doodah
05-05-08, 16:23
Hello msjones,

I really can't add any more than everyone has said so far. I think the thing that has helped me the most, apart from chatting with people on this wonderful site, is the Claire Weekes downloads that popsy mentioned above. She really does explain what's going on wonderfully!

Take care and you can overcome this.

Wendy xxxx