PDA

View Full Version : Very Afraid of Pregnancy

MysteriousCreature
05-05-08, 18:21
Hello.

I have a bit of an issue. I'm so afraid of pregnancy, that it is interfering in my daily life, causing constant stress, and is responsible for much anxiety. For the entire time I am not having my period, I am irrationally paranoid that I am pregnant, and read every little thing as a sign of pregnancy. This is a vicious circle, because many signs of pregnancy are also physical manifestations of stress, and I keep reading them as pregnancy symptoms, thus stressing myself out more, causing more or worsening symptoms.

I buy a bunch of pregnancy tests at once, and take one at least once a week.

A short history:

I do not want children. I will never have any as long as I can do anything about it. I have known this since I was 6 years old. I'm 24 now.

I had accidentally gotten pregnant once before, in 2006. That was the worst 10 weeks of my life. Before I even realized I was pregnant, I went through the most horrible depression I could think of with a constant fear of death, yet life didn't seem worth living. All I could do was sit and cry. This went on for 2 weeks.

A while after, I suffered terribly from hyperemesis gravidarum. I used an expensive herb to control this, but soon ran out and could not afford more. So I went for 3 days without any food or water, yet managing to throw up stomach acid every 2 hours anyway. The nausea was unrelenting. It was so bad, I thought I was dying. I had not slept a second in those 3 days, for every time I tried, the nausea would wake me up. I only waited so long to go to the ER because I didn't know there was any treatment for it. Everyone kept pushing gingerale and crackers, which DO NOT WORK for hyperemesis.

Finally, out of sheer desperation, I went to the emergency room where they had a very difficult time taking any blood and inserting the IV because I was so dehydrated. They gave me an injection of Zofran and sent me home with a prescription for the (insanely expensive) pill version.

Fortunately, I had Medicaid to pay for this at the time. I'm not so lucky now. The wonderful state of Missouri claims I get too much SSI to qualify, even though I can't afford the most basic medical care. Should that situation happen again, I would be in serious trouble. Hyperemesis kills women if it goes untreated.

So, you can see what has caused my fear. I also believe I suffer from some degree of PTSD. Unfortunately, for the same reasons as above, I cannot get any help for that, either. :weep:

scooby28
05-05-08, 19:03
Have you ever considered having an hysterectomy i know this is a big thing but if your adimant you don't want any children why don't you take away the thing that can make it happen, at least that way each time you didn't have a period you weren't pregnant.
I think most doc's would think you were too young but if it is affecting you phyically they might make an exception.

samc100
05-05-08, 19:13
Hi - what an awful fear....
What about those contraceptive injections... I think some of those must be good as I know several people whom had to wait ages after the injection had completed it's ability to be fertile again.

Might be worth considering if you can not have a sterilisation.