PDA

View Full Version : Serotonin Syndrome

Jennifer
23-11-03, 05:06
Hi, has anyone heard of??? It's funny because I've had no luck on antidepressants. I've had so many bad reactions, and I just landed in the hospital after taking one pill of effexor. I had tremor, confusion, diarehea(SP), nasuea, shaking, bad trip kind of feel. Now, I just took 5 mlg. of Lexapro, today. I had some mild symptoms like above, but just tried to go w/ it. But, now I'm thinking of this Syndrome and wonder if I'm just not meant to take SSRI's. I'm kind of nervous.
Anyone know of...
Thanks,,,,

ruth
24-11-03, 12:27
Hi Jenny
I have indead heard of seotonin syndrome, it sounds like you have been reacting badly, my meds seroxat talks about this in the "side effects" part of the leaflet. However sometimes when you first start taking meds your symptoms can and often do get worse before they get better. Not much consolation at the moment I can sympathize with you when i started seroxat, i was only on 10mg to begin with i felt terrible and could not even get in the car let alond drive!! I had time off work. My mum came round one w/end i was so aggitated i really thought i needed to go to casualty,i was in tears and thought no way can i go on like this!! Let alone go to 20mgs.It was a slow process but i am now alot better. Did you try taking the min dose first or did you just go for 1 whole tab? What other ssris have you tried? Please let me know how you are doing
Take care Ruth

Jennifer
26-11-03, 04:00
Ruth Hi. I've tried a few. Years back I tried Zoloft, and Paxil, both worked ok, but the initial few weeks were tough. But that was when I just had panic, now I have acute anxiety,, so the SSRI's are brutal, I can't handle the weird side effects I really want to jump out of my skin, I think the acute anxiety is better then those feelings I feel like I'm on lsd or something.. I've tried Effexor, Paxil again, and Lexapro.. I think I'm going to go drug free. I have a small child and can't afford to be this dependant on a drug that I know will be worse to come off then going on...
I'm bummed....

ruth
03-12-03, 21:32
Jenny
No 2 people are the same when it comes to meds, it is interesting to hear that you are worse coming off than going on, I know this is common but in my case it's the other way around!! At the moment i have reduced to 10mgs every other day, the head is buzzing like shocks but it's no way as bad as going on, infact i am reluctant to stop altogether in case i have to increas again. I admire you for trying to cope without medication but you need to do what you feel is right for you. Are you getting any other help ie counselling etc. K eep me posted
Love Ruth