PDA

View Full Version : mr.

Cereus
11-05-08, 06:37
I have been suffering from panic attacks for most of my life. They seem to come in bouts, and when they do I am unable to leave the house. Even in better times I can only go a few miles and only on certain roads. I've seen several counsellors and taken some prescribed medication, but this has side effects which frighten me, so I end up being even more panicky than before I took the tablets. I don't take any now. I am too afraid of the side effects. I didn't fint any of the counsellors any good.

mandie
11-05-08, 07:44
Hi Hywel

I was a bit like that when i first took my meds but after a few weeks i felt so much better. The tablets however are not working for me anymore and i seemed to have more anxiety and panic on them.

My doctor wants to start me on another tablet but i wont take because i am frightened of what they might do to me if they dont work.

I started cbt group therapy last week, its supposed to be very effective with anxiety. Have u ever tried cbt?

love mandie x

Pickle
11-05-08, 08:37
Hi Hywel,

Hellooooooooooo and :welcome:

Click on the links on the left and you will find loads of information about meds, panic attacks etc that can help you. Take a look at some of the posts and you will see other people have had the same problems as you. You will also find loads of information that can help

Take care and hope to see you around

chalky
11-05-08, 11:37
Hi Hywel,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Well done for taking positive action to deal with your health issues.
Keep believing in yourself.
You will get better.
Best wishes,
Chalky

andie73
11-05-08, 12:01
Hi Hywell

Welcome from me. Sometimes meds do make you more anx in the beginning. I don't take them personally. If you read up on panic attacks and the symptoms that can often help you to realise that panic cannot hurt you it is just your body misinterprting danger when there is no danger there. Relaxation and breathing exercises can help you to ride out the panic because it does subside itself if you stay put and try to slow your breathing down. Running home like I sometimes do, only fuels the panic as your adrenaline will flow more. I know this may sound like rubbish but honest once you've stayed put through a few panic attacks and let yourself calm down naturally you will learn that panic attacks are harmless.

Take care and look at the info on this site. You'll get lots of help here.

Andrea xx

Meltdown
11-05-08, 14:52
Hi Hywell

once you've stayed put through a few panic attacks and let yourself calm down naturally you will learn that panic attacks are harmless.

Andrea xx

I have found that this has worked for me in the past, as long as I'm not having too many palpitations. It's the palpitations which really scare me! I had loads yesterday, in spite of being on propranolol. I just wanted to do anything to make them stop. In the end (at about 3 am) I managed to convince myself that the problem was my over-active mind, and eventually got some sleep, after trying some relaxation techniques, etc. So far, feeling better today!

dave2007
11-05-08, 20:29
Hi Hywel,

I feel the same about meds now. When I had my first big panick attack about ten months ago (though, I know now that that wasn't the first one), I was on beta-blockers (which freaked me out because my heart had never gone that slow before) and then on chill pills, which I have finally come off now. However, I must admit that I did get a bit better in the meantime on meds, but the side effects over-shadowed that little victory quite a bit. So, I know where you are coming from.

As for counselling (not to mention the long waiting time (almost five months) before I actually did get some help) I am not too convinced either. I am currently navigating through a web of group meetings, individual therapy and charity support, that my counsellor has organised. Some of it looks quite promising, however, I must admit that I find the information and support on this site much more useful. Mainly, because people here seem to know what they are talking about as they have been there (or are still there).

However, I have begun to realise that it'll take a lot of work on my part to beat the panics. There is no magic cure, but there is a lot of support and advice on this site and just reading through the forum pages sometimes helps me to bring my own situation into perspective.

I hope it'll help you too.:)

All the best,
dave