PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone find CBT usefull?

lostsoul
11-05-08, 20:35
Hi all

Just a quickie - does anyone find CBT useful? theres a very long waiting list on the NHS in my area I've bought a couple of books on CBT but find it difficult to apply to my situation.

I stated to suffer with GAD after a viral infection four months ago - ever since then I've been suffeing with anxiety to the point where I've spent weeks in bed. Its now turning to depression.

CBT seems to talk alot about how you react when people say things to you and how you interpret situations but for me the anxiety is free floating. I'm not really worried about my appreance e.t.c and I have alway been confident until now.

Answers on a postcard

marie1974
11-05-08, 21:32
hi there i have had 3 sessions so far but private as i couldnt get nhs but its helped me already and changes your way of thinking. but u only get wot u put in so you need to be totally open and honest and tell them everything like i did and they wont judge and will really help you, good luck, mine costs 40 pound per week which is a struggle but she lets me pay half now and she is great xxxx

lostsoul
11-05-08, 22:19
Thanks Donna for your reply - its so annoying that the general concensus seems to be that CBT is thet best way forward yet its not available on the NHS seems like madness to me. When I see my phychiatrist all he wants to talk about is medication - I really do feel let down by the NHS. Untill I started getting the panick attacks I've never claimed benefits and I'd not been to the doctors in 20 years!!!

For anyone out there who works in the NHS please dont take it the wrong way you all do a fantastic job under very difficult circumstances. Its lack of resources that are the problem.

I guess when I was first referred to the mental health unit I had this vision of being instantly referred to the right place and everthing being sorted unfortunately the reality simply is't like that.

I've been given a few charity details who might be able to offer me means tested counciling - I just wonder where my 20 years of national insurance money has actually gone to. - Ok rant over :wacko: glad to hear it's making a difference for you. I must admit I've noticed an improvement just from working through the execises in my selfhelp books.

Slightly off topic I know but I tried traditional councilling too (which my work paid for) I didnt find that to be that useful. I guess it depends on the person though.

Take care and all the best with the CBT X

eternally optimistic
11-05-08, 22:36
Hi

I had 6 sessions of CBT through NHS, that was all that was allocated b4 you had to pay! The sessions were excellent. It was like the counsellor was inside my head, I guess she had seen similar situations over and over and was extremeley well trained. Ive heard of people of counselling and it didnt suit them. For me, it was well worth the experience. It made me think in a different way and made thoughts divert or retrain to a more positive way.

Although at the moment I quite self sufficient, fingers crossed, I will definitely go back as a support when I decide to come off of medication.

My experience was truly inspirational, trust that doesnt sound corny or
off putting.

Gud luck with whatever you decide.

J

lostsoul
11-05-08, 22:38
Jay - Ann

Thanx for the reply - I think my choice has been made for me CBT's not available on the NHS in my area and I cant afford to pay so its the self help books for me - on the up-side mind the charity have out me on an anxiety management course next weeks so hopefully that will be of some help.

Dave

:yesyes:

marie1974
11-05-08, 22:52
just to say lostsoul also exercise helped me an awful lot i brisk walk every day and keep very busy this at first made me tired but now im more motivated, positive, happy, i lost a stone and halfed my anxietys. just thought id let you know xxxxxxxxx hugs

eternally optimistic
11-05-08, 23:06
i agree with Donna, walking helped me alot.

I have managed to get some good books from the library, some of which reinforced what i did via CBT.

I reckon the MIND course will probably help you, these charities have very well trained staff.

Dont get infuriated by your situation and I am sure it will come good in the end.

J

misterbean
11-05-08, 23:28
Hi Lostsoul

Bit of a contradictory answer from me, I'm afraid. I'm not the world's greatest fan of CBT, yet a few years ago I had some 20 odd sessions with a CBT therapist and found them very, very helpful. Looking back, I was, after six months on a waiting list, already beginning to work stuff out (don't be fooled by that - I still am working stuff out) and he just sort of gave me free rein. True, this was in the days where there were not strict limits to the amount of sessions, so I imagine people might be CBT'ed (steered using the model as a guide) to a greater degree when sessions are limited.

Martin

bab
12-05-08, 08:40
I have had lots of CBT over the years both NHS and private and I have found that Donna is right - you have to do the work and also it depends on the practicioner and it doesnt matter if private or NHS as ive had good and bad in both. A very good book that they all use is called mind over mood and it has all the worksheets in it
lots of love xx

milly jones
12-05-08, 11:51
hey ive had long term cbt and am an advocate,

however it can be painful and u have to be commtted to both doing the tasks and the recording.

if there are problems with lists/costs try 2 cbt websites:

my fav is 'livinglifetothefull.co.uk' or 'moodgym.co.uk'

the former is based on the chris williams booklets which we used as a basis for the group therapy.

at least its something whilst u wait for counselling

hope that helps hun

milly x

lostsoul
12-05-08, 11:56
Milly

I tried the moodgym site its quite good I've also bought a couple of books on CBT and I'm working through those too.

I'm struggling becasue my girlfriend also suffers from anxiety and shes not a great talker so not much support there. I worry about her everyday becasue the worse I get the worse she gets although she is still at work although I dont know how much longer for at this rate.

X