PDA

View Full Version : Site Offline

gary_2.0
13-05-08, 15:47
Just wanted to raise the subject of the brief downtime today - Tuesday 13th May.

I imagine the site ops are aware of this as I saw a brief appearence a couple of days ago from a third party vBulletin add on.

I run a local server to mirror any changes and act as a sandbox before 'going live' but there's never really a 100% guarantee where computers are concerned :D

Thought I'd enquire! :)

Alex
13-05-08, 18:09
Just wanted to raise the subject of the brief downtime today - Tuesday 13th May.

I imagine the site ops are aware of this as I saw a brief appearence a couple of days ago from a third party vBulletin add on.

I run a local server to mirror any changes and act as a sandbox before 'going live' but there's never really a 100% guarantee where computers are concerned :D

Thought I'd enquire! :)

The technical explanation - A peering problem with Cogent in London.
The non technical explanation - Someone unplugged the wrong cable !

Alex

bottleblond
13-05-08, 18:16
OMG Alex :roflmao: Is that what it was? I thought there was something wrong with my computer, so spent ages doing a virus scan ,clearing cookies, doing a defrag ect ect. :doh: PMSL.

XXX

Carla08
13-05-08, 18:40
Was that what it was???? I rang my service provider Virgin up cos I thought it was a prob with them Cost me a few £ being held in queue to get through to them lol

Jaco45er
13-05-08, 18:52
Wasn't it transendental gravity bubbles that caused a problem in the Ether and caused a malfunction in the flux capaciter? at a guess

Lila
13-05-08, 19:38
Wasn't it transendental gravity bubbles that caused a problem in the Ether and caused a malfunction in the flux capaciter? at a guess

:D I like that answer!

bottleblond
13-05-08, 19:48
Jaco, Erm and that in English would mean????? :wacko: xxx

milly jones
13-05-08, 20:13
we thought wed been naughty again!

love mill x

gary_2.0
13-05-08, 20:28
Ah yes that'll do it every time :D

Thanks for the feedback Alex.

diane07
13-05-08, 21:12
Thats funny,

i was gonna ask lisa what the prob was, good job i didn't she'd have asked me to scan my computer for allsorts. i'd have been there for days.

sorry lisa hun but your post made me laugh, you poor love

Di xx

bottleblond
13-05-08, 21:53
PMSL Diane!! honestly i was like WTF, i was having withdrawel symptoms lol xxx

popsy
14-05-08, 09:29
I was cursing Virgin yesterday, thought it was them! Id never curse NMP though :) LOL xxxxx

gary_2.0
10-06-08, 18:37
@Alex: Is it time to start shopping around for alternative hosting yet?

I lost access to my server during the recent explosion at the Planet's data centre but thankfully I don't have any important live sites there, but I symapathise with you. Perhaps we should start a fund to create a mirror run from a home server? I'd be more than happy to help finance something like that.

Trixie
10-06-08, 21:26
Was that what it was???? I rang my service provider Virgin up cos I thought it was a prob with them Cost me a few £ being held in queue to get through to them lol

Do what I did, email a friend and ask her if she will try and download it for you, its free.:D (mine couldn't)

Alex
10-06-08, 21:54
@Alex: Is it time to start shopping around for alternative hosting yet?

I lost access to my server during the recent explosion at the Planet's data centre but thankfully I don't have any important live sites there, but I symapathise with you. Perhaps we should start a fund to create a mirror run from a home server? I'd be more than happy to help finance something like that.

Gary

I host the box and I moved it today. The box is hosted by my company and we are not a hosting provider, I just happen to have some spare servers laying around :-)

The site actually runs on two servers, one on London and the other in cambridge. At the moment we are doing a lot of server consolidating to conserver power usage in London as the price is going thru the roof. Part of this required moving the primary server from London to cambridge, the backup is now in London (yes this does make sense trust me !).

The server wasnt actually supposed to move today but the server we were moving is jammed in the rack so it could not be removed !

The move was only supposed to take 2 hours so it seemed pointless changing DNS etc to utilise the backup server so I took the decision to leave the site off. The guy driving the server to Cambridge got stuck on the M11 in an accident so it took him a lot longer to get to the data center.

There is one more move planned for the site at some point in the future but thats to load balance it across 4 servers and that is something I will be doing at my leisure. Doing this is going to be a challenge as the chatroom needs to run on a single server so there will be a fair bit of routing required to ensure that all chatroom traffic is directed to the chat server and site traffic spread across the web servers.

The last time NMP has a large outage was due to a minor explosion in Hemel hempstead. Take a look at the second image you can see whats left of the server racks in the window. This is what happens when 30 million liters of unleaded petrol explode close to your data center !

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/buncefield11_big.jpg
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/DSCF0184.jpg

I hope that explains the reasons for the outage today.

Regards

Alex

weeble40
10-06-08, 23:26
Thanks Alex of course that clearly explains everything Lol

Emma x

Cathy V
10-06-08, 23:27
Ok guys, i can speak spanish but not techno. So i just have to put it simply. It worked, then it didnt, then it did :huh:

Cathy V :)

bottleblond
11-06-08, 13:59
Cathy i much prefer your version :winks: Coz i didn't understand a word of the rest of it :roflmao:

Lisa
xxx

Jaco45er
11-06-08, 14:13
Blooming heck

Those pics look like the aftermath when someone let blondy loose in the kitchen

pooh
11-06-08, 14:52
it stopped working today too? lol and yesterday but i missed that cause i was at worrk hehe

Cathy V
11-06-08, 15:02
Lol Lisa!! :D

bottleblond
11-06-08, 15:18
OMG Jaco, I'm fabulous in the kitchen, i'll have you know!! i'm just not very good at cooking :winks:

xx

Alex
11-06-08, 22:52
Blooming heck

Those pics look like the aftermath when someone let blondy loose in the kitchen

More like me in the Kitchen !

Alex

milly jones
12-06-08, 11:50
my whole house looks like that everyday

cest la vie

millx