PDA

View Full Version : Chest Pains

Jayney
14-05-08, 21:02
Hi - I've just joined today after reading many of your stories. They are very reassuring and it's good to hear of other people experiencing similar things.
2 weeks ago I started getting aches again in the centre of my chest and strange 'twinges' around that area and up to my throat. (I'm 51 by the way.)

I first experienced this sort of thing, plus palpitations, just over a year ago when my mum was in hospital having heart surgery. I put it down to panic and anxiety due to the situation. I had an ECG and chest x-ray which were normal. It gradually improved then came back last summer when I had another ECG and some blood tests which again were ok. My GP prescribed amitryptiline to calm me and help me sleep. I took these for a month and then felt fine up until 2 weeks ago.

The chest ache has been on and off and is worse at night. Roughly every other night I have been kept awake and it's that vicious circle - the more I worry about it - the worse I feel. I have to get up to use the loo and end up with 'the runs'. I assume this is nerves through worrying. A couple of times I have started shaking in bed. Part of me thinks it's anxiety and yet I can't help thinking it must be my heart!

Anyway - I've just seen 2 different GPs at my surgery and had yet another ECG which was normal. They say it's not angina and I've been prescribed amitryptiline again and also some indigestion tablets.
I can't understand why the symptoms have come back as I wasn't worried about anything (unless sub-consciously about my daughter's wedding in Italy in the summer.)
It's been on and off all day today and still on now! (my worst day ever.)

I just really hope that it is anxiety or maybe some type of indigestion. I can't understand why it's worse than last year.

I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone who can relate to this. Thanks.

kellie
14-05-08, 21:20
hiya jayney :welcome: to nmp its lovely to have you here :D . you will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way. i can deffo relate to what you are saying hun i get this chest pain also when im not feeling anx. some times it can appear when you are feeling just a little stressed about something or just tierd and worn out. you see this is how your body responded when you where not good and felt anx a lot. so as soon as the stress levels go a little high again it will react in the same way. i doubt very much there is anything more to it like you say you have had lots of tests done and they are all ok. the more you worry the more it will be there. the chest pain comes from tight muscles and the other is more than likely acid reflux. there are a few things you can do to help.
first of try to stop worrying about it.
watch what you eat. keep away from spicy things that may start the acid off.
do some chest stretches to help with the muscles.
this can also be related to ibs which tends to flare up when we are anx. getting an acidy tummy is very commen with anx.
i hope some of this helps and you feel better about things
take care :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jayney
14-05-08, 21:32
Hi Kellie and thanks so much for your warm welcome!

NMP seems to be such a friendly site - I'm so glad I found it!

Deffo going to start some excercises and the abdominal breathing I read about.

Thanks again for your help -

Jayney :flowers:

Lindalou64
15-05-08, 18:55
Hello Jayney And Welcome...i Wish Ya Well As Kellie Says Anxiety Ect Can Bring These Feelings On Since You Have Been Checked Several Times.......i Wish Ya Well...........linda

jodie
16-05-08, 12:07
hiya

welcome to no more panic:hugs:

i to have had chest pains ect andhad all the tests .

if all the tests have come back ok then i am sure it is anx and stress that is making you have them take it easy and try not to worry mabe go back to your gp if they get no better after a week or so

jodie xx