PDA

View Full Version : Driving Wilbury mad!

wilbury
06-04-05, 14:12
Hi everyone, This looks like a real lifeline site…
I'm hoping someone may be or have experienced the symptoms i'm going through. Over the last 4-5 years i've been experiencing moments of uncontrollable panic whilst driving. This is usually if I have to drive across any high bridges or using mountain pass motorways that drop away to one side. It also kicks in when driving out of enclosed areas to open expanses mainly on motorways. I also have real problems moving out into the fast lane to allow traffic to filter in and struggle maintaing any kind of speed above 50mph. Symptoms include overwhelming terror, profuse sweating (especially palms), elevated pulse, laboured breathing fixed stare and rigid limbs-NICE! Initially I dismissed symptoms as just an off day and they would'nt return for months, however it has now become more regular and intensive occurance and I now I try to avoid anything that may trigger it-which isn't really practical. Strange thing is that if someone else is driving I don't have much of a problem? Having visited and read some of your members comments, i'm relieved to discover i'm not suffering alone and this is already helped me immensely. I'd really appreciate any comments from people with similar symptoms and if they have any tips on how to cope or cure. Thanks.
Steve

jude
06-04-05, 14:23
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the froum. I dont drive myself but I think Nicola has some problem with it.
Im sure she will be along shortly to give you some advice.
Take care

Jude x

florence
06-04-05, 14:58
Hi Steve

This is my main problem in my life, I have driving phobia....my first big panic attack happened in a car , on a motorway 9 years ago. I wasnt driving tho. I managed to get my driving licence about 5 years ago, but I havent touched the wheel for ages. I am petrified at the idea of driving, even as a passenger , I sometimes struggle. The most difficult for me are motorways and open spaces, so I do struggle with panic when it comes to long journeys.
Its frustrating me a lot because I do WANT to drive, but something is stopping me to do so. I am having hypnosis at the moment, hoping it will help me with this phobia, its clearly spoiling my life and I have to do something about it.
All the symptoms you described, I had most of them while driving before, which is why i stopped driving, couldnt take it anymore. And avoidance became phobia.
I am happy to see that I am not alone with this problem. And I hope you ll be better soon.
Regards and best wishes.
Florence. x

**See the world more as what it is, less as what you are.**

seh1980
06-04-05, 16:00
hello Steve,

I have a problem with driving as well. I'm normally fine when just driving around town but when I'm on a motorway, I really start to panic. There are quite a few past posts on this site about panic so if you look, I'm sure you'll find some good tips and advice.

Sarah :D

kairen
06-04-05, 16:07
hi and welcome,

Luckily i have never had this feeeling when driving, but every other situation, so i know the feeling well it just totally overwhelms you it is the most scariest feeling in the world,

wish i could help u on the driving part, i think for me i feel safest when im driving cos i know i have to be in control, whereas every where else i can just lose it lol

This is a brilliant site and i hope you get loads out of it there is always sum 1 who understands u

take care xxxxx

kairen x

Meg
06-04-05, 18:42
Hi Steve

Wait till Nic posts her bridges progress and we also had another post complete with pictures !!

When I had my first few panics I was about 250 miles from home and had to get home with DP , panicking and feeling so awful that it stuck in my mind .

In progressing my recovery I drove hundreds of miles in my daily work up and down the highways and byways of the UK sometimes throwing up , often in tears, usually convinced it would be my last trip due to going completely mad and forgetting how to get home but slowly I changed how I viewed these journeys and as I got through the odd jam and then didn't feel a sbad I slowly but surely convinced myself I'd be ok and in the end did a bit of jam hunting to prove the point.

I don't enjoy driving in snow but I never did and I don't choose to go long distances in the height of rush hour but I do over 1000 miles a week with no issues now.

Avoiding of course is just strengthening the fears so in order to progress you do need to do a stuctured self imposed exposure programme.

A bottle of rescue remedy with a few squirts of rescue remedy helps as does sing along music and a hands free to phoen a friend if you need to to help get you through difficult spots and this is ok . Its a helpful step down technique.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
06-04-05, 18:48
Hi Steve

Welcome aboard. Nice to meet a fellow driving sufferer!!

If you read "My Story" on the website (www.nomorepanic.co.uk/mystory.htm) you will see that I have issues with driving too.

Also read my posts about Bridges - agggghhh not so keen on them either...

A Bridge too Far (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1788)

Off to face the bridge again! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2153)

You may like to read the copings tips I wrote to use whilst driving too - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/coping.htm

Sorry to bombard you with things to read but it may help you to know how I feel, how I cope etc.

Happy reading and hope to hear more from you soon.

Nicola

zena
06-04-05, 23:12
I to have a problem driving . Can drive on my own for a little while but do prefere to have someone with me.
Can't stand tunnels or bridges and you wouldn't catch me on the motorway either.
I think I should read all the links too.

Good luck....you have come to the right place to get advice.

with good wishes

Zena

Jan
09-04-05, 20:28
Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum. Its funny how we all deal with things differentl. When I had really bad panic attacks initially, driving was my lifeline. As long as I had the car I could escape and go to my mums whilst Mark was at work. I have never had a problem with driving until my latest episode when I got dp and lost my sense of time. Now I am driving again but always feel a bit apprehensive.
Nic and megs experiences on driving are really something to read and make you see that you are not the only one.

lots of great advice and support and alot of caring people here.

Take care

Janine