PDA

View Full Version : self hypnosis

vernon
06-04-05, 18:38
This is a self-hypnosis program I found, (you can copy it and past to word etc) I am going to try to past it here it is in word format. I also have another one a lot bigger and it’s in acrobat format. If anyone wants any of these, PM me your email and I will send both to you, then u can read on PC or print etc. take care all Vernon.

SELF-HYPNOSIS AND MENTAL IMAGERY

With a little practice, most people can be hypnotized and can use self-hypnosis. Hypnosis allows us to experience thoughts, fantasies and images as almost real (Soskis, 1986). The hypnotized person knows the experience is not real, however, because he/she doesn't act like it is real. Under hypnosis we may vividly imagine being at the beach but we don't take off our clothes and try to jump into the water. Yet, by experiencing a situation differently, e.g. seeing public speaking as a way of influencing minds, we may act and feel differently (more positive, less scared).
The mental scenes can seem very real to us but we know it is all just in our head. It is the same experience as watching a film and feeling we are there, we really get "into it" and become afraid, inspired, sexually aroused, very sad and so on. This imagery is something we do, not something done to us. It used to be thought that the hypnotist gained power over the subject through "animal magnetism." Actually, there can be no hypnotic experience without the subject's agreement and participation. Thus, all hypnosis is in a sense self-hypnosis. Could anyone force you against your will to get deeply emotionally involved in a good book or movie? No. But you can do it by yourself...and feel wonderful.
No one knows who discovered hypnosis. No doubt a storyteller thousands of years ago. We do know that hypnosis was used to treat illness long before Christ. During the Middle Ages, priests used self-hypnosis to make God more real to them and to intensify their relationship with God. Hypnosis has been used by physicians and faith healing by preachers to cure people. In the early part of this century, a Frenchman, Emile Coue' (1922), popularized the idea of auto-suggestion. His most famous self-instruction was, "Every day in every way I'm getting better and better."
At first, you are likely to believe that an experienced hypnotist could perform impressive feats but you couldn't possibly do much. That is a reflection of the stories you have read and movies you have seen. Research has shown (Fromm, 1975) that some people reach deeper trance states in self-hypnosis than with a hypnotist. They have more vivid, richer imagery. Self-hypnosis costs nothing, is easy to produce, and allows the person to make changes in the procedures so that they work best for him/her. So, again, an old therapy technique may become even more effective in the hands of an informed self-helper (Fisher, 1991). Alman & Lambrou (1991) also provide a self-hypnosis induction method and specific self-instructions for several specific problems, like self-confidence, pain relief, weight loss, phobia reduction, etc.
It is not necessary to be hypnotized in order to have vivid imaginary experiences. Daydreams are vivid. The basic idea of hypnosis and mental imagery is this: if you want to do something, imagine yourself doing it over and over. This is also called goal rehearsal. The idea is father to the act. Books by Lazarus (1977) and Fanning (1988) are filled with examples of visualization (without hypnosis) serving many purposes.
Purposes
By using hypnosis or mental imagery (without hypnosis) a person can sometimes produce impressive results. Perhaps the most astonishing is the control of pain. Many people (not everybody can) have had dental work, surgery, and babies without pain. One of the easiest experiences to have is relaxation which can counteract fears and stress. If your behavior or someone else's is hard to understand, the key is likely to be uncovering the t

Meg
06-04-05, 19:24
Nice one vernon .

Thanks for taking the trouble to post it

A few things with hypnosis often bother panickers

a) the dropping feeling as you relax is normal and is just the body letting go of tension and moving to a deeper state of relaxation

b) you can not 'go' anywhere ,

c) There cannot be subliminal messages inserted that make you do strange things

d) You can always open an eye at any time and be safe and sound in your own room.

e) You can not be 'taken over' by a therapist.

f) You are always in total control at all times during your session

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
06-04-05, 19:51
Thanks Vern. I will have a read of that.

There is this one on my site too..

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/selfhypnosis.htm

Nicola

della
06-04-05, 19:54
hi vern
read the article
self hypnosis is very much like visualisation as you go through the same steps to prepare to relax first.....i must say it is very good in helping to combat anxiety symptoms[^]

seh1980
06-04-05, 20:17
Thanks vern - looks good!! :D

florence
06-04-05, 21:03
Thanks a lot Vern for that self hypnosis post. ;)

Hi Meg , I recently started hypnosis with therapist, and I did notice that sensation "dropping" and "not feeling my body" , which made me slightly uncomfortable but I understood it was part of relaxation. But , what a weird feeling! lol. A bit scary at first. Hopefully with practice, wont be as troublesome.
Thanks.
Florence. x

**See the world more as what it is, less as what you are.**