PDA

View Full Version : Private counselling?

redballoons
15-05-08, 19:26
Hi I am on a waiting list for a counsellor at my gp, i have been told i can have 6 sessions on nhs counselling. I know the waiting list is quite long however and was wondering if it would be better for me to see a private counsellor?

does any one have any experience of this? would it be better for me to wait for the nhs one? I would rather get it free (obviously) but i am willing to pay if it is going to be better in the long run!
soph

marie1974
15-05-08, 19:34
hi ya i would say both can have there good and bad, i am going private as i couldnt get nhs but this costs me 40 pound per week but i been lucky as she brilliant i been 4 times and already helping me as i having cbt. the only thing i will say is not sure if 6 sessions are enough i suppose it depends on your problems i know with private its alot longer but they do charge so not sure really i think mayb wait for nhs and see how it goes and whether you connect with him or her if you like it stick with it if not and you cant afford private alot of charitys provide free counselling too if you look them up on internet. goodluck xxxx

samc100
16-05-08, 09:04
Hi - I saw a councellor privately which was set up via my work for 6 sessions. When those were up - my therapist moved me onto her NHS list and I had 10 free sessions.

Cos' I am pregnant and wants to keep her beady eye on me so I get another 10 sessions. You might find after your 6 sessions on the NHS they reassess you and you could end with more sessions.

So the private therapist is the same one on the NHS in my area !!!

But finding a good therapist is very much a personal thing.