PDA

View Full Version : The many symptoms of peri menopause/menopause.........

Trixie
17-05-08, 06:26
I wonder how many ladies on this board are suffering symptoms of the peri-menopause?

I always though it just entailed hot flushes and no periods but when I read up about it on a fantastic site called Power Surge http://www.power-surge.com/php/forums/index.php?act=idx I was stunned.

I use to wake up some mornings trembling, my whole body shook gently. I found out that this was a symptom, I use to get what I called 'Jelly Legs' again another symptom. The list is endless depression, anxiety, tremors, etc etc. There is actually one thread entitled 'Am I loosing my mind?'

It is well worth a look at this site is it a real eye opener:yesyes:

kate
17-05-08, 07:25
Trixie, I joined that site a few weeks ago but forgot all about it so have never posted :blush:.

I agree, the list is endless! Very informative site.

Kate

Cathy V
17-05-08, 11:02
Hi trixie, yes me too with the symptoms of peri-menopuase. Even tho anx and panic, ectopics etc, had been partof my life on and off since my 20's, when i started coming up to menopause the anx symptoms seemed to go crazy for about 3 years until my periods stopped (after horrendously heavy ones). After periods stopped only the hot flushes remained and the anx seemed to go down to a lower, more manageble level. Now they say that as more time goes on without periods, the low hormone levels have brought back alot of the anx probs again....and of course the meds theyve put me on for the anx has made it even worse! can't win can we :wacko:

A nurse once told me that hormones have alot to answer to!:lac:

Best wishes
Cathy xxx

helenclaire
17-05-08, 12:24
Hi,
i am going through the menopause at the moment and have been feeling really bad, the anxiety has been alot worse and i am getting more panic attacks, it would seem alot of anxiety symptoms and menopause symptoms are the same so its difficult to know which is which.
I will be glad when its over.
Helen

Cathy V
17-05-08, 16:41
Hi Helen, they say a hot flush can cause a panic attack and make your heart beat very fast or jump around. Like you, ive never known whats causing what!:wacko: and nobody has ever suggested HRT so ive kinda soldiered on regardless.

It was only when my blood pressure was high last year that they gave me meds, but they gave me propranolol for the bp and also becoz i was getting migraines. But these meds eventually made me feel worse (and gain so much weight) so was changed to another lower dose beta blocker a few weeks ago and these feel better than the others, but not completely ok on them, still have some side effects :shrug:

Cathy xxx :)

Trixie
29-05-08, 16:31
Hi Helen, they say a hot flush can cause a panic attack and make your heart beat very fast or jump around. Like you, ive never known whats causing what!:wacko: and nobody has ever suggested HRT so ive kinda soldiered on regardless.

It was only when my blood pressure was high last year that they gave me meds, but they gave me propranolol for the bp and also becoz i was getting migraines. But these meds eventually made me feel worse (and gain so much weight) so was changed to another lower dose beta blocker a few weeks ago and these feel better than the others, but not completely ok on them, still have some side effects :shrug:

Cathy xxx :)

It is amazing what ailments are caused by the big M:ohmy:

thenunn
08-11-10, 17:23
Hi ladies..I have had panic attacks / anxiety in the past and have seemed to be great for the last 6 years ..however now 49 and in peri I am finding they are returning the week or so before my monthly..and it's doing me in lol. You battle to get better to regain your confidence and calm and then WHAM..here we go again.!! Who'd be a woman lol.
I am on citalapram 20mg ..probably for life now as doc says they wouild just give me this for peri meno or HRT (which I do not really want to take) he has also said that at the time when things get bad anxiety wise tio up my dose ..so this morning I upped it But ..not sure I like that idea.I have ahd a lot of emotional stuff going on in the last 2 months and am very tired so ofcourse all that will not help. Anyway I have made the decision to reduce/get rid of all caffeine..to get to bed early..to increase exercise and to try some soothing scents and mediatation as these have all helpred in the apst.The one thing I know I should do is stop smoking !! but that just seems impossible at present. Unless any one ahs any good ideas.
off to check out this site now as it's a long time since I've been here :)
love and good thoughts to all
jan

cromford
10-07-11, 19:38
Hi. Have only just joined and read this thread. I too first had panic and anxiety problems 30 years ago and have successfully managed them for the past 15years. Now, overnight, I have gone backwards. I am waiting to see a therapyst (Tuesday). I think my problems have come back due to being peri-m. I am 50 and my periods, which were always regular as clockwork are now all over the place.

I have just checked out the power surge web site and it all makes much more sense.

I will have a chat to my Doctor tomorrow to see what she thinks and go from there.

Thanks for all the threads that lead me to this.:)

suzeelew
16-10-12, 17:22
im not sure if i can add this link? but thiis literally saved my life....i had sorted my life out then wham!! i literally decsended into what cn only be described as the worst part of Hell...words can not describe the utter feelins of fear, insanity and terrifying fight i hd on my hands....
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...194837377.html (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/menopause/msg07194837377.html)
this link and many other sites gave me the answers i hd searched for for 9 long and hell ridden months...i am pleased to say i am on the mend now but not without ssris, diazapam, beta blockers, low dose of quetiaine and zopiclone.....numerous visits to psychologists and cbt counsellors.....
if i can help or save even one woman from this hell of perimenopausal anxiety then i will be happy...............there is light at the end of the tunnel!!! keep strong and get support from everywhere and everyone!!! x

merlotsmum
17-10-12, 14:41
Thanks suzeelew, this is me all over. 7 months post hysterectomy, kept ovaries and been through hell xx

suzeelew
17-10-12, 18:48
merlotsmum...it is like a hell on earth...when does it end.. im feeling a bit strange again today...one minute i feel great then next thing panic and anxiety.....oh great being a woman eh lol.............xx
have u tried hrt? i am seriously considering it but not sure how effective it would be for anxiety in oeri menopause and of course there are serious worries about increased risks of breast cncer etc...........has anone tried hrt please? xx

Tessar
19-10-12, 10:30
bit of a wow moment reading all these posts. i've been peri-menopausal for a couple of years or more. been so up & down. lots to contend with in life generally too. i do agree how you battle to get better to regain your confidence &calm and then WHAM..here we go again.!! yeah who'd be a woman. i'm taking prozac now because of intense anger. had pmt that lasted a month. was 3 weeks late. then when i finally had a period; it lasted for what seemed like a lifetime. i think i could cope with the physical side but the mind alterting pmt is an absolute killer. it alters my personality so dramatically that prozac was the only solution.

Croline
26-10-12, 09:41
Hi there, I am experiencing all these symptoms and I would love some advice.

I am only 29 but I have felt like I've been experiencing early menopause for about a year now.

My periods have all but stopped. My moods have calmed now but I went through several months of terrible anger and mood swings. My skin was terrible but is now better than it's ever been. All my symptoms seemed to match up.

Recently I've suffered terrible anxiety - I've had a really bad month with a lot of trauma (moving house, dog being put down, money troubles) and this has led to physical symptoms such as intense leg pains (of cause, I immediately thought I had cancer or DVT). It's weird as before this year, I've never thought of myself as an anxious person.

However after visiting this forum it seems menopause and anxiety are related. But it's a bit of a "chicken and egg" situation. Which comes first, the anxiety or the menopause?!? Would really appreciate any advice as I've not been to my doctor yet (funny enough, phobic of needles and worried he will want to blood test me)

Tessar
04-03-13, 09:53
Hmmnnnn good old menopause symptoms eh?

As ever I'm having problems with getting hot. I'm due in a few days and am just ridiculously hot at times. Especially during the night. I keep getting a rash on the back of my neck, where the skin has a natural crease in it.

When I woke up this morning I'd got this darned rash the worst I've even had. I got a lecture from my partner to "go and get it sorted out"...... its just where i get hot and then I suppose I sweat and bingo, there's the rash. I must admit it was very fiery today and there was a 2nd patch further down.
That second bit was I think caused by a necklace I wear, so I've taken that off. I have put canesten on it today as it was itchy but that seems to have calmed it down as it's nowhere near as red anymore. but it takes days to go away. I have made a dr's appt but really if its hormonal there's not a lot i can do (other than things that might help my hormones like giving up caffiene I guess?). Oh, my appt isnt for another 10 days as that's the earliest i can get.

I've also noticed the skin on my lower cheeks is much more stingy after a bath now. i dont use soap on my face ever as i have very sensitive skin. I'm sure that my skin is drier generally and this is very likely menopausal.

I'm loathe to go on HRT as I dont trust what it might do to me but I do know I am going to have to sort this out. I really hate hormones & am full of PMT at the mo. AT times like this I do wish I'd been born a man!!! (sorry any gentlemen reading as you'll probably tell me that's insensitive & that being male has it's troubles too....)

bye for now everyone and I hope your hormones are behaving.

quinnell
04-03-13, 10:27
god im glad i have just read this i feel i am going mad anxiety is so high at mo im dizzy nearly 24/7 went to a market with my partner yesterday morn felt as if i was going to fall at any moment i didnt but what i did do was break down crynig in the middle of the market my partner managed to walk me back to the car i drove a short way then it felt like i was on a roller coaster and felt sick i managed to pull over to A park and we walked the dogs my partner drove home and i layed on the setee this morn i woke up at 4am sweating went to the loo and noticed i had my monthly my consultant has given me tranexamic to start this month to take 4 days each time i have my monthly if they dont work then i to have to have a hysteretomy im 45 and am now wondering if it is my hormones that ar making my anxiety so bad I HAVE HAD ANXIETY MANY YEARS but not as bad as this and with these horrendous symptoms this has been an eye opener for me thanks a lot .x

clio51
04-03-13, 18:27
Ladies have a look at menopausematters website as forum as well as lots of info about symptoms pain,anxiety,depression herbal remedies.:hugs:

Tish
05-03-13, 04:50
Tessar, skin problems are another symptom of the menopause. I've never suffered from eczema before but now have patches on my elbows and also have a very itchy scalp. One of many things we have to put up with I'm afraid.

Tessar
05-03-13, 09:23
Tessar, skin problems are another symptom of the menopause. I've never suffered from eczema before but now have patches on my elbows and also have a very itchy scalp. One of many things we have to put up with I'm afraid.
yeah i had a feeling it was all connected. i've always had fine skin, i have to make sure i moisturise well otherwise my hands in winter would bleed. my face has dried out in the past but the itchyness or a feeling of almost like stinging or tiny pins being stuck in me is a new one in the last few months. i really do need to look at my diet; generally i eat at least 75% of the time what I should do but the 25% (and too much in quantity) does let me down.
at least today i have been put out of my misery as i have started my period. thats good news......
i think the hormones i have now are rather like going through puberty again!!! arrrgghhhhhh. It woudl be nice if they were accompanied by youthful energy and looks again eh?

Tessar
07-03-13, 20:45
My body is doing its best to implode..... Did I ever mention how much I hate hormones, headaches, period pains, cramps in my stomach related to my periods? Feeling icky because of the headache and everything else conspiring to make me feel I'LL......???? Well, if I didn't mention it before, I have now. :-( Time for some tablets me thinks.