PDA

View Full Version : ectopic heatbeat/pva/palpatations

jellybelly
17-05-08, 16:37
Hi
Can anyone tell me the difference between ectopic heartbeat and palpatations or are they the same thing? I think I could cope better if they were the same and I could call them palpatations, it doesnt sound as serious as ECTPOIC HEARTBEATS ( i hope this is making sense to someone!!). Having a really bad time with them at the moment, I have had a particulary bad week this week and they have come back with avengence!!!
I am due in court to give evidence and I am so scared that my heart is going to completely give up, I have spoken to the Dr who has perscribed me 2mg Valium but i have not 'cashed in' the perscription as I have heard horror stories about getting addicted to them, i realise 2mg is only a small dosage but........
Jellybelly x x x:blush:

Cathy V
17-05-08, 18:25
Hi jellybean,
Ive read that ectopics (also known as missed beats and PV) and flutters, jumps bangs and thumps...they all come under the umbrella of Palpitations to the medical profession. I always thought that palpitations were only if your heart is beating fast and that the ectopics were a sperate thing, but according to the docs its all called palps.

I don't really get the racing heart problem, tho i know alot do, but i do suffer very badly from the ectopics...the 'missed beats' and have off done off and on for some time. Whenever i get a run of them i read up on ectopics on here, or talk to someone about it and it reassures me that my heart is ok....for a while :blush: I think the reaseon ive let it control me over the years is that each time they come back i always think " ok they haven't killed me so far , but maybe this time hey will" and so the whole anx and panic about them starts again:wacko:

Over the years the docs have all said that 'in no way will your heart ever stop beating because of missed beats' but we all know that it takes alot of strength to ignore them...they are so bl...y uncomfortable....and scary.

I know deep down somewhere inside they are nothing really to worry about, if they were i wouldn't be here after all these years would i? but hey...who's perfect?

Best wishes
Cathy xxx :)

Cathy V
17-05-08, 18:27
Sorry about the spellings mistakes, i'm using a german keyboard and some of the letters are in a different place:wacko:

Cathy x

Cathy V
17-05-08, 18:31
Oh, also i forgot to mention the valium. I can understand your reluctance to take them if they are addictive, and sometimes the docs willpescribe the odd one or two for certain situations, such as before getting on a plane or giving a speech etc. It might be worth talking to your doc and asking if its possible to do it this way instead of taking them every day?

Just a thought
Cathy xx

amandaj
17-05-08, 19:40
hi jellybean i tottaly understand where your comming from , i get those feelings day in and day out your heart wont give up though honestly,diazapam isnt addictive in small amounts but it does help

amandaxx

Cathy V
18-05-08, 00:47
Sorry jellybelly, i don't know why we are calling you jellybean I thinks its because we already have a jellybean!! apologies :blush:

cathy xx

amandaj
18-05-08, 11:28
oh sorry jellybelly for calling you wrong name also

debera
18-05-08, 13:05
hi jelly belly
sorry you are having a rough time with the ectopics too at the moment. i know they are very hard ot deal with. but as i others have said the less we fear them they will go away. I sure hope so.
love debera:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

polly123
18-05-08, 17:04
Hi Jelly Belly
I had awfull palpitations for 2 years, then last years started to have really bad anxiety and with that along the missed or thumping heartbeats, what a mess i was in, i had a full blood test and another ecg, all normal it was down to anxiety. They have now almost gone but i do still get them every so often ive actually had some this weekend. My gp also prescribed me some diazepam they will help to calm you down and they are only addictive if you become dependant on them ive only taken 2 tblets in the last 6 months, anyway i hope ive helped you in some way i wish you all the best.
TAKE CARE POLLY XXX