PDA

View Full Version : Trains and public transport

PanicsAlot
18-05-08, 23:33
I'm suffering with more anxiety and panic attacks then ever at the moment. I have to go on a train tomorrow to commute in to work, nearly 2 hours on train to london at about 5am and then get a 40min tube...REALLY worrying about this... has anyone got any advice about how to control anxious/panicky thoughts on the train and tube? Or advice when I have an attack, which will needless to say make me feel more anxious/panicky that I can't get off and people will see me having an attack...

help...?

Thank you

PanicsAlot
18-05-08, 23:34
ps, whats worse is i really dont want to go into work or back to london (where i live and work)x

Cathy V
19-05-08, 00:00
Hiya, I don't like trains but thats only because they allow so many people on that they usually become very crowded and thats when my panic kicks in. Ive been known to get off a train in a panic if i see alot of people getting on and leave my daughter sitting looking at my empty seat! So for me its not the train itself, but how many people are on it. Sometimes i upgrade to 1st class just for a bit of space and calm. So a 5am train would be ok for me as the train would be fairly empty! In fact i prefer to be on a plane because i know that it won't be crowded, yes its up in the air and i can't escape, but having no crowds is the lesser of the 2 evils :blush:

I'm sorry this is not helping you to cope with the situation, but just to say i share your fear and understand it. I'm assuming you know all of the 'breathing exercises' we are told to try to help with the panic? The breathing thing doesn't always work for me, but since ive joined this forum, i have to say that whenever i feel a bit dodgy, i think of all of us on nmp, going through the same feelings every day...we can't all be ill, so we HAVE to accept that its our nerves and if this is so, then why would a train journey be so bad? its just a train journey. Or perhaps its whats waiting at the end of it that gives you the anxiety? :huh:

Regards
Cathy xxx:)

minihaha
19-05-08, 00:33
hi there, i have suffered in the past with anxiety on public transport - buses i can kinda cope with as they make frequent stops and i dont feel so trapped. Trains i am getting better with i have to say , planes i still cant do (despite having enjoyed flying for most of my early adult life)

With regards train travel, here is my advice on coping with the journey:

1. Get to station early (but not so early that you have time to analyse the journey ahead of you)
2. Focus on the purpose of the journey rather than the journey itself
3. Always carry a bottle of water - might sound daft but it does help
4. Remind yourself that this will be a relaxing journey - you dont have to concentrate or drive and deal with rush hour traffic in a car - use the time on the train to relax and prepare for your meeting etc that awaits you.
5. If the carriage gets a bit crowded and busy then use any available resource to zone out - it might your ipod , book or newspaper. I find if i have my ipod loaded with feel good tunes , it does help.
6. When you get off the train give yourself a wee pat on the back and be proud that you got there and the next journey wont be so hard.

I hope it all goes well, best of luck xx