PDA

View Full Version : Another successful dental trip

Gregor
19-05-08, 02:15
Hi,

I havent really been too active on these boards for a while. I try to keep my distance to aid my recovery on my own, although i do recognise the importance of the forum - got me through some very tough times.

Anyway, my post is about my recent trips to the dentist. I've had two goes in the past couple of months. I've put it off for so long because of my anxiety and a very bad experience the last time out.

Now, last Saturday, i went to the dentist in what turned out to be a 4 hour ordeal! he started giving me a filling and decided half-way through that my tooth should be taken out! so, in what was the most painful dental operation ever, i had my tooth taken out. I say it was painful and it was the worst pain ever i think.

My point, though, is that, although is was that painful, i managed to get through it and not just 'survive', but comfortably through it. I never felt my anxiety the whole time.

I have spent the last week in pain though since then, but i'm okay now.

My anxiety is fluctuating a lot at the moment. I am determined not to let it beat me as i have done in the past.

One thing is that i wish i could help the many other people on here with similar or other anxiety problems. I have got through some very very bad times and i know others may be the same right now. If i could think how i got over my problems i could maybe help one or two. That is my wish - to pass on what i can to others.

Gregor

Hope 2
19-05-08, 12:04
Hi Gregor :D

Firstly I want to say Well Done going to the dentist despite your anxiety. I have never 'enjoyed' going to the dentist and have always put it off until I have been in agony and then of course, I needed intensive treatment each time. I have spent hundreds of pounds to date. 7 years ago I developed OCD which was related to contamination so this made me totally and utterly terrified especially of anything clinical especially dentists and GP's. Several hundred pounds later and much trauma (cos I have 'unusual' dental roots :mad: )........... I am now happy to say I am now okay about the dentist. Scared still but okay. That will do for me ! So like you I want to let other members know .......... YOU CAN DO IT.

Secondly I am really pleased that you have continued to not allow anxiety to take over your life. I am in a place recently where I think I might just be getting a handle on mine :yesyes: . A lot of that is down to life events and NMP. How caring your are to offer to help others. Good for you and may you continue to improve.

Keep in touch
Hope xx

ps will have a peek at yr article

Hope 2
19-05-08, 12:09
Me Again

Just to add, very inspiring article Gregor. Wishing you all the very best both personally and with your business :yesyes: .

Cheerio
Hope xx

Karen
19-05-08, 12:47
I just wanted to say I think you are very courageous to go through all of that and to actually cope so well with it and be so positive. Well done :yesyes:

Thanks for sharing. I've avoided the dentist for the past couple of years even though my teeth are in a state due to the effects of my eating disorder so I think you are very brave.

Karen xx