PDA

View Full Version : My fears are back!

florence
23-11-03, 16:41
Hi all, I am Florence and I've been having anxiety, panic attacks and depression for 8 years. It hasn't been permanent. It's been on and off. I have experienced many phobias and fears and thought I wasn't normal, that I was going insane.
Those phobias and fears include agoraphobia, claustrophobia, fear of the dark, fear of being alone, fear of going to sleep, fear of death, fear of fainting and probably many others.
Before it all happened (when I was 19), I was full of life and free from fears....and it all came to me suddenly.
My life has been more grey than pink but today I have a lovely husband and a beautiful son. But yet, the fears are all coming back.
A week ago, I was told by the doctor that I had an infection(either bladder or P.I.D). So I had to be on 2 different antibiotics. I've been really sick and feeling terribly unwell(due to side effects). And all this feelings triggered the return of my fears and anxiety.
Last night, I found really difficult to fall asleep as I was obsessed with negative thoughts and a feeling of being "vague" and "unreal" occured, almost like I was disappearing, then I thought I was going to die and it ended up in a panic attack.
Has anyone here ever had similar experiences or feelings?
Please reply, it would help me a lot! xxxxx

nomorepanic
23-11-03, 18:57
Florence

I have moved this posting under "Panic" and not the "Welcome" topic

Nicola

Meg
23-11-03, 19:31
Hi Florence,

You've done really well to cope with all those phobias and fears .

The vague and unreal sensations are very common in panic attcks , they're called depersonalisation- just your brain chemicals getting confused and protecting itself. It will pass naturally but quicker with lots of relaxation, positive thinking and exercise.

What you're feeling is only a temporary blip due to feeling genuinely unwell and being on antibxs. T

The fears are created and perpetuated by you so by you managing to overcoming them before( well done) it's exactly the same this time.

Do not believe in them. Do not reiterate to yourself (as you did in your post) that they are coming back or your brain will think that you want them back and try to oblige.

Finish your antibxs, hope your infection has gone and get back to doing what you were doing before this started and it shall pass. Do try not to dwell on it at all. Put it all down to unforunate sideffects if you can.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
23-11-03, 20:10
Hiya Florence,
Welcome to our little family. All of the symptoms you described in your post are all very common. We have all experienced all or atleast some of those symptoms ourselves. This to shall pass. As Meg said "DO NOT DWELL ON THIS AT ALL"!!!!!! it will pass like it has in the past. I do hope you are feeling better after taking all of your antibiotics. Do come back to let us know how you are getting along.

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

florence
24-11-03, 17:39
Thanks all for your replies and support.I am still really sick , and I stopped the antibiotics 2 days ago.
I still have awful nights where I keep worrying and feel fearful.I got some sleeping pills by the G.P , hopefully they will help.I feel really tearful at the moment as I am depressed too. I do need a treatment but don't know which one. I've tried efexor recently but felt even more anxious.Do you know what possible medication could suit me? Would Cipramil help with the fears? Thanks for your replies.
Florence.xxx

Meg
24-11-03, 17:58
Florence,

How about considering some CBT counselling instead of or as well as meds. All SSRI's often make you feel worse initially - it can take a couple of weeks to settle in with them before you feel better.

CBT will do you more long term good in learning to cope with future changes and current fears and negative thinking in your life.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

florence
24-11-03, 18:08
Hi Meg,
Thanks so much for your reply. I am actually on a waiting list to see a psychologist and I've never heard of CBT (I am french).Its been more than 2 months that i've been on the waiting list and feel that I cannot cope with the waiting. I feel desperate.

uryjm
25-11-03, 23:05
Florence
Be reassured that what you're going through has happened to many of us. I can go for months without panic and then, for no particular reason, it all floods back. Or something, like a brush with the flu, can trigger it off. (A particularly bad hangover seems to one of my favourite ones!)Try not to be too hard on yourself, and determine to take control over it -because you can. Good luck.
Jim

Jim

florence
26-11-03, 13:59
Jim
Thank you so much for your concern.I've had two peaceful nights (due to sleeping pills), it was needed.Feeling a bit better today and less anxious.I am starting a yoga class on monday 1st of december and hopefully every other mondays after that.This will do me good. Thanks.
Florence.xxxxxxx

diana
26-11-03, 16:52
Hiya Florence,

Good to hear you are feeling better. I think when we can get in a good nights sleep, that takes the edge off. The yoga will help you to relax. That`s what you really need right now. Keep up the positive thoughts and activities, you will get through this just fine.

Diana xxxx