PDA

View Full Version : Bupa Health Check

pigtailplaits
19-05-08, 15:14
Hello Everyone,

I am struggling to accept that i am suffering from anxiety. I have always been a really strong person who knows her own mind. In December i started to feel really strange (headaches, blurred vision, dizziness, nausea) over a few weeks i developed an obsession with a brain tumor. I have had an MRI, eyetest, blood test, x-ray, ultrasound and give urine samples. My doc is sure it is anxiety but i just cant see it. I know my body and it doesnt feel right. I have been back to the docs but they wont do anymore tests but i am sure they are missing something. Anyway, my friend has had a full BUPA body check. They check every part of your body for illness (head, eyes, breasts, tummy - everywhere) the only thing is it costs £500. I am not made of money by any means, i only work part time as a secretary but i cant stop thinking about this test. Has anyone else had it done or would anyone recommend it? I wasnt convinced by any of my 'all clear' results so far but in my head they were ages ago (over 2mths ago). I have blurred vision everyday and its really getting me down.

jellybean43
19-05-08, 15:32
Pigtails I fully understand how you feel cos i know my body and I dont think it feels right despite having all the necessary tests. My tests were 5 months ago and i think things like"well it could have developed worse since then and it didnt show up in my blood at that time cos it hadnt really developed" How crazy do i sound lol???
Anyhow, personally I WOULDNT have the full body BUPA check cos that would only add to my anxiety. I mean, crikey, how many tests results would I be waiting for then>??Waiting for the results of blood tests at Xmas and an X ray result were the worse few days of my life!!!!!!!!
But only you can decide what will make you feel better.
Regarding the blurred vision---I suffer classic migraines and this is one of the main symptoms i suffer.
Take care xxxx

Trixie
19-05-08, 15:44
Hello Everyone,

I am struggling to accept that i am suffering from anxiety. I have always been a really strong person who knows her own mind. In December i started to feel really strange (headaches, blurred vision, dizziness, nausea) over a few weeks i developed an obsession with a brain tumor. I have had an MRI, eyetest, blood test, x-ray, ultrasound and give urine samples. My doc is sure it is anxiety but i just cant see it. I know my body and it doesnt feel right. I have been back to the docs but they wont do anymore tests but i am sure they are missing something. Anyway, my friend has had a full BUPA body check. They check every part of your body for illness (head, eyes, breasts, tummy - everywhere) the only thing is it costs £500. I am not made of money by any means, i only work part time as a secretary but i cant stop thinking about this test. Has anyone else had it done or would anyone recommend it? I wasnt convinced by any of my 'all clear' results so far but in my head they were ages ago (over 2mths ago). I have blurred vision everyday and its really getting me down.

What did the MRI show?

fairyloveheart
19-05-08, 17:02
My mum and dad have both had the bupa health check, but I don't think they had any checks on the brain/head. It was heart, breathing and lots of q's about eating and exercise?? I don't think it is a thorough check on every bit (you'd need a full body scan for that) I think it would cover the tests you've already had and that you have probably spoken to professionals who are more highly qualified in their field than the person who does the generalist health check?! I know it is really hard though - I myself, have had a ct scan of my brain (and I'm thinking what if they missed something - should I have had an MRI which can see more), and seen a neurologist and an ENT - none of whom have found anything wrong with me, so I am just stuck with facial pain with nowhere else to turn!! xxx Big hugs xxx

Trixie
19-05-08, 18:33
If there was anything to see on the scan it would have shown up. When I had my MRI they injected a 'dye' into my arm which improves the pictures so any abnormalities can be seen.:)

maz67
20-05-08, 17:49
Hi pigtailplaits

I am so sorry to hear that you are still worrying.

As i said to you before the MRI scans show up everything i had one the day before my brain tumour was removed.

I wish there was something i could do to reassure you and i know what you are going through.

PM me anytime if you need another chat.

Mandy xx
:bighug1:

Trixie
20-05-08, 18:21
My brain tumour shone up like a beam from a lighthouse:ohmy: I am due to have another MRI the first week in June I am hoping it will be the same size.:unsure:

If there had been anything to see they would have found it.

miss motown
20-05-08, 22:40
hi hun i had a bupa health check in december as i was so convinced there was something more serious wrong with me and couldent exept it was anxiety.well ive got to say it was worth every penny they checked everything my colestral was alittle high but not dangerously high everything else was fine i spent an hour with the doctor who sat and listened one advice he did give me was to stop drinking coffee ur change to decaf which i did and ive got to be honest its the best thing i done i havent had any panic attacks since and i feel a lot better for it,you say it was going to cost you over 500 i payed 350 for mine i dont no wether the price has gone up but thats all i payed £500 is alot to pay have you rang them to confirm the price

pigtailplaits
20-05-08, 22:47
Thanks for your replies on this - just wondering miss motown, what tests did they do exactly? No I havent had a direct quote, just heard this price from my friend. Did they check every part of your body?

miss motown
27-05-08, 21:23
hi pigtail sorry i havent been on for a while,yes they checked everything eg eyesight hearing colestral body mass had xrays took blood tests for everything had mamagram also smear also had a heart trace etc.anyway hun its well worth the money and it does put your mind at ease so if i were you id think about it.takecare,