PDA

View Full Version : I am getting there at long last

dianes
19-05-08, 17:26
Hi everyone :D

As the title says I feel I am getting there:yesyes: I have now stopped taking 'aids' with me every time I go out. I used to take: magic water, MP3 player, paper bag, rescue remedy and 'Padre Pio' relic (for good measure, I am catholic lol.:blush: ) My support worker who calls out to see me once a month pointed out that I was in fact preparing to have a panic attack by doing this so I gradually left everything behind.

I have had a good couple of weeks spurred on by reading all the success posts on here. Today I decided I would travel by car with hubby to our nearest Savercentre (I haven't been there for the past 5yrs). I was very anxious as I have always had a problem travelling by car and it has been made worse by the anx/panic/agoraphobia which I started with 3yrs ago.

The same old thought came as soon as I reached the front door, 'I can't do this'....what if?...etc. I firmly told myself I COULD DO THIS and got in the car. I chatted nineteen to the dozen to hubby as we drove along, jumped and swore when I saw a lorry bearing down on us (I thought it was going to hit us :blush: ) made myself look down on the motorway as we went over the bridge, breathed my way through each panicky moment until we arrived at the store. We went inside, walked around and bought a microwave to replace our old one which had died the death last week. I continued to babble on the way home and breathe through each panic.

I am at long last learning to live my life NOT avoiding doing things that frighten me, but trying to meet them HEAD ON.:yesyes: :yesyes: I no longer stress or beat myself up about bad days. I used to have bad days before the anxiety kicked in everyone does, I accept them now and enjoy each day.:yesyes: :yesyes:

Sorry for the long post folks, Hope everyone is doing o.k.:bighug1:

Diane

'Remember, your imagination is always much worse than the reality'

smudgie
19-05-08, 17:35
:flowers: :flowers: hi Dianes

What a lovely post, it was really nice to read it. You have made a hugh acheivement, well done to you.

I struggled with panic and anxiety and woulf fear doing anything and my hubby taught me how to face the fear, i understand where your coming from and Im glad |I started to face them.

I also know Its not easy and takes time steps forward and steps back but you will soon see that the steps forward get to be strides.

Well done to you:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

smudgie

lostsoul
19-05-08, 18:36
Dianne

What an inspiring post - I guess it proves the only way to beat panick is to face it head on, its such a difficult thing to do. Especially when you have generalised anxiety too - Well done !!!

Something I'm learning fast is, it doesnt matter how many meds you take the anxiety will still be there unless you challenge it - I've just come back from the doctors, I had to wait to see him for an hour in the surgery (he was running late I always make sure I arrive dead on time for my appoitments no earlier so i dont have to sit in the surgery with other people. On this occasion I had no choice - it was hard but I managed it - next step is too go out for a meal on saturday with my girlfriends family, that is a realy biggy for me. I'm worried about ruining everyones evening if I have a panic attack.

Until four months ago I would have had no problem doing this at all.

Well done again!!!:yesyes::yesyes::yesyes::yesyes::yesyes::y esyes:

dawny
19-05-08, 18:57
diane...well done your post will be an insperation for others.....

i like you decided that enough was enough...its a great feeling when we succeed and yes we have bad days, but the good out weigh them

good luck in your journey

dawny

blackie
20-05-08, 12:19
Hi
Firstly WELL DONE. You are fantastic!!!:yesyes:

The same old thought came as soon as I reached the front door, 'I can't do this'....what if?...etc. I firmly told myself I COULD DO THIS and got in the car.

This is what happens to me. Get to the door and constently think i cannot do this. Well done for changing that to I CAN do this.

I am at long last learning to live my life NOT avoiding doing things that frighten me, but trying to meet them HEAD ON.:yesyes: :yesyes:

This is so important to beating anxiety and agoraphobia for good. You really are inspiring to me as i am tring to do the same thing, face up to the panic and start leaving the house and dealing with the symptoms.

I really hope it goes well for you and you continue with all your hard work.

Best wishes
Blackie:bighug1:

honeybee3939
20-05-08, 12:43
Hi Diane

What a lovely thread to read:yesyes: , WELL DONE on all your achievements, sounds like you have learnt how to cope and not let that panic win!:yesyes:

Good on you gal:yesyes:

Keep up the good work

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

dianes
20-05-08, 19:07
Thanks everyone for your replies and support. I know where you are coming from Dave, I was invited out for a family meal by my son and daughter and their families for Mothers day. I was really stressed about this and recieved some really helpful tips from ppl on here. My daughter arranged the meal at our local chinese which was a buffet, so I could go up with hubby and help myself. My hubby phoned the resturant and asked for a table by the door so I wouldn't feel trapped. I coped really well and found myself actually enjoying myself. Fingers crossed for yours.

I remember the first time I left the house to go on a walk Blackie, my support worker had told me 'Noboby ever died of a panic attack'. I was attempting to walk a short distance down the road with hubby. As I clung on to him for grim death the panic hit, I found myself repeating over and over again out loud 'Nobody ever died of a panic attack' I didn't realise I was getting louder and louder as I was walking. By the time I arrived home I was practically shouting it out at the top of my voice, but you know what? It did the trick lol.

Good luck everyone,

Diane

'Remember, your imagination is always much worse than the reality'

marie1974
20-05-08, 19:14
hi diane just to say welldone you are doing great hun, keep strong and keep smiling :D :yesyes: :hugs:

mamof3girls
20-05-08, 19:34
wow well done your doing soo well! :D

KOKO23CAT
20-05-08, 20:10
Thats Th Way To Do It! Its All About Th 'so What?' Not The 'what If'

Well Done

chalky
21-05-08, 07:41
Hi Diane,

It is wonderful to read of your recent adventures.
It is so important for us all to see people taking action to deal with their health problems.
No-ones problems will ever treat themselves.
It is so clear from your posts that you have a tremendous determination to succeed.
Day by day you are becoming an even greater inspiration.
Keep believing in yourself.
:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:
Best wishes,
Chalky

Southern_Belle
22-05-08, 01:05
Diane what a wonderful post. I never thought that being so prepared set one up. You should see me when I board an airplane, lol. They really need to increase that 2 bag rule :lac: I need 1 bag for my things to just get on the plane! :whistles:

Anway, great job and keep up the good work.

Many hugs,

Laura