PDA

View Full Version : new member

Leo
07-04-05, 20:36
Hi I am Leo,
Thank you Nicola for your email.
Middle aged male suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. Have had ten weeks stress therapy but no other help. Like other messages I have read I do not like the thought of taking drugs. Very frightened of panicing in front of my small children. Find it all very embarassing as a bloke! Would appreciate some advice.

seh1980
07-04-05, 20:53
hello leo,

Welcome to the forum!! Everyone here is very friendly and I'm sure you will receive loads of support.

Sarah :D

maxine
07-04-05, 21:12
Hello Leo
Welcome to the site:D

Take care

Maxine

Laura xx
07-04-05, 21:19
Hi Leo,

You've come to the right place, everyone is so helpful here and it is so good to have other people to talk to who are going through exactly the same as yourself.

Karen
07-04-05, 21:43
Hi Leo

Welcome to the forum.

You'll get good help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

della
07-04-05, 22:18
hi leo
welcome to the site there is a lot of information about anxiety and panic on here have you tried any forms of relaxation ..this will help you to control your panic.

:D

Leo
07-04-05, 22:19
Thanks Sarah Maxine Laura and Karen for your kind welcome. I am sure I will find this sight useful

Leo

sal
07-04-05, 22:21
Hi Leo

Sorry you are having a hard time off it, but we hope that we can help you. You are with people that understand and will care how you are feeling.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Leo
07-04-05, 22:21
Hi della
I am trying hypnotherapy. I can relax at the session but not on my own!
Leo

sal
07-04-05, 22:25
Hi Leo

Lets just hope in time you can relax on your own, i am sure you will.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Karen
07-04-05, 22:25
Hi Leo

Have you thought of asking your hypnotherapist to do you a personal tape to use at home? This can help sometimes.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Leo
07-04-05, 22:49
Hi Karen

Good idea. I will ask. I do have some relaxation tapes but my brain is still too full of anxiety

Leo

didunn1
07-04-05, 23:07
Hi Leo

Welcome to the Club!

I find relaxation Cd's really calming, I have a few about building self-esteem and positive thinking that really help. They seem to calm me down, unfortunately you can't use them all day long!

Di

Leo
07-04-05, 23:13
Hi Di
Use tapes to go to sleep. You are right I cannot use them at work!

Leo

Karen
07-04-05, 23:15
Leo

Personal tapes from your hypnotherapist might be better because they are specifically aimed at your problems and you are already anchored to the therapist's voice.

It's worth a try.

Karen

henri
07-04-05, 23:15
Hi Leo,
I find relaxation tapes really do the trick because if you do them properly they clear your mind of any thoughts and physically relax you. Have you considered having CBT? I bought this really good book off amazon called 'how to use your brain to beat panic' - really helped me.
let us know how you get on,
henri x

sal
07-04-05, 23:16
Leo

Dont forget the tapes will help you but you need some you time. Out of it all and time for you to try and relax on your own. Simple things like having a bath, a few candle and silence, that will help.

Love Sal xx

Leo
07-04-05, 23:22
Sal

Silence difficult and no you time 4 children

Leo

sal
08-04-05, 00:34
Yeah true and it must be hard, but you need time out to get over this.

Love Sal xx

zena
08-04-05, 13:46
Hi Leo, Welcome to the site honey.

Agree with Sal you need to take time away to start relaxing a little more.

I know it's hard when you have small children..have been in that situation myself...even if it's 15 mins.

This site will be very helpful to you. You get loads of advise and lots of support as well.
Take care

with good wishes

Zena

Meg
08-04-05, 14:02
Hello Leo,

Welcome.

Do you know what brings on the bouts of anxiety or panic for you ?

You don't need meds always . I didn't and nor did lots of other people. It is hard work to get over but
proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

It does work.

Start with: First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

If you have any specific questions please holler.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Student
08-04-05, 14:17
Hi Leo
I'm sure you will find lots of support and guidance here!I'm a new member and will be trying that book recommended above, sounds great!Take care
X

vernon
08-04-05, 15:16
Hi Leo, welcome to the site. I used to feel embraced about anxiety, phobias and panic too and I have children, but I found years ago it made me feel much better to bring it into the open, I don’t care now who I tell and I never try to hide it I accept it fully and feel better for it. Relaxation I tried years ago without any lick but find now you have to do it daily to feel benefit. I do it on waking every morning then before I sleep at night and together with positive affirmations find this has helped. Its so true what Karen said It’s much better to get one done by you hypnotist for you personal problems. Another thing I invested in was an MP£ player, this is real great cos u can listen to relaxation or anything else talking books etc anywhere u want without being disturbed. Hope you feel better soon Vernon. Don’t worry about telling people because if they can’t understand they are not worth being friends with anyway.

Tracy68
08-04-05, 19:55
Hi Leo
Welcome to the site. As you can see you will get plenty of help and support from everyone here.
Take care
Tracy
x

sal
08-04-05, 21:29
Hi Leo

I know with children it is hard to get you time, i struggle and i have only one, but we need that to help us relax and gain our composure again for when we are thrown in at the deep end of being parents.

Here to help you.

Love Sal xx

Jan
08-04-05, 22:31
Hi Leo

Welcome to the forum. I dont think you should be embaressed at all tho I understand the reasoning behind it. The male thing. i think to be honest itmakes you human and sensitive. I thing that is a positive trait in a man.
Having kids and panic can be a nitemare which is why you need to find time to relax and chill. but you will all get through it. all the support and help you could ever need from people who have been there and got through is here.
Take care and lots of positive thinking

Janine

Leo
11-04-05, 22:26
Hi everyone

Thank you for all your kind words of support. Problem is with me at the moment I feel the panic has the better of me. My chlidren realise dad is not quite right but do not know I have panic. I am in fear of passing it over to them. My youngest is seven.
It is entering into panic that is the most frightening thing once I come out of it I want to go into panic again thinking I can master it, but panic does not return. This just does not make sense in my brain, obviously I have the wrong approach. Can someone unscrabble this confusion?

Leo

sal
11-04-05, 23:03
Hi Leo

Its adrenalin making you feel worse, you wont pass it over to the children trust me, how you feel wont affect them and you will get throuht this. We will help you.

Love Sal xx

delta
12-04-05, 09:34
Hi Leo
Just wanted to say welcome to the site, you have done the right thing coming here, you will find loads of support. I have been where you are, you will get through it. I found once I had understood the symptoms of panic and learnt to breathe properly this helped a lot, I have had many blips over the years but I do understand a lot more what is happening to my body. I still find relaxation very difficult because my mind is constantly racing.
Take care
Donna