PDA

View Full Version : Is it 'normal' to keep doing this?

noonoo
20-05-08, 17:35
After the extremely awful anxiety/panic attack I had in the lounge, I haven't been able to go in there almost over three weeks now.
Okay so I have had the occasional day where I can sit on the other side of the room to where it happened but then I have to get up and get out of there because I start to feel fidgety.
Sometimes I stand at the door watching the TV wishing I could just go in and sit down like I used to be able to.
I also can't go to bed without making sure the lounge door is shut aswell.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and is it 'normal' to do after something like that has happened?

xxx

juanna
20-05-08, 17:42
Hi noonoo
Firstly you need to identify the cause of this attack; what freaks you out about this room !! You could also benefit by going to your doctor; because it seems like your mind has blown this thing out of proportion & you need to get it back to a manageable position before you can start to deal with it...

Good luck.. :unsure:

noonoo
20-05-08, 20:31
Ok, thankyou for replying :) xxx

mandie
21-05-08, 00:14
Hi

I have similar problem to u. I have had 2 panic attacks at work recently, both at my desk.

Since going back to work, i will not sit there again, it scares me. I think if i sit there again i will have another panic attack.

Iv gone back near the desk but iv not managed to sit down in my chair. i know i cant avoid it, but at moment just feel to scared.

love mandie x

Lainie
21-05-08, 02:29
I understand completely, but in order to conquer this thing, you have to face the things you fear. When I had my first panic attack I was in a mall. I left the mall and refused to return for fear of having another attack. As I had attacks, I avoided more and more places. I wound up with a severe case of agoraphobia and had to go to therapy. My first night there, they took the whole group out to work on our avoidance behaviors. Where did they take us? The mall! lol. It took quite a bit of exposure therapy to all of those dreaded places that I as avoiding for me to recover from agoraphobia. I finally realized that it wasn't the places or things that were causing the panic. Practice facing the things you fear until they no longer matter - it will happen.
Hope my experience helps someone...
<<Hugs>>
Lainie

jill
21-05-08, 09:09
Hi Hun :hugs:

To know and understand panic, anxiety is very, very hard, lets face it, if it was easy, then this great site, would not be needed.

Hun, has anything happened at all in this room APART from Panic? any other truma? If not, thats ok, but you have to remember, PANIC is truma too, be kind to yourself, DON'T be to hard on yourself that you cannot go into this room right now, if you beat yourself up with negative thoughts about not going into it, you are feeding your anaxiety, please be kind to yourself.

Useing positive self thought, eg, I WILL GO into the room, I will get in there without panic, its just going to take time, its ok, FOR NOW, I will learn how too, these types of positive thoughts help us move on a little.

From what I know about panic, nearly ALL of the time, after the your first PA, the rest of it is fear of another, just what are YOUR fears hun, pick away at your thoughts, is it PANIC you fear and all the symtptoms that come with it, or, fear of fear. These 2 things can be sorted with alot of hard work, time and support.

When I was acute, I found it very, very hard to understand that the panic was coming from ME, NOT, the shop, the plane, the crowds, the food I eat, the water I drank, ohhhh and many, many other things, but it came from my negative thinking, the fear of panic, the fear of fear itself. There was NOTHING going on in my life, eg, stress or any other truma apart from panic, it was panic, I feared and I feared fear itself.

If it is panic you fear, you have to try dame hard to show YOURSELF, there is nothing to fear, eg, going into the room for a very short time, coming out, you say you can go into the room, as long as you don't sit where it happened, this is great hun, be pround of yourself, you may feel anxiety when doing this but please try and understand that anxiety DOES NOT always lead to panic.

Please keep trying to go into the room, do it slow, please, if you find it hard to find positive thoughts, write some down, learn yourself some positive thinking about this room, eg, before I had this pa here, I WAS FINE and I will be again, I like being in here, its ok to feel a little anxiety, put something on the tv YOU LIKE, use distraction when in the room, anything you enyoy doing.

I know its hard for you right now, but hun, with time and lots of hard work, cos it IS dame hard, YOU CAN DO THIS, but you MUST believe YOU CAN, imagine yourself in this room with noooo panic.

I do know what your going through hun and my heart goes out to you. I have been there, but many years before I suffered pa's, I cared for my daughter who suffered them, VERY BAD and high anxiety, like you, she labeled many, many places she could not go, it took me along time to right the wrongs her first pa caused her, She is 15 now and doing very well.

Hun, it is possible to beat this problem with this room, but you must work dame hard on your thought pattens and go into this room bits at a time, to show yourself, there is nothing to be scared off.

Hope this has helped a little, even if it is, just knowing YOUR NOT ALONE

:bighug1:

YOU TAKE CARE, YOU CAN BEAT THIS

LOVE JILLXX

tayside lassie
21-05-08, 09:43
hi noonoo...i used to do that never go back to a place i had anxiety/panic but that was 2 years ..what i done was stopped going out all together "not a good thing " doctor got me councellor and she adviced me that i must face my fears ..my fear being going back to where all the anxiety/panic happened it is hard and i had to have someone with me.. took me a while but managed to do these things on my own now ...see if you aviod going into a place where panic happened you will end up limiting yourself on where you can go until you cant go anywhere at all ..i would hate anybody to suffer like that an awful life to lead ..have you ever thought about councelling ?...

hope your able to overcome this take care ....sally... :hugs:

noonoo
21-05-08, 09:48
I've actually got my first councelling session this morning. I'm a bit nervous to be honest because i'm scared of dragging everything up :unsure:

xxx

tayside lassie
21-05-08, 09:58
hi noonoo...hey you will be ok just tell how it is with yourself if like me you will feel a bit better after one session i had 12 sessions in all.. dont hold back get it all off your chest ...good luck ..
sally.....

noonoo
21-05-08, 12:36
I do feel a bit better for getting it all off my chest to be honest. And i'm trying ever so hard not to become housebound, I just think that will make things worse.

xxx

Tom_M
21-05-08, 12:58
Hi noonoo

The best way of doing it is to be very relaxed, preferably sitting down, in another room and then visualise yourself sitting in the lounge. Do this a few times with your eyes closed until you are comfortable with the thoughts. Then when you fee like it, go into the lounge and sit down with your eyes closed. Then just remember it's just the same as it was when you did it in another room, while feeling very relaxed.

Tom