PDA

View Full Version : constant swallowing producing more saliva

joyce99
20-05-08, 18:59
hi to all just wondering iof anybody else has suffered this and how to stop swallowing constantly and why am i producing saliva is it because im swallowing all the time plese help its driving me mad been to docs and he says its anxiety related but i cant seem to stop it

sheba2
20-05-08, 20:07
Hi Joyce.

I had this for a few months over Christmas. It was really unpleasant and especially bad at night time. I had had a chest infection at the same time and at first I thought it was related to that but I now know it was due to excessive swallowing. My cough had caused irritation in my throat and I became very anxious about that and then started the swallowing which then developed into Globus Hystericus (imaginary lump in throat) this of course caused more anxiety and more swallowing. Sometimes the amount of saliva was so bad I felt like I was drowning in it. It took me a few months to believe it wasn't anything sinister I also found taking a rennie at night and during the day helped with the saliva thing. In the end I used to let the saliva run out into a tissue or towel rather than keep swallowing. This really helped break the cycle. Hope ths helps cos I know how miserable it is.

kellie
20-05-08, 21:00
ok i can kind of explain why you get so much saliva. ere goes.
my doc told me when we are anx and we get the lump/tight throat feeling our throats auto think there is a blockage and will over produce saliva to get rid of the imangenary obstruction.
are you with me so far?
the more we swallow the longer the muscles in our throat stay tight and the longer the saliva stays .
when you get to much saliva dont swallow it, spit it out and you wont need to keep swallowing, there fore giveing your muscles a chance to relax more.
make sure you are not holding your tounge at the roof of ur mouth either as this wont help it will make the throat tighter.
i hope this has hellped you hun

take care

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

joyce99
20-05-08, 21:09
Hi Joyce.

I had this for a few months over Christmas. It was really unpleasant and especially bad at night time. I had had a chest infection at the same time and at first I thought it was related to that but I now know it was due to excessive swallowing. My cough had caused irritation in my throat and I became very anxious about that and then started the swallowing which then developed into Globus Hystericus (imaginary lump in throat) this of course caused more anxiety and more swallowing. Sometimes the amount of saliva was so bad I felt like I was drowning in it. It took me a few months to believe it wasn't anything sinister I also found taking a rennie at night and during the day helped with the saliva thing. In the end I used to let the saliva run out into a tissue or towel rather than keep swallowing. This really helped break the cycle. Hope ths helps cos I know how miserable it is. did you have this all day long like me

joyce99
20-05-08, 21:11
hi there i sem to have this problem all day long with constantly swallowing and mouth filling up with saliva how do you stop it

sheba2
20-05-08, 22:26
Hi Joyce

Yes I had it all day long although it was worse at night. I often woke at night gagging because of the saliva. It used to flow out of my mouth like a tap. During the day I used to find sucking a sweet helped but only in the short term and I think it probably made the condition worse because I was still swallowing alot. Although not very dignified I found letting the saliva run out into a paper towel rather than swallowing did break the cycle but it took quite a few weeks for it to stop. Funnily enough just by writing this my mouth is producing more saliva than it needs but I know that this is anxiety due to thinking about it again.

sheba2
20-05-08, 22:29
Oh yeah when you keep swallowing you take too much air into your stomach I found that this increased the problems I have with reflux which also makes me produce loads of saliva this is why the rennies or similar antacids worked I think. Try them if you can.

joyce99
19-07-08, 19:26
hi there i seem to have this problem again with the saliva can you advise me what to do as its distressing me out again

joyce1980
19-07-08, 22:12
Joyce, you need to remember that you are pregnant

your baby has taken up soo much room in your tummy, you will have so many strange feelings and having heart burn and reflux is normal for pregnancy.

you said your Dr gave you medication ?? do as your Dr advises

just spit the saliva out or swallow, keep plugging on and try to deal with your anxiety the best you can.

keep in contact with your Dr, friends and family.

joyce99
19-07-08, 22:32
i went to a and e again today cause my throat has been sore can you tell me what damage it does to your throat if you are constantly swallowing as mines feels like theres something going on although every doctor says the throat looks fine i dont understand and i dont no how to stop swallowing either wd that make my throat sore

nomorepanic
19-07-08, 22:36
Joyce - why didn't you ask them all this at A&E?

bex1970
19-07-08, 22:41
Joyce, acid reflux can cause pain, difficultly swallowing, sore throat, gurgling noises, hoarse voice, excess saliva - and many more odd sensations. You do not have to have acid coming into your mouth to have it - it can all occur lower down and therefore cause your throat to be affected.

You have been to see a doctor / A&E / etc many times and each time been told that there is nothing sinister in your throat or mouth. And trust me, if there was something that was there, you would know about it by now because the doctors / nurses would have seen it.

Pregnancy causes Acid Reflux - and can make it ten times worse, if you think about it logically your entire stomach is squashed up which would make it bad.

You DO NOT have throat cancer or mouth cancer, end of story and have been reassured constantly by very many caring people on this site (and endless doctors by the sounds of your posts), give them the respect they deserve by listening to them and not endlessly asking the same question over and over - it's insulting to them all and to the time and care they give to you.

Gaviscon is good for this problem and safe to use during pregnancy. I know all of this as I suffer from chronic reflux and am on medication for it and during both my pregnancies it was appalling, Gaviscon tablets or liquid really helped. Don't eat late at night, avoid spicy food and eat small amounts often - avoid caffeine and fizzy drinks.

You are obviously incredibly anxious and I'm sorry for you for that as I know how terrible that is - but this will only increase your throat problems as it is an area that is badly affected by anxiety but you MUST give all these fantastic people the respect they deserve by giving them some credibility when they answer the same questions over and over again.

You are ok - you just suffer accutely from anxiety and severe indigestion - all of which explain your throat and mouth problems - nothing more sinister than that.

joyce99
19-07-08, 22:50
yes okay but how do i stop the constant swallowing thats probably giving me a sore tense throat would that be correct

nomorepanic
19-07-08, 22:51
Joyce - we have been over this again and again and I am not sure you are even real let alone listening to us.

I PM'd you and am locking this thread pending admin review