PDA

View Full Version : That dreaded morning feeling

Zingara
21-05-08, 10:29
Hello,
I've only been on this site for about six weeks and I've already gone on so much I'm scared people will get sick of me! I just wondered, am I the only one who finds the mornings UNBEARABLE? I wake up every day in a cold sweat and with my heart racing and my mouth dry, then I usually have to go to the loo several times in the first hour of being awake. I feel upset, anxious and tearful. I haven't even managed to get dressed yet. I've talked to people about this and they say, 'Oh, the secret is to get up and get on with your day, keep yourself busy.' Well, I'd like nothing better, but I have so many unwanted physical symptoms in the morning it's rare I can get anything much done before lunchtime. Every morning I wake up and there it is, the churning stomach, the missed heartbeats, the overbreathing. It's often lunchtime before I get away from the bathroom, never mind getting on with things!
I have tried getting back to work, but that resulted in my having a full blown panic attack, and then crying and shaking in front of everyone. I've just had to learn not to care what people think! But I've gone from being respected as being really good at my job to having people think I'm crazy. This illness is certainly teaching me a lot about learning to let go of my pride!
I'd love to 'get up and get on', but I simply can't...generally speaking, the evening is the best part of my day, because I have company and I find it easier to relax, but lately my mornings have got so nasty that I start worrying about it the night before, and so gradually they take over the whole day. If my morning panic is really bad sometimes I don't calm down properly all day. I really do feel bad about this, I can't see an end to it, it just seems to go on and on. I'm 29, which I know isn't old, but sometimes I really don't feel like going on. I'm not suicidal, but sometimes I feel as though I wouldn't much care if I didn't wake up. As I've discussed on other posts, I had a major operation late last year, and in my darkest moments I feel it would have been better if I had just drifted away under the anaesthetic. I know that sounds bad and maybe I don't really mean it, it's just that things have been so awful since and they just don't seem to get any better.
Sorry to be negative, I shall have to make a big effort and say to myself that things are going to get better!

mandie
21-05-08, 10:37
Hi Samira

Sorry to hear how u are feeling.

Im sure nobody is sick of you, we are all here with the same things so all try and help each other.

I have been there, mornings were awful for me. Partly due to my first thoughts when waking up were negative ones like will i have a panic attack today, will i be anxious etc

Are u on any meds?

Have u had any counselling.

CBT is very good for people with panic attacks, I have had 2 sessions so far.

If u need to chat please pm me.

love mandie x

Lolly25
21-05-08, 11:25
Hi Samira,

You have described me! Every morning i wake up to a racing heart (or maybe my racing heart wakes me up?!) i feel sick in the pit of my stomach and have a deep feeling or dread at the thought of having to go through it all again today,

like you sometimes i manage to level out by lunchtime and even catch my self being positive in the afternoon, as it starts to get dark i start to fear going to bed as i know i will have to go to bed and in turn wake up feeling awful.:sad:

Ive been signed off work for the next 3 weeks which is actually the length of my notice period, i dont really know if this is good or bad. I start a new job in 3 weeks and feel i wont be able to go if im waking up feeling like this every morning.

I dont know if i can offer you advice at the moment, only tell you i feel the same so can empathise, people tell me too to just get up and get going and it will pass quicker but i cant do that yet . As im writing this im in bed wishing i could get up and do something but im home alone and feel sick and too scared,

I hope you find peace, dont stop looking

Zingara
21-05-08, 11:35
Thank you Lolly, I feel better and less alone for reading your reply. Let's hope we both start to get better soon, and put these dreaded mornings behind us! Let's keep in touch so we can encourage each other!

Zingara
21-05-08, 11:38
Oh and thank you Mandie too! I am on a whole pack of meds at the moment, the main battle I am having is sorting out my thyroid medication (I had a total thyroidectomy late last year). Other than that I'm on prozac, but not really feeling a lot of benefit. I have seen a counsellor, but it wasn't a lot of help, she basically said it was hard to determine which of my symptoms are physical and which are psychological, so I've got to wait for my next set of bloods before I get any further. Thanks for your help and concern. x

Lolly25
21-05-08, 11:47
Hi Samira,

Yes lets stay intouch and help each other, im already feeling the more you talk to people who understand the better you feel. PM anytime,