PDA

View Full Version : Positive action

Amanda3266
23-11-03, 18:36
Hi all,

I've done most of my posting under the panic section as I've just come out of a week of panic attacks.:(
I've decided that it's time I took some positive action to combat my anxiety and panic attacks. No good just taking the pills and sitting back passively expecting to get better with no effort on my part.[:o)] I have a big "illness" type worry which was stimulated when it took a few months for gallstones to become apparent - I thought I had liver cancer (well one would think this way wouldn't one)!
Anyhow - have decided it's no good panicking about my health while being overweight and unfit and not taking some positive action so I've joined the local gym and I have my induction next week.:) In addition to this I am eating healthily - have cut out all white sugar and white flour and am eating lots of fruit and veggies plus drinking the required amount a day. Too early to say if I feel better yet but I certainly feel more positive. Hopefully, in a year's time I'll be svelte enough to do a rendition of "All that jazz" from "Chicago". Catherine Zeta Jones - eat your heart out luvvie.:D

nomorepanic
23-11-03, 18:59
Hi Amanda

It is so good to see you being so positive about life :-)

I must say that my panic subsided when I went on a diet and started an exercise regime so there may be something in it. Worth a try huh?

Good luck and let us know how it all goes.

Nicola

benoo5
23-11-03, 19:04
hi amanda,

wot a great attitude you have,and i love your sense of humour :)

ive noticed over the past few days,a lot of the posts have been more positive,and that can only do good,hopefully its infectious!

keep up the good work,i can see you and lottie(charlie),becoming the <morecambe and wise> of nomorepanic lol.

best wishes..bryan.

Meg
23-11-03, 19:17
Dear Amanda,

'''''No good just taking the pills and sitting back passively expecting to get better with no effort on my part.''''

Superb news !!! This is so fabulous to read .

We're all with you. It's a swervy and bumpy path- that's when we can all help.

One tip, Keep a diary - the you can 'see' how much improvement you're making and on difficult days you can read and remember the good days. It's also good for you to refer to- to spot trends.
Even if you only write a few lines a day, it's so helpful.
I did it for months and once I'd written 'no problems at all' every day for several week and then did it weekly for a few months and the same happened, then I stopped ! I don't say I was never anxious again , but it was no longer a problem to cope with .

It was such a great feeling.

Good luck, shout when you're stuck and be sure to tell us about your progress.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Laurie28
24-11-03, 13:31
One tip, Keep a diary - the you can 'see' how much improvement you're making and on difficult days you can read and remember the good days. It's also good for you to refer to- to spot trends.

I was thinkg about doing that Meg just to track my progress. i think I'll give it a go and maybe even make a 'mad' folder if nothing else it will make me think I am doing something

Love Lucky

Meg
24-11-03, 15:45
Excellent Lucky, it was a huge help to me. It's so important to document the good bits.

I've been meaning to write a word or two on how we refer to ourselves..

Out subconcious mind listens hard to what we say outwardly and what we say to ourselves and tries very hard to please - so it might be more worthwhile to call your folder something more truthful and uplifting than 'mad'.

You've got a great user name, Lucky, but there are a few names on here which even when the user is getting much better - everytime you log on and write a post - it just emphasises and reinforces an untrue label/name.

I know it sounds silly but in this game every little helps. Think for a moment how hurtful teasing nicknames can be for children . Granted - we choose these ourselves but the message is a similar one.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Laurie28
24-11-03, 15:52
OKAY MEG

I'LL CALL IT THE 'NEW' ME FOLDER
BECAUSE WHEN I GET 'BETTER' I WILL BE FITTER HEALTHIER AND MORE POSITIVE THAN I WAS EVEN B4 THIS ANXIETY GOT TO ME!!

lOVE
lUCKY

Meg
24-11-03, 15:57
Thats more like it ....Lucky.

Meg

Amanda3266
25-11-03, 08:43
A diary eh? A la Bridget Jones maybe!

Panic attacks 0 v.good

Thanks people - it's an excellent idea. I like the idea of titleing it "The New Me Folder" too.

Amanda

uryjm
25-11-03, 22:56
"Keep a diary - one day it will keep you" - Mae West

Jim

nomorepanic
26-11-03, 13:48
I found some of my old diaries in the garage a few weeks ago - very interesting reading!!

On another note, I used to do tape recordings. They are so sad to listen back to now as one day I was so depressed that I said I didn't want to live anymore (don't mean I was suicidal). You can hear the emotion in my voice - it brought it all back to me and I realise how far I have come!

Nicola

Laurie28
26-11-03, 13:50
That's great Nic - It would be great if i had kept a diary about 3 months ago and listened now cause i know i'm getting better

Lucky

benoo5
26-11-03, 14:05
WHAT A GREAT POSITIVE TOPIC THIS HAS BEEN...its been really inspiring to read your posts..its like sunshine on a rainy day..thanks....bryan.