PDA

View Full Version : advice needed about taking meds for anxiety.

Granny Primark
21-05-08, 19:47
Ive been to the docs this morning about my anxiety whilst travelling in the car.
It wasnt my normal doc as shes on maternity leave. It was a spanish lady.
I explained to her about how my anxiety in the car is not only affecting me but its affecting others who are in the car. Even my hubby the driver who doesnt think I can trust his driving. And hes a bus driver!
I asked her for something to calm me down and lesson my anxiety whilst being driven in the car.
This is the first time ive ever requested any medication since I started with panic attack almost 3 years ago.
Ive managed so far with kalms and rescue remedy and valerina tabs.
I told her that I was going on holiday at the end of August and was worried about the long journey when I was struggling with short journeys.
She was very flippant with me and to be honest made me feel like some kind of nutcase.
She then gave me a prescription for 2 2mg diazapan tabs to take. One on the journey going and one on the journey back.
My sis in law who is coming with us said have a drink of whiskey before we go. Me hubby also said to have an alcaholic drink.
I know diazapan are addictive but so is drink.
I dont want to have alcahol every time I go out on a trip in the car.
Id much rather carry some tabs just in case I need them.
Taking them would be a last resort.
Ive seen what taking valium for years can do to people so im well aware of taking medication and the side affects when trying to come off them does.
Its taken me almost 3 years to ask for help. Ive tried my hardest to cope on my own. And Im really proud at the progress im making but I just need that little something at the moment to give me that bit of courage to carry on.
Im just wondering what I do next?
Do I take the advice of my hubby and sis in law?
or
Do I go back and see another doc and tell him/her exactly how I feel?
I carry rescue spray with me at all times and even though at times whilst im driving I feel panicky I resist the urge to use it. But just knowing its there really helps and gives me comfort.

Take care
LYNN xx

decca
21-05-08, 20:28
Hi granny , I luv your shop, I think it's brilliant, Lol.
Anyway - my daughter has claustrophobia and panics if she has to go on a plane so she takes a 2mg Diazepam tablet and she's fine.
I'm sure you won't get addicted to Diazepam if you only take it ocassionally, on the other hand a nice drink would probably taste better , lol.
Best wishes for a luvly holiday.
Decca.

juanna
21-05-08, 21:45
Hi Granny
Your Doctor wasn't at all helpfull; i reckon you'd be better off going to see another doctor. Valium is alright as a one off but is addictive if you keep taking it; which you would have to as i imagine you go in the car a lot.. You need a medication for anxiety like prozac or citalopram or something... Well done for managing so well for three years without anything but now it sounds like you need a bit of help..
Good luck :mellow:

Southern_Belle
25-05-08, 16:54
Hi Lynn,

I really don't think 2 tabs will have you addicted and you only need them for this long trip. I personally don't think one drink would help as much as alcohol can sometimes make anxiety worse and always makes depression worse. If you do need help for anxiety for being in the car all the time I do suggest another type of medication such as an anti-depressant. Good luck and have a great time in August.

Love,

Laura