PDA

View Full Version : Emetephobia sufferers...

franfhm
21-05-08, 20:09
Has anyone seen that ad on tv about the raw chicken thing, some department of health advisory? It just keeps playing over and over in my head - woman grills some chicken for husband but cuts it up first and uses the same knife without being washed, chopping board etc to cut the sandwich it goes in. Then it cuts to being in the night and the husband is up being sick because of the raw chicken bits left on the knife.

I was feeling anx yesterday evening trying to watch some tv whilst being on here, then the ad comes on out of the blue - why do they feel the need to be so graphic about stuff?

Sorry with everything its really getting to me atm. Does it affect any of you?

andie73
22-05-08, 09:34
Hi Franfhm
I know exactly what you are talking about and I get the same. I saw a woman being sick around christmas time at the side of a motorway. It really freaked me out. It was when the norovirus was going round. I had to keep telling myself that maybe she'd been to an office party and drunk too much. Even now whenever we pass that spot I get the images and think I will be sick there too. I know it has nothing to do with the place so writing this makes me feel so stupid but as a fellow emetaphobe I'm sure you can relate to it.

I don't know about you but I'm sick of feeling like this, pardon the pun. I'm scared to have a baby because of morning sickness and the pain and hospital side of it. I don't like going to funfairs even to walk round, I wont go on boats in case anyones sea sick, the list is endless.

I really empathise with you, if you ever want to pm me please feel free as my life is dominated by this phobia too. I constantly suck on extra strong mints at work to stop nausea. I sound mad!!!

Take care
Andrea xx

franfhm
22-05-08, 18:32
You don't sound mad at all Andrea, I completely sympathise with you. I've just started a new job where we don't get sick pay and 3 people have dragged themselves in this week when they've been sick. Feel like I can't cope at the moment. Just waiting for everything to settle down in my life and hopefully I can control this phobia better again

bunnypop
24-05-08, 09:16
Hi all,
I am new to this site and suffer the same thing. I am 26 and have suffered from emetophobia for 10 years with panic attacks. I have tried alot of therapies but still looking to find one that works. I too suck on mints to stop nausea, and have come addicted like they are some kind of tablets. If I ahven't got them then I freak out. I would love to hear from people and am so glad I found this site. I wish you all well.
Laura x

SharonDerby
25-05-08, 16:30
Hi Fran
Haven't seen the ad myself(cross fingers i never will), dam stupid people who make ads, like you say a simple warning would suffice i'm sure they don't nead to go into graphic details tut.
As far as work goes well i know how you feel i'm the same people dragging themselves in because they wont get paid etc but i have learned that sometimes people will say they have been sick as an excuse rather than admit they have had too much the night before etc they think by saying they have been sick they will get sent home.
I can't say don't worry because i would be the same but as with other times it will pass untill it does feel free to mail me and chat as much as you like, if i can help i will.
Sharon :)

franfhm
25-05-08, 18:14
Thanks everyone for your replies :)

Wish me luck for tonight - my bf (well in the loosest possible terms because he can't make up his mind if he should stay or go) is off out with the lads tonight for his birthday, and he doesn't handle his drink well and usually ends up being sick. So am armed with headphones and music and my sleeping bag ready for me to sleep on the sofa (altho why i have to sleep on the sofa is beyond me!)