PDA

View Full Version : Bike rides.

noonoo
21-05-08, 22:05
I never used to use my bike very often, but since i've been feeling on the edge of a panic attack all the time i've started to join my dad when he goes on bike rides. And they ARE helping. Just forgetting everything going on in my head for a while and feeling almost normal, it's those moments I wait for.

Then I get home, I feel refreshed and positive that things will eventually get better if I keep on trying. It's things like that that keep me going. I find it also stops a bit of adrenaline that I do occasionally get even if I am on beta blockers but they are helping also.

I went on one this evening and he took me round some neighbourhoods i'd never been round before, and then we around the secondary school I went to... that felt very strange!! And brought back lots of memories. Both good & bad.

I hope it works for you too, unless you do it already!

:hugs:

xxxxxx

eternally optimistic
21-05-08, 22:08
Hi Noonoo

Gud 4 u.

I took up walking last summer, when things got trickey.

It makes a great difference, nothing serious, just clearing the mind -
eventually.

They say exercise is excellent for anxiety etc and we are living proof, haha.

Happy biking.

J

noonoo
21-05-08, 22:36
I've taken up walking aswell, I used to do it a lot with my parents, then stopped. Now I go with them again if they ask me because I know it will help.

xxx

Cathy V
21-05-08, 22:46
I moved to germany from UK last year and practically everyone rides a bike here! the cars have togive way to them at all times and they have an incredible network of bike-only lanes. Ive got one now too, but I don't think the same way as the germans do about riding it so i tend to get even more nervous on it than off it :blush:

But i do think that all exercise helps coz it burns off all the adrenaline that causes the anxiety. Thats the problem really isn't it? we feel very anxious so our system zaps us with adrenaline, but because we're not using it, it just leaves us with all of the symptoms. Exercise uses it up so we feel better after...thats the theory anyway. Its just taking the first step outside to do it!

Its great that you can use the adrenaline in this way, and that it makes you feel better afterwards.

Best wishes
Cathy :)

mtatum4496
22-05-08, 00:30
Bike riding helps me somewhat as well. I have a ride each morning, and often it helps calm some of the jitters I feel after I first get out of bed.

The bike riding is also one way I am fighting the agoraphobia as well - if nothing else, it helps to ensure I get out of the house at least for a little while each day.

Granty
29-05-08, 09:16
I totally agree.

I took up mountain biking three years ago and noticed the effect it had was quite remarkable.

I'm also getting into road biking now and fancy trying some time-trialling as well.

Also, with Glasgow being awarded the 2014 Commonwealth games it means they are going to build a velodrome in the city which will allow a try out at track riding!

never2late
29-05-08, 14:39
My wife and I both enjoy bicycling. It is wonderful and makes one feel so free -- even weightless (in many ways). We are planning a ride alongside the ocean tomorrow, at a place called Sandy Hook, New Jersey. It's a 2 hour drive each way to get started, but well worth it.

karen34
07-06-08, 21:39
the guy that does my acupunture is always going on at me to get a bike,,,he thinks it would be great for me and says the same about how easy it is to just forget about everything while cycling and it would get rid of excess energy/adrenaline too.

think i'll need to look at getting a bike after all :)

Oceanblue
08-06-08, 08:34
Hiya,

It's so nice to read a positive post, well done for finding something that you enjoy.

I also love biking, I have a mountain bike and often go for rides in the forest with my partner and kiddies, I love it ! You're so right, it really does help with anxiety and lifts depression too.

My bf bikes in the Mountains of Wales, I hope to do this sometime.

Keep it up !! :yesyes:

Jaco45er
08-06-08, 08:55
good post :)

I am one road away from the countryside, and I often take the mountain bike out for a burn with the kids, and if I am having an anxious day, by the time I get back I am feeling OK.

Jaco