PDA

View Full Version : Hello, another newbie here!!!

AmyB
22-05-08, 13:54
Hi, I'm a 29 year old mother of 3 who has been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks on and off for the past 12 years.

The anxiety started when i was 17 when i was experiancing dizzy spells and a strange pressure behind my eyes. My GP diagnosed Labarynthitis and that it would eventually clear up. Things got worse and i was sure i was either suffering from a brain tumour or that the esctasy tablet i had taken in the past was had caused brain damage. I felt like i was in a dream and the world seemed strange like i was on drugs. I was prescribed Seroxat and eventually the anxiety passed.
Since then i have suffered two more bouts of anxiety in 1998 and 2001 with the same symptoms, pressure behind eyes, fear of brain tumours and that i was going mad along with the common symptoms of anxiety tingling hands,pounding heart, yawning, nausea etc and again luckely i came through it.

This time the anxiety is worse than ever, it started in November last year with dizziness and face pressure again. I was refered to an ENT consultant to cheak my sinuses but he could find nothing wrong so he thought it best to do a routine MRI to make sure it was nothing sinister. This is when the panic attacks started. The day the appointment letter arrived i experianced the worse panic attack of my life!! I was shaking like a leaf and was absoluely petrified that my life was ending and that the MRI scan would show a tumour. The night of this huge panic attack was the same night i was started on Citalopram so i'm not sure if this was related.
I didn't come out of the panic attack for over a week and was diagnosed as being in a 'constant anxious state'. I lost half a stone as i just kept vomiting and could barely get out of bed, i just felt safer under the quilt breathing into a paper bag to try and stop the panicy feelings.

I only had to wait a fortnight for the MRI scan which was good as i'd made two trips to A&E in that time!
The result was all clear no tumours or anything life threatening. Just a small white area called 'unidentified bright area' which i was told not to worry about as it was nothing but typical me i searched the internet and found all sorts of illnesses that this 'UBA' could be a sign of!!

I've managed to lead a fairly normal life since January with the help of Dosulepin but unfortunatly the anxiety symptoms keep reappearing. I'm now suffering from strange flashing lights in the corner of my vision, depersonalisation and derealisation(which is really scarey) shaking etc etc.

I think i've always been a anxious person ever since i was a child. I remember reading my mums medical books and thinking i had every disease in them!!
But i also wonder if it's my body's way of coping with stress.
Three years ago in April 2005 i lost my first born daughter and my only child at the time to Meningitis, she was only 19 months old.:weep:
I now have two more children a very busy life as they are only 3 and 18 months!!
I can't pinpoint what is causing this anxiety but i'm sure it's a combination of being a born worryer and the stress that the last three years have brought.

I'm so glad i've found this site as every story and every symptom i have read about i can really relate too and it makes me realise i'm not alone. x

never2late
22-05-08, 14:12
Hello Amy and welcome to the forum. It is with a very heavy heart indeed that I read the loss of your first born. You have my sincere condolences. I do hope that you find help here -- and also am glad that you no longer feel as if you are suffereing alone.

Southern_Belle
22-05-08, 14:57
Hi Amy,

Welcome to the site. I too am sorry for your loss. You will find that many here will understand how you feel.

Many hugs,

Laura

kellie
22-05-08, 18:26
hiya Amy :welcome: to nmp its lovely to have you here :D . you will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way. i would think that this has resurfest again due to the loss of your little girl which i am very sorry to hear about, and the stress you have been under.keep posting about what ever is on your mind and we will help as much as we can.
love and happiness
take care.

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

chalky
22-05-08, 18:43
Hi Amy,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Lindalou64
22-05-08, 19:18
Hello Amy And Welcome.......i Wish Ya Well........linda

milly jones
22-05-08, 19:20
amy welcome to nmp

hope u find some support and empathy here as i do

millyxx

nicky20055
22-05-08, 21:04
HI I'M NICKY, I'M A MOTHER OF 2 BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTERS,AMANDA WHO IS 10 IN AUGUST AND FREYA WHO HAS JUST TURNED 5.AFTER GIVING BIRTH TO FREYA (TRAUMATIC LABOUR) I LOST ALOT OF BLOOD, MAKING ME SEVERLEY ANAEMIC,I GOT UP TO GO TO THE BATHROOM AND ALMOST PASSED OUT,I FELT AS IF SOME ONE WAS RIPPING MY HEART OUT OF MY CHEST (PANIC ATTACK), I DIDN'T KNOW THIS AT THE TIME, I WAS CONVINCED SOME THING WAS WRONG WITH ME, I WAS DYING, NUMEROUS MIDWIVES/SHO'S CHECKED MY OBS AND SAID I WAS FINE, BUT STILL, THIS HEAVINESS IN MY CHEST REMAINED AS I GOT UP AND WALKED. BEFORE I LEFT THE NEXT DAY TO GO HOME WITH MY SECOND BEAUTIFUL NEW DAUGHTER, I HAD BLOOD TAKEN TO CHECK MY BLOOD COUNT, NEEDLESS TO SAY IT WAS VERY LOW, 7.8, IT SCARED ME KEPT MAKING THINGS WORSE BY ASKING THINGS LIKE "DO U DIE FROM ANAEMIA?" THIS WORRY CONTINUED, I WAS SENT HOME FROM HOSPITAL WITH STRICT INTRUCTIONS TO TAKE 3 IRON TABLETS A DAY, THIS WORRY STILL SMOTHERED ME, I WAS GOING TO DIE, I WAS SURE OF IT, THOSE DOCTORS ARE WRONG, I DROVE MY HUSBAND MAD WITH THIS THOUGHT OVER AND OVER AGAIN, REASSURANCES FROM HIM AND MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS DID NOT SWAY ME, I WAS CONVINCED, THE TIGHTNESS IN MY CHEST REMAINED DAY AFTER DAY, KEPT GOING TO THE DOCTORS BUT EACH AND EVERY TIME NOT SATISFIED THAT THERE WAS NOTHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH ME, TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE THE DOCTOR TOOK ME OFF THE IRON TABLETS TO EARLY,SO WHEN I STARTED MY FIRST POST-NATAL PERIOD I WAS ON HEAVY AND IT FELT LIKE I WAS HAEMMORAGING, BACK DOWN TO A AND E FOR SCANS, ALL WAS FINE, BUT STILL NOT SATISFIED, DAY AFTER DAY FEAR MORE SYMPTOMS MORE DISATISFACTION, THEN OCTOBER BANG, ALL WENT BLANK, I COULDN'T FEEL ANY THING NO EMOTIONS, I WAS UNMOTIVATED COULDN'T DO ANYTHING HAD TO FORCE MYSELF OUT OF BED EVERYDAY, WORST OF ALL I STARTED TO GET MURDEROUS THOUGHTS TOWARDS MY NEW DAUGHTER, WHY? THEY WERE OUT OF THE BLUE, I'M A BAD MUM I THOUGHT, FELT ALONE AND SCARED AND FRIGHTENED, THESE LEAD TO THOUGHTS LIKE, AM I A PSYCHO PATH? I COULDN'T CRY I COULDN'T FEEL ANYTHING I WAS NUMB,EXHAUSTED, I WAS REFFERRED TO A PSYCHIATRIST WHO DIAGNOSED ME WITH POSTNATAL DEPRESSION AND THEN LATER DIAGNOSED WITH OCD I TOOK NUNEROUS DIFFERENT MEDS TILL ONES SUITED ME AND BEEN ON THEM 5 YEARS NEARLY, THOUGHTS FADED AFTER FREYA WAS 2, I DO GET FLEETING THOUGHTS WHEN I AM DUE MY PERIOD. ALL HAS BEEN FINE BUT JUST LATELY THE ANXIETY HAS FLARED UP, THE DEPERSONALISATION/DEREALISASION, SCARED/BLANK AND SO WORRIED I'M RELAPSING, SO HERE TO TALK AND GET ADVICE OFF PEOPLE IN THE SAME BOAT AS ME :blush: :yesyes:

nicky20055
22-05-08, 21:13
Hi, I'm a 29 year old mother of 3 who has been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks on and off for the past 12 years.

The anxiety started when i was 17 when i was experiancing dizzy spells and a strange pressure behind my eyes. My GP diagnosed Labarynthitis and that it would eventually clear up. Things got worse and i was sure i was either suffering from a brain tumour or that the esctasy tablet i had taken in the past was had caused brain damage. I felt like i was in a dream and the world seemed strange like i was on drugs. I was prescribed Seroxat and eventually the anxiety passed.
Since then i have suffered two more bouts of anxiety in 1998 and 2001 with the same symptoms, pressure behind eyes, fear of brain tumours and that i was going mad along with the common symptoms of anxiety tingling hands,pounding heart, yawning, nausea etc and again luckely i came through it.

This time the anxiety is worse than ever, it started in November last year with dizziness and face pressure again. I was refered to an ENT consultant to cheak my sinuses but he could find nothing wrong so he thought it best to do a routine MRI to make sure it was nothing sinister. This is when the panic attacks started. The day the appointment letter arrived i experianced the worse panic attack of my life!! I was shaking like a leaf and was absoluely petrified that my life was ending and that the MRI scan would show a tumour. The night of this huge panic attack was the same night i was started on Citalopram so i'm not sure if this was related.
I didn't come out of the panic attack for over a week and was diagnosed as being in a 'constant anxious state'. I lost half a stone as i just kept vomiting and could barely get out of bed, i just felt safer under the quilt breathing into a paper bag to try and stop the panicy feelings.

I only had to wait a fortnight for the MRI scan which was good as i'd made two trips to A&E in that time!
The result was all clear no tumours or anything life threatening. Just a small white area called 'unidentified bright area' which i was told not to worry about as it was nothing but typical me i searched the internet and found all sorts of illnesses that this 'UBA' could be a sign of!!

I've managed to lead a fairly normal life since January with the help of Dosulepin but unfortunatly the anxiety symptoms keep reappearing. I'm now suffering from strange flashing lights in the corner of my vision, depersonalisation and derealisation(which is the really scarey) shaking etc etc.

I think i've always been a anxious person ever since i was a child. I remember reading my mums medical books and thining i had every disease in them!!
But i also wonder if it's my body's way of coping with stress.
Three years ago in April 2005 i lost my first born daughter and my only child at the time to Meningitis, she was only 19 months old.:weep:
I now have two more children a very busy life as they are only 3 and 18 months!!
I can't pinpoint what is causing this anxiety but i'm sure it's a combination of being a born worryer and the stress that the last three years have brought.

I'm so glad i've found this site as every story and every symptom i have read about i can really relate too and it makes me realise i'm not alone. x

OH HONEY, U'VE BEEN THROUGH THE MILL, UR STRONGER THAN U THINK LOOK WHAT U HAVE COPED THROUGH UR AN IDOL TO US SUFFERERS X HOPE THINGS ARE EASIER FOR U NOW, BUT IT'S NO SURPRISING UR FEELING LIKE U ARE X

LOVE NICKY X

AmyB
22-05-08, 21:24
Hi Nicky, How strange, my little girl who died was/is called Freya!!! The most beautiful name in the world. xx

Lilith1980
22-05-08, 21:34
Hi Amy

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx

nicky20055
22-05-08, 21:43
awww babes sorry :weep: hope i haven't dragged up memories x

AmyB
22-05-08, 21:50
No don't worry, i love to talk about her. I think talking about what happened is better than hiding it all away.

Feeling positive today after coming on here.
I will need all of your help in a few weeks when i'm due to go on holiday, i'm so scared the panic attacks will return!!
x

nicky20055
22-05-08, 21:56
i think the most important thing is breathing, i think what helps me in strange places is remembering the people there 99.9% are just as nervous as u x i know it's hard, just remember ur there to relax so ignore any stress around u just concentrate on u and ya family x this is what gets me through x:yesyes: p.s here any time if u want to chat x

love Nicky