PDA

View Full Version : So long (I hope)

AtmoLav
22-05-08, 16:35
I’ve learned more about myself over the past 6 months on here than I thought possible, and I’m getting there on my journey to relief from anxiety – although I’m nowhere near being there yet. I’m maybe at 60%. This should be my last post.

I just wanted to share some of the stuff I think I’ve learned, in the case that it might help.

1) Never believe anything you hear or read
This might seem a random thing to say, but my point is that just because someone’s written it down somewhere doesn’t make it true. Likewise, just because someone’s said something to you doesn’t make it true. Everything that is written or published is opinion, not fact.

Every time you Google something, you get a range of opinions. That’s all it is. That’s all there is. There is not fact, only opinions. This applies to this entire post – it’s my opinion and you have a choice – to believe it or not to believe it. I strongly believe that the majority of anxious people tend to believe more than they dismiss – or at least they tend to believe the catastrophic stuff instead of the more “toned down” versions (maybe that’s why the media are so successful?)

If you’re going to Google a symptom, then make sure you only visit sites written by people who know what they’re on about. For the avoidance of doubt, places like Wikipedia, or WebDoctor or whatever are contributory sites where lots of people can post their opinions. This doesn’t make anything true.

Instead, believe in the stuff that makes you happy. No-one knows if it's true, but stuff it - it makes you happy right? So believe in it.

2) Be careful who you ask for help
One of the reasons I’m leaving the forum is that I’m not convinced that it can help me any further. I’m on my own from now on, and that’s the way it’s got to be.

Part of the reason for this is that I’ve come to the conclusion that if I need to seek re-assurance, I’m better off asking people who aren’t anxious people. I don’t mean any offence by this, but I figure that if I ask someone with similar thought patterns to myself as to what they think of symptom X, Y or Z, they’re likely to respond in the same way I’ve already responded.

3) Be careful how you respond to posts on here
Further to the above, I think people need to be a lot more careful as to how they respond to posts on here. Lots of people read them.

I’ve seen so many posts which say

“Hi guys, I have and I’m really worried. Is it anxiety or is it [insert life-threatening condition here]?”

Then lots of people reply with:

“oooh, I had that and it turned out to be [some physical problem]”, or “go to the GP” or something similar.

This is damaging to someone’s state of mind, in my opinion. People come on here to seek re-assurance, but on several occasions I’ve left more panicked because someone’s suggested something I hadn’t already thought about.

4) Re-assurance is an addiction
The more reassurance you seek, the more you need in the future. You’ll find that reassurance will stop working…you’ll need more, more, more. You’ll have multiple tests, all which come back normal and still you need more. Not having re-assurance makes you feel ill. You need it, you crave it, you want it. Sounds like an addiction to me – and an unhealthy one at that.

Try and learn to accept that you feel the way you feel and challenge yourself. Try to stop asking for reassurance all the time.

What will be will be and there’s nothing you can do about it. So don’t let your every waking minute be distracted by worrying about what might be.

5) Eventually, you need to go it alone
This is what I’ve learned. I need to go and get on with my life now.

The more you feed this anxiety beast – the more you try to work out what it is and how to stop it, the more you pay attention to it. The more you learn about it, the more deep you get into it.

I’ll leave you with the words of a very corny Noel Gallagher – who’s written about anxiety so many times. Here’s my own personal fave…..

Good luck. Enjoy the ride ;-)

[I]What tongueless ghost of sin crept through my curtains?
Sailing on a sea of sweat on a stormy night
I think he don't got a name but I can't be certain
And in me he starts to confide

That my family don't seem so familiar
And my enemies all know my name
And if you hear me tap on your window
Better get on yer knees and pray…panic is on the way

My pulse pumps out a beat to the ghost dancer
My eyes are dead and my throat's like a black hole
And if there's a god would he give another chancer
An hour to sing for his soul

Cos my family don't seem so familiar
And my enemies all know my name
And when you hear me tap on yer window
Yer better get on yer knees and pray panic is on the way

marie1974
22-05-08, 16:42
hi i kind of agree with bits of wot u say and sometimes the hard tough approach is a good one if you can do it that way and go it alone. i too at some points in my life have done wot u are doing now, but people can not deal with it in this way and are reasured by other posts on sites like these and do not feel strong enough to perhaps do it as you are. but its a very honest thread and you are brave doing it and im glad the site helped you. i too love this site and every day i feel better about myself with the help of my cbt too, most people here i talk too dont have much support and try to cope alone anyway but it helps to get alittle encouagement from this site. hugs to u and i hope you do well in your life and stay happy xxxxxxxxx

Cathy V
22-05-08, 18:11
Yes I wish you all the very best with the other 40% of your recovery. I guess the 60% recovery that you already have is a tribute to nmp.

Like donna, 'bits' of what you say i can relate to, but i have to say that for me personally, without nmp these last weeks i wouldn't be going out of my door. Its only the thought that there are others who feel exactly how i'm feeling out in that street, that we can't all have a serious illness so they are only feelings and they will pass, these thoughts keep me putting one foot in front of the other up that street, and thats the point that i think you might be missing.

Yeah sure one day we want to go it alone, but i for one would like to give something back to the people that will ultimately help me to 'go it alone' I'd like to stay on here and keep the friends ive made while i was ill. How many members of your family or workmates can you call at 3 in the morning coz you're on your knees in panic? not too many i would say.

Theres a mixture of personalities here and anx effects everyone in a different way and not all of the information given in the posts are relavent to everyone, but whatever your particular health worry is theres genuine kindness and enormous desire to make ppl feel better, thats got to count for part of recovery. Nmp is a lifeline and stepping stones to recovery, and there are soooooo many successes on here, i'm reading them every day, so for what its worth i'm sticking with it.

Youve been a member so something brought you here to begin with, and its great that you feel so much better. May your success continue.

Best wishes and take care
Cathy xxxxx :hugs:

marie1974
22-05-08, 18:14
totally agree with u cathy, spot on and atmo, nmp helped u loads and without this u may not be where u r today and so confident. im pleased u are strong and hope it continues xxxxxxx

chalky
22-05-08, 18:46
Hi Atmolav,

I want to wish you every possible success with your future.
Look after and keep believing in yourself.
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Best wishes,
Chalky

kellie
22-05-08, 19:24
good bye
good luck
and may god bless you
i wish you all the best on your road to recovery

take care.

kellie.xxxxxxxxxx

Lilith1980
22-05-08, 22:04
Hi Atmo

All the best for the future in your recovery :hugs:

Jo xxxxx

Southern_Belle
23-05-08, 02:23
Hi AtmoLav,

I wish you continued success in your life's journey.

Many hugs,

Laura

fairyloveheart
27-05-08, 16:24
Bye Bye Atmolav
Best of luck for the future.
I agree with your posts - certainly the bit about reassurance.....
Even so, thanks for your help and advice - you have helped me!
Take Care
FLH
x:hugs: