PDA

View Full Version : State of Mind and Lumps

Corye20
22-05-08, 19:37
Hey Guys,

I've been battling anxiety for a far bit now - currently take clonazapam in the morning and before bed, and effexor xr (150 mg, was on 300 mg). I notice i get really really vivid dreams, sometimes I don't even know if I dreamt it the next day (like if I dreamt about paying bills, or being charged for something) and half the time I'll wake up drenched in sweat. My wife says I make a lot of noises and move a lot when I sleep and will talk for hours on end - never use to. Anyways, that's not my major issues. My issue is that I keep finding lymph nodes in my neck, it started out under my jaw and 2 superficial nodes at the back of the large muscle in the neck. The ones in the jaw I made really sore from constantly poking at them. So eventually I managed to stop poking those and they got better, the other 2 have never shrunk down but I still continue to poke at them every 20 minutes - so no wonder. I have also been checking everywhere else in my neck and have managed to find 2 or 3 more nodes. Not sure if this is caused by my poking or not. I'm worried that they could be cancerous or from HIV (I'm notorious for slipping and falling down and I fell stepping off of a curb and scrapped my arm and when I got up I had a used condom stuck to the sore (still warm and freshly used). My mother is currently dieing of cancer and is in the hospital, my wife is pregnant and is due in about 3 weeks (not even sure if my mom will still be around to see). It just keeps getting worse. I can't help myself anymore. I guess I'm just looking for some advice. I have had the previous lumps checked by my doctor and have explained the condom insident to him. I also had a CBC (before the condom insident) andeverything came back normal. I hope someone replies, I feel so alone.

Cory

kellie
22-05-08, 20:08
hiya Corye. ill try to explain this as best i can hun about glands/nodes.
here goes.
After visiting my doc on numerous occasions about swollen glands/nodes in my neck ( as i have health anx and fear cancer so much) she told me this.
when you are over stressed or anx is very high it makes the body run down and tierd the same as it might feel when we have an infection or nasty bug.
you immune system will respond to this by going into over drive and will make glands in your body enlarge to help fight infection.
the most commen places to feel these glands will be in your neck area and you groin area.
when your stress calms dowm and you feel less tierd and stressed your immune calm down and then the glands will reduce to normal size. but i must add the more you prod and poke at these while they are presant the more you are going to make then sore, so plz plz leave them alone. do you google as well as this will only make you feel worse and scare you .
i hope i have helped you a little
take care .

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jellybean43
22-05-08, 20:20
Hi
Aww really sorry you are feeling this way. I can honestly understand how you are feeling as i too have a swelling in my neck and have driven myself mad with worry.
Right, first things first. I definately think it is HA and has been triggered off by the fact that your mum is so poorly and the worry of it all.As Kellie says, the stress will be making your body react by raising your glands.
I had had a difficult time and the next thing i new my gland was up!!!
It is still raised but i have been to my doc and had blood tests, a chest neck X ray plus another 2 docs check me out!!I KNOW I AM CRAZY lol!!!!
Also i would try not to prod and poke cos i have done that (ooooops and some days i still am) for the past 8 months and the gland is still the same size!!!I know if i stop poking(which is easier said than done) it will probably go down!!
I also suffered night sweats for a short while---but as soon as i got a lighter duvet and opened a window slightly they have stopped!!!!!
Plus the worry of your wife being pregnant and not knowing if your mum will see her grandchild must be hard. Please try and not focus on your neck---I am certain if the doc has checked you over you will be fine!!
Take care----xxx

Corye20
22-05-08, 20:33
Thank you so much for your help and kind words. I'm glad to find people who have gone through their own personal hell of HA. It's a battle every day just to keep going and not to give up entirely. I've been so bad that I have burnt myself on purpose so that I would get some temporary relief of thinking about my neck. :(

crunchie01
22-05-08, 21:13
hi
i really understand how you are feeling,i am currently concerned over two glands in my groin,i have no swollen glands anywhere else just there and i have poked and prodded them all day and now they hurt,i have convinced myself i have hiv because of this and because i had a one night stand 5 years ago stupid i know.what kellie has wrote has really helped me so i hope it will bring some comfort and reassurance to yourself.take care

jenniexx

Corye20
27-05-08, 18:22
So I went for my 3 month review with my family doctor and explained to him about all my "Issues". He has now decided that it would be best for me to see a Psychiatrist.....which worries me. My dad would practically disown me if he found out, so my wife has said that noone in my family besides me and her need to know. Which is very supportive of her. Am I crazy? My doctor says that it should only be one consultation simply to evaluate my state, my medication and to suggest medication changes/future steps to take. I hope that's all it will be......I've been really down. I thought I'd be able to take care of this with out being sent to a Psychiatrist. Does anyone else here see someone like this for their anxiety? My appointment isn't until June 12th, 2008. My wife says it's for the best as both her and the upcomming baby will need me to be at my best, and to actually enjoy life instead of just being concerned and worried.

jellybean43
27-05-08, 20:31
HI
Please dont worry. I am starting to see a counsellor just as soon as i get to the top of the waiting list and I CANT WAIT!!!! I feel it will be the best thing for me and I am sure it will be the same for yourself. There is no shame in it---anything to help us feel better!!
I havent told my parents as they are old and they wouldnt understand---but all my friends and my grown up kids know.
Take care---I am sure you will be fine xxxxx