PDA

View Full Version : HIGH CEILINGS AND FLOURESCENT LIGHTS??

panicks
09-04-05, 01:39
IM SURE MANY OF YOU EXPERIENCE THIS (I HOPE)....WHENEVER I GO TO A BIG SHOPPING MALL WITH HIGH CEILINGS I JUST START TO GET HOT, SWEATY, DIZZY, AND AN OVERALL "WEIRD" FEELING.....CANT STAND THAT....IS THERE A REASON FOR THIS?....

mumof4
09-04-05, 10:15
I think its down to anxiety i get it too but not as much as i used to i have learnt to ignore it and it will go away.

I work in a pertol station and we have them in our work so i guess i have just got used to it.

Heebyjeebies
09-04-05, 11:33
I get the thing with the high ceilings. It feels like vertigo. I also get the same weired feeling if I look up at a tall building. I recently went to a concert in a huge arena and once I'd looked up at how high the ceiling was I was in a panic all through the concert. I can definitely relate to your problem but apart from not looking up, I've not yet found an answer.

Heeby

florence
09-04-05, 11:56
Hi Panicks

Yes , i have experienced it in my early stage of anxiety, I would feel really uncomfortable in supermarkets, like you said high ceilings but also white floor !!!! I would feel dizzy indeed, i once cried while i was queuing in supermarket, thinking i couldnt cope anymore.
So i know exactly what you mean! its anxiety related defo.
Take care.

Florence. x

**See the world more as what it is, less as what you are.**

seh1980
09-04-05, 12:00
I get the same thing. It's definitely just anxiety..:D

panicks
09-04-05, 15:21
now do you think this is something that will pass or will i have to deal with this the rest of my life?

Meg
09-04-05, 18:59
You are not alone..

I think the more you stay in the situation and adjust gently to them , he easier it gets. I think its harder if you whizz in and whizz out as it is a big adjustment for your eyes suddenly.

Lights: problems with light (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2390)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

florence
10-04-05, 19:54
Hi Panicks

You wont have this for the rest of your life! It will pass, you 're just having a bad patch. I know you think "this will never go away" or " i dont see any way out" , as I used to think also. I am sure you'll have better times , just like I did ever since.

Take care.

Florence. x

**See the world more as what it is, less as what you are.**

lainey
11-04-05, 12:29
Hi there

I used to get this in the supermarket, you must n't avoid these places, as it will make you worse, just do small trips instead and gradually the symptoms will ease I can assure you.

Take care

Elaine x

panicks
15-04-05, 02:17
yes i understand everyone, but it has been like this for a couple years now.....well how long have any of you dealt with it and did it go away?

Meg
15-04-05, 09:31
Panicks

I will not go away unless you address the issues yourself.

You need to set aside some time when you visit the mall and take the time to adapt to the lighting and height.

Don't try to do any shopping - just walk around, sit on a bench and try to stay put and adapt for a few minutes at a time. Take a friend if it helps.

Remind yourself constantly that it cannot harm you and its a case of adapting to a new scanario and letting your spacial awareness beome familiar with a new environment.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

panicks
16-04-05, 01:31
hey meg...trust me ive been to the mall by myself twice and it was not the prettiest thing ..sweating, dizziness, worrying etc etc....and believe everytime i do go to the mall i try and try to "adapt" and nothing it is all the same.....meg did u go through this?

Meg
16-04-05, 10:37
About 6 times it took.

First couple of times with shades on to protect from the lights.

Just sat inside the entrance, then into the real hub of it - knowing it was only 131 steps to get out, then a walk around one of the floors, then into a shop but not to buy anything and so forth.

I eventually went each day for a week so the memories and soon sucesses were recent.

Earlier I had been weeks apart and found that didn't help at all. I was in too much of a state with anticipatory anxiety to even get through the doors.

Meg

nomorepanic
16-04-05, 17:11
I don't like shopping centres. There is this big one in Sheffield and it always made me feel weird in there.

Apparently it is moving slightly as well so makes you feel a bit dizzy in there.

I just kept going back and like Meg suggested I would sometimes just sit inside the entrance for a while till I adjusted to it.

I takes time to get used to it but it does come with practice and perseverance.

Nicola