PDA

View Full Version : a proper intro: new and hoping for acceptance

befuddled1
24-05-08, 12:38
Hello
My name's Beth, 27, socially anxious, and anxious about death and anxious in a number of other ways too. Been on here a few days but didn't really introduce myself properly so here it is. Despite the fact that I find the site useful and have posted quite a few times already, I also find this kinda anxiety provoking as it feels like another group of people who I need to find acceptance amongst. Does that sound silly?
As I said, it's useful too though, people seem nice and I relate to some of the issues on here.
I'm a student at the moment on a pretty hard course and anxiety makes it harder. I struggle with social anxiety and (some) paranoid thoughts amongst my peers and also struggle with my work because of anxiety/avoidance/low motivation - I don't know what it is to be honest but it seems to be here to stay!! Also got some health worries at the moment. So, if anyone is in need to of some worry or anxiety I have a bit too spare, and I can give you a good deal on it!
Would love to get to know people on here but am going to struggle with the social nature of the site, does anyone else experience this?
Yours anxiously,
Beth

lilly-lou
24-05-08, 12:49
Hi Beth,
I suffer from social anxiety I also have agoraphobia, I get what you are saying about finding acceptance I visited the site for a couple of days before I posted as I was so afraid of what others would think. I struggle really bad socially and don't trust many but everybody I spoke to here all seem to be really nice and supportive.

Trixie
24-05-08, 12:53
Hello there :D I am an extrovert, I am chatty and I love comedy. I have a lot of friends and go out to meet them every day. You might wonder why I am on this board, well I suffer from anxiety attacks which centre on my cat.

If I think he is ill I can feel my insides draining away I am on anti-depressants because of this.

The thing is I have a brain tumour so I don't know if this is the cause or it is just a blip in my personality.

My daughter suffers from OCD, agraphobia, social paranoia etc. But fortunately she has my sense of humour which seems to help her.

You shouldn't have to prove yourself to be accepted, my policy is if someone doesn't like me, tough, it's their loss.

Welcome :flowers:

befuddled1
24-05-08, 13:15
thanks lilly, I have trouble trusting people too, but like you said everyone seems nice here.
Trixie, thanks for the welcome, you have quite a story there.
Beth x

Lilith1980
24-05-08, 14:54
Hi Beth

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx

freakedout
24-05-08, 15:06
Hi Beth,

Welcome to the site, thanks for telling us a bit about yourself.

I can relate to much of what you wrote, I too am a student, but due to panics, anxiety and agoro I cannot attend a 'brick uni' so am studying at home. I can totally understand your anxieties in social situations.

I also find this kinda anxiety provoking as it feels like another group of people who I need to find acceptance amongst. Does that sound silly?

Not at all, it makes total sense to me. Often I post on the site and then feel paranoid about what at what I have written, thinking people will just think 'unaccepting' things about me. That is my problem, but that said, I have never been made to feel unwelcome. Quite the opposite, members are really supportive, and I have developed some very good friendships here.

Trixie your comments are great - they certainly help me to keep things in perspective as you say we shouldnt have to prove yourself to be accepted.

Take care

Freaky

marie1974
24-05-08, 15:46
hi beth and welcome to this site, its really helped me being here and im sure it will u too. everyone is lovely and we dont judge, you will meet lots of new friends and get lots of support and advice. what ever the issue or problem no matter how small or big it is , we all help each other cos everyones problems are important to them. big hugs xxxxxxxx

trac67
24-05-08, 15:51
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx

andie73
24-05-08, 17:14
Hi Beth

Welcome from me and although I really understand where you're coming from you are not alone and you don't need to add acceptance here to your anxieties. Everyone is really welcoming.

Hope to see you in chat.

befuddled1
24-05-08, 18:32
thanks for all your messages. I do feel welcomed!!!
Beth :D

Southern_Belle
24-05-08, 20:45
Hi Beth,

Welcome to the site. You will find that many here will understand how you are feeling and you will get support. I know that I am quite shy and usually the last one to speak up so I do get where you are coming from. I would just go at your own pace and take your time and soon you will feel right at home. This is a great place to be :-)

Many hugs,

Laura

kellie
25-05-08, 11:44
hiya :welcome: to nmp its lovely to have you here :biggrin: . you will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way. keep posting with what ever is on your mind and we will help as much as we can.
love and happiness
take care.

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lindalou64
25-05-08, 13:06
Hello Beth And Welcome ....i Wish Ya Well.......linda

bunnypop
25-05-08, 13:12
Hi Beth,

Welcome. I have only become a member in the few days but I have already found some great people.

You are in the right place with the right people and please don't worry about being accepted... we are all in the same boat here.

Laura xx