PDA

View Full Version : Possible Coping Tool For My Agoraphobia?

mtatum4496
24-05-08, 15:16
I had a thought today and wondered if I could get the benefit of the opinions of people here on this board.

It dawned on me that in just about every instance of attempting to get out of the house, I focus on going into places where there is some ongoing activity - going to the bank, the grocery store, a restaurant with other diners there at the same time, etc. In short, all the "normal" places I used to go without a second thought.

Now, that is not always the case. My daily bike ride is outside and has increasingly become pleasant. There are still days when it is hard to get out there for the bike ride, but it seems that more often than not, I actually want to go on the bike ride.

In like manner, I can go to friend's homes where things are relatively quiet and get by with very little increase in my anxiety levels. I have had a couple of instances where time at a friend's house seemed to decrease the anxiety.

But it occurred to me today I am neglecting two potential places I could go and perhaps not have the fear of being out of the house rise to a level where I experience a panic attack - a public park and the local library.

Both are relatively quiet, yet still have people around so I feel as if I am really and truly out in the world, and in the case of the park I have the benefit of being able to get some sun at the same time.

I'm not suggesting that I cut back on my attempts to get out into busier places, but I am wondering if adding these two relatively quiet outings to my efforts would be a help with not only the agoraphobia but also my anxiety and my panic attacks.

What do you think?

andie73
25-05-08, 09:17
I"m not agrophobic myself but think that I could very easily be as I always have to really push myself to go out. I think that any activity you can possibly do that involves leaving the house (your safe) place is going to benefit your recovery. It is good that you recognise that these slightly easier places should not be instead of the more challenging one though as that would be avoidance. Maybe you could also use the quieter places as a preparation for the busier ones, ie go to the library before you go to the shops. I always find it's much more bearable if you tackle difficult tasks in bite sized pieces. It seems alot less daunting. With me I get a sense of euphoria when I've achieved something I set out to do so maybe if you are pleased with your progress at the library or park it will boost you to take the next step.

Good luck and keep taking small steps.

maddie
25-05-08, 11:36
Great idea. That's just what I am doing to overcome my agrophobia

mtatum4496
25-05-08, 12:52
Thank you, Andrea and Maddie. I think I will add both of those places to my list of outings this coming week and see how things go.