PDA

View Full Version : Flying

Annette
09-04-05, 14:00
I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on fear of flying. I have always been afraid but the last time I flew was last year before the panic attacks started. I am scared I am going to panic whilst in the air with nowhere to go. I am off to Nice with my friends for a weekend at the end of this month.
I use rescue remedy which can help but would appreciate any tips anyone may have.

Thanks

Annette x

seh1980
09-04-05, 15:11
hello Annette,

Take loads of things that will help distract you such as books, music, food, water, etc. There are loads of previous posts written about flying so I'm sure if you read some, you will get some good advice..

Sarah :D

kairen
09-04-05, 16:39
Hi Annette,

Boy do you get my sympathy on this one, im petrified of flying i go away in 7 weeks and i feel sick every time i think about it, reaaaallly sick, last year was the worst, i was stood in the check in and o just thought i cant do this it was pure blinding panic, but i just had to do it i calmed myself down eventually, but it was so hard, i just kept sayin dont be daft over and over hoping that i'd believe it, well i must have done cos i got on, and funnily enough i'm never as bad coming home so i think it is a bit of holiday nerves aswell.

Everytime i think about it now i just think of my holiday after the flight tell myself not to be so stupid and everything will be ok,

I think of the pilot and think if he thought for one minute that the plane was going to crash do u think he would get on it,

I know its easy to say but i do totally understand on this one i think that is one fear that will never leave me,

p's have a few drinks that works for me only a few mind or they wont let u on LOL

Ytr not to let it spoil yr holiday i pretend im sitting ao a train that takes away a bit off it.

good luck xxxx

kairen x

Meg
09-04-05, 18:44
Ohh Kairen

*just thought i cant do this

i just kept sayin dont be daft

tell myself not to be so stupid*

Next time be a bit more upbeat and positive. Can you see the negatives in these ... not good to keep putting yourself down.

Have a go with something like ..

I'm know I'm going to be fine however uncomfortable it is ..

I'm doing ok - keep it up

Its only a little while left- well done for coping

Yes, it feels manageable . Thats good

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sal
09-04-05, 20:31
Hi Annette

I am just like you, it is the what if i panic in the middle of the flight and cant get off, which we know we cant. That is the fear that you cant get off and that brings on the panic. Remember you are with friends and it is a short flight, and if you do get anxious talk to your friends and talk your way out of it.

I took a big step last year and went abroad with my 9 year old daughter on my own, i was dying with panic as i got on the plane but i kept reminding myself that it wasnt going to beat me and however hard it got i would get through it and i did.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

henri
09-04-05, 23:54
hi annette,
i'm totally scared of flying too. last time i went to heathrow airport i had to see the onsite paramedic because i had such a huge panic attack! i actually got on the flight, unbelievably enough, but with me i took my laptop, dvds, walkman, book, magazines, food, water and the kitchen sink to keep me occupied!
the only way i could deal with it was distraction, sort of pretending i wasn't on a plane.
henri x

alexis
10-04-05, 21:21
With you all the way on this one Annette, I take classical music and personal cd player, press it tight in my ears.A piece of blu tac to pull and elastic band to twang.This helps a lot. i also think a lot about what is at the other end.
I am one for writing, morning noon and night, I will write lists with pros and cons as to why I should and shouldnt go, The pros always win.
Try to Be brave and remember you are not alone.
Alexis
Remember big deep breaths.

Annette
10-04-05, 21:30
Thanks a million for all the great replies. Sorry to be so slow with the thanks. I do not seem to have had a minute to get to the computer all weekend.
Distraction will probably help. I am going with two friends who I have known for years and they are both lovely people so that is in my favour. I have my rescue remedy and it is only a short flight.
I have only had these panic attacks for 6 months and I feel I can't trust myself anymore. I am even worried about spoiling the weekend for my friends as unfamiliar situations seem to make me worse, but I know if I start to avoid things it will be so much harder to get on top of this.
On the bright side I managed to get through a trip to the theatre the other day. I did start to panic but somehow managed to breathe through it. I have always loved the theatre and was determined I wasn't going to waste the opportunity. It was Jesus Christ Superstar that I saw and to be honest the actor playing Jesus was quite tasty so perhaps that distracted me. LOL.

Funny how on a good day it is so much easier to be positive.

Annette x

sal
10-04-05, 21:43
Hi Annette

How true that is "on a good day things seem easier" but lets all hope that we get lots more good days and no more bad days in the future. Pleased you managed to calm your panic at the threatre, but someone easy on the eyes always helps LOL

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Annette
12-04-05, 19:22
Sal,

Heh heh.....how right you are!

Annette x

sal
12-04-05, 23:22
Annette

I am sure you will be fine with your close friends, but if you struggle just remember how good looking the pilot could be, easy on the eyes again mate and you are sorted.

Love Sal xx

Juliet
17-04-05, 12:45
Annette,
I too hate flying..always have even before I had panic attacks.and I know exactly what you mean about being worried about having an attack mid air!I think distraction is the key,as has already been suggested.And just bear in mind that even if the worst did happen and you had an attack...you would be ok....you would cope with it as you always do!!Another thing that helped me was to go to the airport viewing area at my local airport.I stayed there for about an hour and watched LOADS of planes taking off and landing SAFELY.Made me feel so much more confident.I actually dont mind flying so much now.Just keep in mind why you are doing it too....nice holiday at the end of it!Will be well worth it.xxx

linjane
17-04-05, 13:09
Hi Annette,
I'm another one, absolutely terrified of flying!!!! The last time I flew was over three years ago and we went to Jamaica, which was over a 10hr flight!!! I didn't like it, especially coming back with bad turbulence, but I managed it - don't know how though!!! I don't know if I could do that trip now, I wasn't suffering with the ectopics then and because they scare me so much, how would I cope if I got them on a plane? Saying that, though, we do want to try to go abroad this year, somewhere closer lol, so I am going to try, because I can't ruin everyone elses fun just cuz of me, but I know I will be scared.

I think you will be ok, it is a short enough flight to try and the break will do you good.

Glad you got through your theatre visit.
Take care,
Love, Linda.x

sal
17-04-05, 21:31
Hi Annette

Just focus on the holiday after the flight and i always find the return journey easier as you are coming back to your home ground. Dont forget that however bad you feel, if you do at all, that you have a great support network round you, friends, and no one can deny how important they are in our lifes.

Love Sal xx

Annette
17-04-05, 21:35
Thanks everyone for all of those messages of support. Linda, if you managed a 10 hour flight I feel more confident that I can manage a short hop across the channel so many thanks for sharing that with me. :)
At the moment I think my worst fears are to do with being away. i am really worried that I will panic whilst away and spoil the weekend for everyone. I saw the doctor the other day and mentioned this. He was quite understanding and accepted that I do not want any meds at the moment, but prescribed lorazapam (ativan) 1mg just in case I need it. I only have 10 tablets but have been reading about them being really addictive and wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this. I shouldn't imagine it is possible to get addicted from just 10 tablets but wanted to check with you guys.
Sal.....mmmm pilots uniforms....it's working already!
Thanks again for all of your wonderful advice.

Annette x

p.s. sorry for any typing errors I may have made. Am using partners laptop and the keyboard is unfamiliar. Also my very curious burmese cat, "Pig" has decided to help me type! Such a naughty boy.

sal
17-04-05, 21:46
Hi Annette

That is my thinking too it isnt only the flight but the fact that we arent a taxi ride from home. But you agreed to do this which is positive in yourself and you will be fine once you are there. I think we dwell on the flight when we also know it is worry about being away from home.

Trust me i am sure you will be fine and if you have a moment, think about the pilot that will be bringing you home LOL

You take care and enjoy it, remember you deserve that.

Love Sal xx

Annette
17-04-05, 22:12
Thanks Sal,

My best defense against panic is that I am stubborn as a mule! I will not turn down anything I have previously enjoyed. I simply refuse to.
Heh heh it's the first time my stubborness has really worked in my favour.

Annette x

sal
18-04-05, 00:03
Just like you stubborn and why let it beat us when we know we can do it. Well done you, that is the way to go on.

Love Sal xx

linjane
19-04-05, 07:20
Hi Annette,
I really think you'll be fine. I don't know anything about the meds, but you sound a lot like me. You suffer with the anxiety but don't actually let it stop you doing things so at least we face it head-on. Also, I'm not on any meds either, but do take a few vitamins. Vitamin B100 from Holland and Barrett is for the nervous system, magnesium apparently should help my ectopics, Vitamin E (can't remember what thats for,lol) and your safety net, Rescue Remedy. Remember your breathing and you could even take a relaxation CD with you.

You deserve this break so try to focus on the positive. You're not that far from home and I am sure your friends will support you, no matter what.
Love, Linda.xxx

Annette
19-04-05, 20:36
Thanks for the vits info Linda. I might go and get some. I think the Lorazapam will be for emergencies only. I tested one the other might and it did help me sleep which was absolutely necessary at the time but was not keen on the effects whilst awake which I am quite relieved about since I don't want to get hooked.

Annette x

sal
19-04-05, 21:36
Hi Annette

Just remember you will be with your friends, people who accept you for you warts and all. Good days or bad days they will be there for you.

Love Sal xx

Annette
04-05-05, 16:01
Well I did it! I flew to Nice and had a fabulous time with only 2 minor panic attacks due to tiredness and the train to monaco going through a lot of long tunnels!
My friends were lovely and supportive which helped a lot.
Thanks for all of your kind advice which really helped.
Now I can get on with planning next years girly weekend away. I think we will go to Nice again because we havent seen enough of it yet.

Annette x

Meg
04-05-05, 16:10
Well done Annette, Nice one..

Can you try and go away again sooner to build up your confidence ?

seh1980
04-05-05, 18:16
[Wow!] Annette - well done hun!! :D

Karen
04-05-05, 22:16
Well done Annette. Glad you had a good time.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

linjane
05-05-05, 06:50
Hi Annette,

Well done, I knew you could do it!![8D] You can give me some tips soon, we're hoping to go abroad in the 'summer' and I'm dreading the flight!!

Take care, speak to you soon,
Love,

Linda.x