PDA

View Full Version : Query about MRI and MS

veebee
25-05-08, 10:41
Hi

I have an MRI scheduled next month - as some of you may know I am worried about MS.

Thing is, its an MRI of my brain I'm having done....Ibut thought MS lesions showed up on the spine?

Does anyone know anything about why its my head they're scanning rather than my spine? My neuro knows its MS I'm concerned about, he says 'unlikely' but I can't understand why its my head he's scanning and not my spine.

thanks

Trixie
25-05-08, 11:08
Now here is a bit of info http://www.guide4living.com/multiple-sclerosis/mri.htm but don't forget everything is going to turn out fine.:yesyes:

I have my MRI next month and I am not worrying so we will both not worry together :roflmao:

AcroSplat
25-05-08, 12:46
Hi Veebee

With My MRI ...... They only scanned the brain and the part of the spinal cord that is located in the neck. I wasnt aware that u had to check the whole spinal cord while checking for MS.

Trixie
25-05-08, 12:49
Hi Veebee

With My MRI ...... They only scanned the brain and the part of the spinal cord that is located in the neck. I wasnt aware that u had to check the whole spinal cord while checking for MS.

What did you have the MRI for?

AcroSplat
25-05-08, 12:58
What did you have the MRI for?

I initially had dizzyness and vertigo. 10 days after that i noticed minor leg jerking and then shortly after that muscle twitches developed.

I thought i had a brain tumor or MS. The MRI was looking for a reason for the dizzyness and looking for traces of demylation. They found nothing and the result was: Normal Study.

Dizzyness has now gone after a month, but i still have the leg and arm jerking, and a few muscle twitches.

Trixie
25-05-08, 13:29
I initially had dizzyness and vertigo. 10 days after that i noticed minor leg jerking and then shortly after that muscle twitches developed.

I thought i had a brain tumor or MS. The MRI was looking for a reason for the dizzyness and looking for traces of demylation. They found nothing and the result was: Normal Study.

Dizzyness has now gone after a month, but i still have the leg and arm jerking, and a few muscle twitches.

I had my MRI to see if they could find the cause of my tinnitus which I had, had in my left ear for about 16 months. They couldn't find the reason for it but found a brain tumour instead. I suffer from vertigo and I am on Serc 18 but mine is caused by an arthritic neck apparently.

veebee
25-05-08, 15:38
Hi, sorry everyone, I'm probably just displaying my ignorance about the whole procedure...my GP did explain that the scan would take in part of my neck, I just wasn't sure whether the whole of my spine had to be scanned to check for MS.

thanks for the replies!

countrygirl
25-05-08, 17:06
It is almost unheard of for someone with ms to have lesions in their spine and not in their brain, so the first one they do is the brain mri which takes in brain stem and beg of spine in neck.

I am having one in two weeks - good luck I hate the claustrophobia but as this will be my 7th I know I can get through it albeit with a racing heart and trembling body!!

AcroSplat
25-05-08, 17:12
They blindfolded me in mine.... which i think was a good idea as i saw nothing, so i didnt feel any claustrophobia. They should also give you something to put inside you ears.

Trixie
25-05-08, 19:10
It is almost unheard of for someone with ms to have lesions in their spine and not in their brain, so the first one they do is the brain mri which takes in brain stem and beg of spine in neck.

I am having one in two weeks - good luck I hate the claustrophobia but as this will be my 7th I know I can get through it albeit with a racing heart and trembling body!!

That makes three of us. Where I have mine done they allow you to bring a CD to play I am taking one by Victoria Wood this time.:roflmao:

Trixie
25-05-08, 19:11
They blindfolded me in mine.... which i think was a good idea as i saw nothing, so i didnt feel any claustrophobia. They should also give you something to put inside you ears.

Do they not provide headphones so you can play music or an audio book?

itoldyouiwasill
25-05-08, 20:17

Just to say this is exactly how my stuff all started.

I had a really stressful month last July and this culminated in me finding a lump....had a scan and got the all clear and thought all would be back to normal.

About a week later I woke one morning and felt dizzy and spaced out...this feeling lasted about a month to 5 weeks and then all the buzzing, jerking and twitching started alongside the fatigue and muscle aches and pains...I also thought MS and ALS at times but I have seen over 10 different GP's and a neuro who have all said anxiety!! My neuro said an MRI was pointless as was obvious that I was physically fine neurologically from my clinical exam.

Nearly a year later and all the buzzing and twitching/jerking still going strong...I think I am suffering from the physical effects of anxiety and feel that this has also brought on Benign Fascualtion Syndrome.

veebee
27-05-08, 20:33
HI I told you I was ill, have you been back to docs about Benign Fasticulation syndrome?

AcroSplat
28-05-08, 13:20
Just to say this is exactly how my stuff all started.

I had a really stressful month last July and this culminated in me finding a lump....had a scan and got the all clear and thought all would be back to normal.

About a week later I woke one morning and felt dizzy and spaced out...this feeling lasted about a month to 5 weeks and then all the buzzing, jerking and twitching started alongside the fatigue and muscle aches and pains...I also thought MS and ALS at times but I have seen over 10 different GP's and a neuro who have all said anxiety!! My neuro said an MRI was pointless as was obvious that I was physically fine neurologically from my clinical exam.

Nearly a year later and all the buzzing and twitching/jerking still going strong...I think I am suffering from the physical effects of anxiety and feel that this has also brought on Benign Fascualtion Syndrome.

Hi itoldyouiwasill

Can i ask what do you mean by muscle jerking ??? Ive been talking about muscle jerking ... but i think im taking about involuntary leg and arm movements while sitting in the arm chair or laying down.

It almost feels like there is a minor twitch either in my leg or arm and it causes the leg to move on its own. The movement is really small. I dont hit anything or anyone when it happens. I havent noticed it in my sleep so i assume nothing happens when im asleep.

Some times i feel it internaly in my waste area ..... no limbs move though.

So is this what you are getting when u say jerking ?

AcroSplat
29-05-08, 09:40
To all those who had an MRI due to suspected MS ..... Were you injected with a contrast die ???

I found this from the about website.

http://ms.about.com/od/multiplesclerosis101/a/ms_diagnosis.htm

MRIs use magnetic waves to produce images of the brain and spinal cord. A special contrast material (gadolinium) is usually injected for the scan when MS is suspected, as it reacts to areas of inflammation and will "light up" when a sympton is occuring.

As mentioned, this is considered the best test for diagnosing MS, as abnormal lesions appear on MRIs in over 95% of people with MS. However, 5% of people with MS do not have abnormalities that can be detected on an MRI (producing a false negative), and some age-related damage looks like MS lesions (producing a false positive).

They didnt inject me with anything. :mad:

Today my left arm is sort of burning / stinging but also feels a bit cold. (Has been for a week or so) Some times it appears in little spots and comes and goes. but it feels vague ..... i cant tell if its real or not.

Trixie
29-05-08, 10:28
To all those who had an MRI due to suspected MS ..... Were you injected with a contrast die ???

I found this from the about website.

http://ms.about.com/od/multiplesclerosis101/a/ms_diagnosis.htm

MRIs use magnetic waves to produce images of the brain and spinal cord. A special contrast material (gadolinium) is usually injected for the scan when MS is suspected, as it reacts to areas of inflammation and will "light up" when a sympton is occuring.

As mentioned, this is considered the best test for diagnosing MS, as abnormal lesions appear on MRIs in over 95% of people with MS. However, 5% of people with MS do not have abnormalities that can be detected on an MRI (producing a false negative), and some age-related damage looks like MS lesions (producing a false positive).

They didnt inject me with anything. :mad:

Today my left arm is sort of burning / stinging but also feels a bit cold. (Has been for a week or so) Some times it appears in little spots and comes and goes. but it feels vague ..... i cant tell if its real or not.

I was injected with it on my last MRI (December) I have another one next week I expect they will do the same again.

cosmic dancer
01-12-08, 02:43
Hey,
For the last 7 days I've had random aches and pains throughout my body. Sometimes I felt like I was going crazy, or about to have a heart attack.. these symptoms started after I had a severe mental breakdown on a Sunday night. I'm going through a very tough phase right now - living alone, far far away from family and boyfriend and friends, going to university.. and I cry practically every day and have begun to be paranoid/claustrophobic and have so far had three panic attacks. I keep googling things on diseases and the causes of these random body aches; but I have no other symptoms like blurred vision or uncontrollable bowel movements. I still want to get an MRI and I hope when I go to the doctor on Friday they won't rule out this option..
It's good to know some people have felt the same way..

x