PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

shortstuff
25-05-08, 16:02
Hi, I was guided here by another forum. Basically, although I used to have panic attacks some years ago, they always had a specific trigger (crowded places i.e. pubs and clubs). I have been panic free for some 15 years until recently.

I've been getting panic attacks loads lately. Sometimes it's two or less per week but other times it's two or more per day!!!!!! They are generally more severe than the ones I used to have. I seem to have a constant tightness in my chest in between attacks too, which only eases after a few days of no attacks. There is usually no particular trigger either but the last few serious ones have left me scared to go into busy places with more than a handful of people. I was at the doctor's two weeks ago for dizziness and stupidly, although I had been having a panic attacks for at least a month, they had not reached 'serious' level and I didn't think to mention it! I mentioned the chest pain as I was convinced it might be something else, but he said heart and lungs were both fine. He suggested it was stress / worry. Other than feeling totally barmy, I accepted the diagnosis and assumed that I would get better. The attacks have become more frequent and more severe.

My symptoms are: tight chest, very short of breath, dizziness, chills, disorientation, palpatations, fear, and sometimes a tingling / numb sensation in my right arm.

All in all, this has been going on for over a month now, and I'm constantly worried about having another 'do' in public. I now don't leave the house unless I absolutely must, refuse to shop in normal hours preferring pre 8am or after 9pm when it's quieter. I don't go out to pubs or the like any more either. It's driving me crazy, and although I know that each panic attack will pass and do me no harm, I am living in fear of the next one! I hope this makes sense.

What can I do to break the cycle? Any advice?

Southern_Belle
25-05-08, 16:10
Hi Shortstuff,

Welcome to the site. Did you do anything at all for the panic attacks 15 years ago? If so, I would try those techniques. Since you have already been to a doctor and are physically well I suggest CBT or any type of counseling that you see fit. There are also things you can do to calm yourself down such as deep breathing, warm baths, calm music, etc. I also would try not to live in the future (easy to say I know) but live in the present. That is why most of us worry as we are living either in the past or future. Take a look around the forum and others may have suggestions too. The menu is on the left hand side of the site.

There are many here who feel exactly how you do and you will find support here.

Many hugs,

Laura

chalky
25-05-08, 16:13
Hi Shortstuff,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

shortstuff
25-05-08, 16:34
Thanks for the welcome - I'm discovering just how informative and helpful this forum is already :).

Laura, I can't for the life of me remember how I managed to overcome the panic attacks in my late teens. I sort of figured I'd grown out of them :unsure:. I'm planning to go back to the doctor's this week as well and see what he can suggest - really wish I'd mentioned the attacks to him when I went last time :blush:

Nic

Southern_Belle
25-05-08, 16:47
Nic,

I understand completely. I always make a list of my symptoms and what I want to say when I go to my doctor's office, might come in handy for you too. I do hope it goes well for you this week. Please keep us informed and good luck.

Hugs again,

Laura

andie73
25-05-08, 16:54
:welcome: Welcome Nic I'm sure you'll find this forum very helpful.

fairycake
25-05-08, 17:19
hello and welcome :)

kellie
25-05-08, 17:46
hiya Nic welcome to nmp, its lovely to have you here. you will get lots of support/advice and make some great friends along the way.

take care.

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

shortstuff
25-05-08, 18:06
Thanks for the great welcome everyone :)

Lindalou64
26-05-08, 12:46
Hello Shortstuff And Welcome....i Wish Ya Well..........linda

Lilith1980
26-05-08, 14:27
Hi Shortstuff

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx

shortstuff
01-06-08, 14:47
A quick update for anyone who was so helpful when I first posted :hugs:
I went to the doctors on Friday - I have panic disorder apparently. As I am already seeing a counsellor for stress, the GP decided to focus on the physical symptoms so prescribed Propranolol (beta blockers). Its early days but the side effects are driving me crazy - dry mouth (to the point that I woke up with my tongue stuck to my teeth this morning); dizziness; shortness of breath; insomnia (worse than usual). I also seem to be MORE anxious at the moment too, and am still having quite a few panic attacks every day - although no longer with strong palpitations which seems odd :wacko:

I know that it will take a couple of weeks before my body is used to the medication so I'm just trying to ride it out for now. I'm getting really angry because I 'have to take tablets to be normal' though, but again, this comes and goes so I'm learning to live with it.

On the other hand, I feel really positive about having finally done something about the state I've got myself into over the last few months.

Thanks once again for all your kind words of support when I joined the forum. I look forward to being able to offer the same support to others :)

NatashaW31
01-06-08, 17:51
hi hun, i'm a newbie too nice to meet you Nat x

milly jones
01-06-08, 19:01
hi short stuff

welcome to the nmp family, glad to meet u

milly xx

Nibbles
01-06-08, 20:43
Hi and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :)