PDA

View Full Version : Hi All

Waltzwime
26-05-08, 14:42
Hiya,

After finding this site and spending a few days having a wee rake about, i thought i'd better say hello.I've been a panic attack sufferer for around 14 years now(wow didnt even realise it had been that long myself) and in general, the past few years have been relatively "panic" free. But as tends to be the way i still have some pretty awful days that do take a bit of getting through.
I find myself trying to find some help with the one sticking point that i do have, which is getting away on holiday.My lovely partner is tormenting me about going abroad this year and the thought of being away from the safety net of home is without doubt terrifying me, which is kinda ironic in a way because i drive HGV's for a living:wacko: .
I decided to pay a visit to my Doctor last week to see if he could suggest something and to my dismay, all he was willing to offer, was a course of his finest Valium.This i feel is not the answer for me, so after a good search on the tinterweb, i found here.Hopefully i can get a bit more advice from the site and be able to do something that i stupidly know i'll love.
Many thanks

Mikey

Southern_Belle
26-05-08, 15:31
Hi Mikey,

Welcome to the site. There are many here who will understand how you feel and will give support. You don't state how you are planning to go on holiday. If it is flying I can relate. I am terrified to fly, yet I manage. We all have our own coping techniques and they vary. Some of us take meds, some don't. Some opt for CBT and other types of counseling. You no doubt know all this as you have been reading around the site.

In my opinion the biggest obstacle is that you really have to want to go and then you decide what type of coping strategy you will plan. I usually take things to divert my attention to what is making me have anxiety. Good luck and I look forward to reading your success story of your trip abroad. I know you can do it!

Hugs,

Laura

smudgie
26-05-08, 16:03
Hi Waltzwime

A big warm :welcome: to the forum so glad you found us. You will find so much info here and meet alot of good people along the way.
Once you feel comfortable why not come into chat, it helps.

Your doctor seems very supportive (not) diazepam is not the answer you need help in other ways. Would it be worth seeing another gp for a second appinon.

Southern belle is so right we all have our own coping techniques but its finding it. It took me years and still find it hard to cope.
I do hope you find some help to help you along life's road which will make life better for you.

Take care
smudgie:hugs:

amandaj
26-05-08, 16:53
hi welcome , theres lots of help on here for you

amanda x

kellie
26-05-08, 17:18
hiya Mikey :welcome: to nmp its lovely to have you here :biggrin: .
you will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way. keep posting about whatever is on your mind and we will do our best to help you.

love and happiness

take care.

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif

chalky
26-05-08, 17:37
Hi Mikey,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Lindalou64
26-05-08, 22:18
Hello Mikey And Welcome.........i Wish Ya Well..........linda

eternally optimistic
26-05-08, 22:21
Hi yah Mikey

I've had that holiday conversation with my other half today.

Know where you are coming from. Let me know if you find the
solution, LOL.

J

aiwahp
27-05-08, 09:57
Welcome to the forum guys,this forum can help to comfort you, you can also earn here a lot of advices here. Stay cool.

trac67
27-05-08, 10:11
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

take care

Trac xx

Lilith1980
27-05-08, 13:47
Hi Mikey

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx

Waltzwime
27-05-08, 14:00
Hiya,

First up, many thanks for the kind welcomes.Havent been this popular since i won a tenner on the lottery.:D
Yes the last conversation with my doctor was less than productive.Seemed he was in a hurry to get his lunch, so another appointment has been made with another doctor with a more open view to anxiety and i'm hoping wont just write a perscription, but will point me in the direction of something to work at the ground level of my problem.
My major fear about the holiday, apart from the melon sellers on the beach, isnt the flight(although if i feel i cant get up and walk out of a situation my anxiety goes through the roof, which could be interesting at 30,000ft and no way out) but more the "what if's??" What if i have an attack??What if my stomach goes?? and so on.
Its been so long since i've been abroad its never been an issue untill now, and i'm afraid to say my partner isnt being too supportive which is making me feel that if i dont go, i'll be letting her down.
I've even came up with some compromises, which involve holidays in UK which i would have no problem with, but her hearts set on foreign climes(Quite fancy Whitley Bay myself).
Suppose i just need to see what this other Doctor suggests and take it from there, although time is running out pretty fast.

Mikey

milly jones
27-05-08, 15:52
hi mikey,

well welcome to the nmp family

hope u find support and like minded ppl here

milly xx