PDA

View Full Version : External ear infection but I am worried I have throat cancer!

countrygirl
26-05-08, 17:28
After 3 days of excrutiating stabbing pain up into left ear on swallowing, yawning or opening my mouth suddenly and general low grade ear ache with evil itiching all the time I saw the out of hours GP today. He put the ear scope in my ear and I nearly hit the ceiling it hurt so much and eveytime he moved it I jumped. He said I had infection in bottom of ear canal and has given me an antibiotic spray.

The Dr spoke very low and mumbled so didn't catch all he said. I asked him how the stabbing pain on swallowing feels as if it starts in throat rathe than ear and he said I think that certain movements use muscle that move ear canal and that because distance from ear to throat is so small difficult to tell where pain actually is or something like that and something about nerves making you feel pain in different place but of course I am still panicking that the pain on swallowing is nothing to do with my ear canal infection.

My mums friend had throat cancer and her only symptom was persistant earache so guess what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am also panicking that the spray won't work.

I am trying to be rational (hoho) and tell myself that if it doens't improve in a few days I will go back to my GP and no doubt would eventually be sent for tests. I am going on holiday to scotland on saturday and don't want to be in so much pain and ruin the holiday. So I am doing the what if its no better by saturday.

I am having a head mri in two weeks and wonder if they check all of your head so would find tumour in my ear or sinuses or top of throat etc???

I so wish I could just accept dr diagnosis and not worry about the what if it doens't get better.

maz67
26-05-08, 17:34
:winks: Hi i had an MRI scan the day before my brain tumour was removed and i think they are very accurate and show up everything.

Hope this eases your mind a little.

Mandy xx:bighug1:

Trixie
26-05-08, 18:57
Me too they found my tumour (mind you it shone up like a beacon in the night) I have an MRI next month to see if it has got any bigger.

So don't worry if there is something there they will find it.:)

Forgot to say my MRI was to see if they could find the cause of my tinnitus.