PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU do?

imported_n/a
17-05-03, 05:21
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I've had anxiety disorder for about 3 years now. I manage to control it through medication for a while, but then it just comes back again.

I'm going through another episode tight now, which is why my partner has researched the web about it. I am very lucky - I have a supporting and loving partner though he doesn't "indulge" me, he helps me, every which way he can.

Recently, I went to work and was physically ill after about 3 hours. Then I came home - and I haven't left home since. Not even to go to the doctor. I keep putting it off until the very last possible moment.

I get a cold feeling in the middle of my chest and unless I take a tablet, I cannot relax, no matter how I try. I've already been to hospital twice in the middle of the night (several months ago) feeling certain that I was having a heart attach. But I've had test after test, and all is well.

Except... it isn't.

Have you experienced this 'thing'? If so, how do you cope? Please - I need help.

Thank you.

Jo
17-05-03, 18:17
Hi dayglimmer - sorry to hear about your troubles! I suffer with panic attacks and I at times feel like I am having a heart attack also! It has taken me a long time to accept that I am actually having a panic attack, and not something more sinister, like a heart attack.

When I have a panic attack, I reasure myself by saying, "you will be ok", "this has happened before and you survived", "breath in and out", things of this nature.

It has also helped me to know that I am not alone... that actually quite a lot of people suffer from anxiety related problems!

Have you thought about conselling? I haven't yet, although I do intend to go to an anxiety management programme soon. Maybe you should consider similar?

Dayglimmer, you are not alone! Feel free to e mail!!

Jo (number 1) xx

Rachel
21-05-03, 22:46
I too have had terrible pains in heart / chest area. Stabbing pains in the middle of my chest. I had this really bad about a month ago - straight away I got up and went for a walk, as soon as I got up and new that I was going for a walk I was ok and it stopped - so exercise helps. Good Luck. xxx

bruce
08-06-03, 01:24
Hi

Try to repost this message stating what anxiety disorder you are suffering from and what medication you are on as that will better direct people to give you a lasting response.

I have actually suffered sympoms of just about every kind of anxiety you can imagine although panic disorder seems to be the most logical for me and klonopin/ clonezepam has helped in conjuntion with cognitive behavioral therapy.

If you know that what you are getting is panic attacks then you are automatically half way to being cured, with me i felt as though i had a physical problem due to my drug use (street drugs not meds) and was terrified about what a so called "panic attack" might really be the result of.

It is so cool that you have a partner who cares, i had somewhat supportive parents and a good therapist and a few friends that i could kinda confide in but i havent been with any real partners since this sort of stuff started to happen, i mean i have had sexual relations but no real healthy sexual relationships or new personal lasting relationships with the opposite sex from which to benefit from.

You're too lucky! Anyway i got blood work done and some neurological tests and nothing came up, so now i drink water all the time and i ate right, took vitamins for a little while (be careful to never overdose on them, usually one multivitamin daily is a good idea).

Also perhaps look into the possibility of the agoraphobic who is scared to leave their home as to give up their security blanket, i have suffered tremendously from this. also you might have trouble with procrastination or putting things off, these guesses are hypothetical of course.

Actually going to various doctor who ran tests and told me everything was fine helped me to feel better, it allowed me to cross out various health issues so i would suggest not putting this off. hope you benefit from this, remember panic is a temporary situation, cannot hurt you, you wont pass out or die ever (although it is damn exhausting and aggravating).

In your case, since this sort of thing is episodic i would assume that it is not the result of something that is eating away at you from your past, rather it is the result of current things in your life, like a bunch of things currently going on that when you get to the bottom of perhaps that ends the panic until the next set of life issues come about.

If you are clueless as to what i mean try to think about what changed that resulted in your feeling better over the past when you suffered episodic panic attacks. then look at what the deal is in your life now. if you have a disorder this might not be applicable and it may be off point but you get "episodic panic" my thoughts as to why when you fix the current problems in your life, this panic will disappear.

Hope this will be of benefit to you, bruce

i am here as a result of my continuing efforts to lead an anxiety free life