PDA

View Full Version : help please!!

ben0
27-05-08, 12:35
hi, im 22 and i've been suffering from panic attacks over the past 3 months and its really messed with my life. Im a university student and my first attack occured just as i got into my car on the way to a mid term test, my heart started racing and i had trouble catching my breath. It lasted for around 10 minutes and it might sound silly but i thought at the time that i was having some kind of heart attack and that i was going to die. I immediately ran back into my house and tried to calm down which took all of half an hour by which time i had missed over half of the exam. It happened again before another test in the same circumstances as the first. I ended up going to the doctor after it happened for the second time and he refered me to our universitys counselling service however i find it hard to talk about my problems, face to face at least so i was hoping that there would be somone on these forums or on this site that could help me deal with the attacks.

Thanks
Ben

Mervyn
27-05-08, 14:02
Hi Ben,

I went through a period of sever panic attacks for about 8 months whe I was 35. I tried many different methods to help me cope and the one method that I found really worked was based on the teachings of Dr Claire weekes. Bascially she says that although extreme stress can cause panic attacks often the stressors have gone and we keep ourselves stresed because we are afraid of the feelings -its the tension we create when the panic waves come that causes the panic to get bigger and bigger. When I learnt to stop resisting/fighting the feelings and just let them come - things began to change !. It's not an instant cure could take 3 or 4 months for things to return to normal but the method works.

Please see the webiste below for some mp3 downloads of the method as used by a another panic attack sufferer:
http://www.controllinganxiety.com

Best wishes

Kate408
27-05-08, 14:12
Hi Ben,

I'm 23 and graduated from uni almost 3 years ago now. (scary!)
Anyway, I saw the university counsellors when I was at uni, and I have to say, they weren't much good. I think you'll be better off with sites like this, and trying to find the right route for you. Maybe it will be Claire Weekes' way, maybe not. We all have different ways of coping and/or getting better. Try not to get discouraged if you don't feel immediate effects, but do keep an eye out for getting worse. If you start to get worse, I would recommend a visit back to the doctor as quickly as possible. I know that I wish I had gone to them earlier!
Just out of curioisity, what are you studying?
xxx

Insomniac
27-05-08, 17:30
Hi Ben

I was lucky with my doctor as she listens really well and knows about anxiety and depression. I had counselling through my GP surgery. Its not easy talking about your emotions (I suppose if I found it easier I would not be where I am now! lol), but its worth it in the end.

The self help section here at NMP helped me immensely. I read about the effects of adrenaline on your body. Your mind's misguided impression that you are under threat releases adrenaline and causes lots of other symptoms including the tight chest and palpitations. Then of course there's the "what ifs" when we worry about what if it happens again when I'm in a similar situation. Been there done that got the t shirt!!

Seriously though, this site has been a huge support. There's usually someone around to read your messages, and evening there are more folk in the chatroom. Just knowing more about the anxiety helped me, and realising that the breathing exercises really do help ease symptoms and so make me feel more in control was a good feeling.

Hope you do feel better soon. If you don't get on with one counsellor, try another if you can. There are usually waiting lists if you go through your doctor, but its worthwhile Meantime, hang around here at NMP and read the self help pages when you can. Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=coping

ben0
29-05-08, 18:47
Hi guys, thanks alot for you replies, its really nice and reassuring to know that theres others that have experienced similar things. Im studying philosophy at the moment Kate. Im working my way through the self help section of the site so hopefully it can provide me with some good coping strategies.

Thanks
Ben

milly jones
29-05-08, 19:41
hi ben,

counselling can be terrible at first. i have done several kinds but the first was the worse.

i see it in three distinct phases

1. the scarey phase when i are totally paranoid about letting someone else in and would avoid every visit if u could. emotionally draining or what!

2. the dependant phase when u really begin to trust the counsellor and u look forward to unloading thoughts in the sessions

3. the friendly wind down stage when u realise that u have the answers inside u and that the counsellor is not necessary to move forward.

i have also done both 1-1 and group cbt therapy which again is scarey.

three years down the line and in a relapse im not finding that sessions are much less painful and more thought provoking. sort of got used to spilling my guts out to complete strangers.

please persevere with the sessions they have helped me

milly x

Kate408
31-05-08, 11:09
Wow!! Philosophy....that sounds hard!!!
I did Maths (nice easy subject :) )
Hope things get better for you and you find the self help section really helpful.
xxxx

orangeblossom
31-05-08, 20:39
Hi Ben,

I can completely empathise with you - I had my first panic attacks before I got to university, but they stayed with me throughout my time there. Some times I was absolutely fine and doing regular 'studenty' stuff, other times I found myself holed up in my room unable to even go to the shared kitchen, nevermind the library - bit of a difficulty as I am a history student!

I'm not sure which university you do go to, but mine, UCL, has a very useful student support forum, and you might be able to contact either your Counselling Service or your Disability Support Service at university to find out if there is something similar.

I would wholeheartedly recommend contacting your GP and your Disability Service as they can put in a whole host of useful services for you - eg, allowing a friend or someone else to get library books to you, sitting exams by yourself with a supervisor, getting notes for any lectures or classes you are unable to attend, etc.

I had no idea these were even available until the final year of my BA, but they were implemented quickly and were useful throughout my MA and even now during my PhD. I honestly don't think I could have got through all of that without their help - and supportive friends.

Going through this site is fantastic - wish I had discovered it earlier! - but perhaps your GP could get you in touch with a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist. I found this considerably more useful than the more usual counselling available.

A book I also found quite useful was "Triumph Over Fear" by Jerilyn Ross. It's not too expensive and you can get it from Amazon.

Do not hesitate to get in touch if you need anyone to empathise with! I can honestly say I know exactly what it is like!