PDA

View Full Version : The Dentist Thread

Gregor
27-05-08, 13:15
Hi,

In light of my recent dental experience (and many forthcoming appointments!), I thought i would share with everyone things which make me more comfortable during these sessions. I know a lot of people have problems going to the dentist - both anxiety sufferers and dental anxiety, so this is a progressive list, which i will update as i think of new ideas. Also, please feel free to add your own coping methods here.

1. Most important!! Find a dentist who you are comfortable with and who fully understands your problems.

2. Explain, in detail if you have to, your problems with anxiety and make sure he understands before he/she starts any work.

3. You don't have to have the treatment done on the first trip, so go and get a feel for the place. Sit in the chair, talk to the dentist, let him/her just look at your teeth. Make an appointment to come again in you need to. Never be pressured into getting it all done there and then.

4. If having an injection, you can ask for one which is adrenalin-free. Apparently, adrenalin can induce your anxiety, so ask your dentist about that.

5. After having the injection, don't proceed with the treatment until you are convinced your mouth is numb and are comfortable to continue.

6. Make it clear to your dentist if you would like to stop at any point during the treatment to take a break.

7. If you have anyone who can accompany you into the treatment room - a friend, spouse, family, etc - that could help. I have my wife with me, holding my hand throughout and i think on that which helps a lot.

8. I am learning to recognise when i am tensing my body during the treatment. When i feel this happening, i consciously relax myself. The tenser you are, the more anxiety you will likely feel.

9. When rising from the chair, do so slowly and easily. I find this in case i induce an unnecessary head-rush or anything, which could cause panic. Maybe a point-less thing, but, for me, i feel better to do this - not taking any chances.

Well, that's my list for now. If you can add anything to this list, please do so. I have more dental appointments coming up, so if i notice anything else that i do, i will add here too.

Gregor

Gregor
02-06-08, 03:00
no replies to this one then! and there i was thinking many of you have problems witht the dentist!

I've been back for another appointment and had a filling.

Remember, if i can do it, then you can too!

xBettyBoopx
02-06-08, 04:34
Hi Gregor

Maybe ppl aren't as bad as you think! Or maybe, like me, they avoided reading your post because fear rears it's ugly head just at the thought of the dentist!

I wish I could go, my teeth are so bad, cracked & broken, but I can't get out of the flat, let alone go to the dentist. But good of you to put all your tips for everyone.

Elspeth

ladygrom
02-06-08, 09:19
hi i got big fear bout dentists and like elspeth said ppl have probly avoided your post even the word dentist puts the fear in some ppl .id like to say well dn to you for having a filling don thats big step for someone who hates dentists .and thanks for your tips on how to cope realy helpful tc xxx

shinney
14-06-08, 12:36
Hi gregor.

Thank you for the great tips, am going to use then as i have to go very soon. Will put your ideas in to practice.

thank you

popsy
16-06-08, 10:02
This is a great post Gregor. :yesyes:
I didnt know about the injection and adrenalin thing, i will defo ask for one without next time!!!! - thats a very important point for us NON adrenaline seeking junkies!!!!
I am avoiding going to the dentist at present because i need a tooth out but while its not hurting im pretending its okay really, had antibiotics for an absyss which was behinD it a couple of months ago and it sorted the pain out. Until it hurts again i know i wont go back, because pain is the only thing that gets me there!!! Its the feeling of being completely trapped there and feeling like i cant breathe or im going to choke thats the worse thing about it for me, eugh even typing this makes me feel anxious!!!!
Thanks for tips though, i will defo use them when i am next made to go.
Popsy x x x x