PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobic and about to start regression Hypnosis - does it work?

maeanna
28-05-08, 11:11
Hi,
I have had Emetophobia for 25 years now since i was 3 and am getting worse by the month. I have seen a psychologist,had CBT and been prescribed several types of anti depressants which i have refused to take because of the side effects. The only time I have been better was last year for a month when my gp prescribed valium but then refused to give me anymore as they are too addictive. I am about to start regression hypnosis with a guy who apparantly treats 3-4 emetophobes a day and apparantly has a very good success rate. I am a little bit cautious so was wondering if anyone had been successfully treated using this therapy. I am really hoping its going to work as i feel its my last resort and have spent so much money on trying to stop this phobia without success. I was also wondering if anyone else notices their phobia gets worse during certain times of the month/year? Its weird coz cant work out why this is!!! :)

maeanna
28-05-08, 23:33
oh and was just wondering if any emetophobes also took daily anti emetics? I find i daily have to take motilium 10,travel calm tablets and codeine(in case i get stomach pains). and am really worried its doing me some harm. :o(

franfhm
29-05-08, 21:04
I take motilium 10mg whenever I need to. I used to take stemetil but my doctor was worried about the long term effects. I don't take them every day just when I start feeling sick

maeanna
29-05-08, 22:05
Hi Franfhm,
I use to be prescribed stemetil but my gp took me off them. so i take motilium10 3 times a day plus the rest! i have told my gp what i take and why but he just said "mmm" and told me to join a gym! which would be great but i cant get myself on the bus to get there!!! :o) Thanks for ur post!

jasmin45
01-06-08, 19:52
Hey what are anti emits? Anti sickness? I take omeprazone. that's supposed to stop your gut producing acid which in turn stops you feeling sick. I find that it works but im pretty sure it has bad long term effects. DONT TAKE CYCLIZINE its awful I felt like I was about to die!! Try gaviscon! That stuff is surprisingly good for a quick solution!

Jazz <3

jasmin45
01-06-08, 20:43
wait im lying its called omeprazole aha sorry

maeanna
03-06-08, 19:15
Thanks for your post Jazz. I have had Omeprazole in the past which worked well but my gp is loathed to re prescribe it! urghh!
p.s(yeah anti emetics are anti sickness!) :o)

Owecuk
08-06-08, 11:31
Hi Maeanna

I suffered with emetaphobia for 21 years and my last resort was traveling nearly 200 miles every week to see a well know hypnotherapist in South End because after just one email correspondance with him I just knew he was the man who was going to help me. Like you I'd tried so many other therapys and drugs and nothing worked. This did! He changed my life. I can do things now I would never have dreamed of doing before. I don't come out in a cold sweat n start panicing just because I hear someone coughing, i try new foods without worriying they are going to make me sick. I dont worry on an hourly basis that sometime during the next hour I might start feeling sick. The only time I still have panic attacks is when i actuallyu do feel sick. Everything inbetween is fine. Have faith that this is going to work for you and it's more likely to!! Good luck. X

maeanna
10-06-08, 10:47
wow! Thanks Owecuk.Im pleased it worked so well for u! Its brilliant to have a positive message just before I go see my hypnotherapist,i was kinda nervous but am more positive its gonna work for me now. Will keep everyone posted on how i get on! :yesyes:

kate77
12-09-08, 23:55
It wasnt until recently that I knew I had emetaphobia, I thought I was really abnormal but did not realise this is a very common phobia. I have a fear of being sick in situations where I cant escape, i.e public transport, meetings, shopping centres etc. It started when I was at university, in the end I would either sit at the front of the lecture hall and eventually start skipping them all together. I spent years not know what was wrong, I then found a really good therapist offering CBT, i found this really helpful and it gave me the skills to manage these awful feelings in difficult situations, I found it really useful on the ocassion I had to be a bridesmaid for my sister in' law and standing in a church not being able to escape!!

Although CBT was good, it does not take away the feelings you get just helps you manage them. A couple of months ago I decided to try analytical hypnotherapy, where they help find the 'root' cause of the situation, I am on session 7 and feel heaps better than I did a few months ago, myself and my therapist think we may know what has caused this 'feeling'... i will keep you posted.

I sympathise with any sufferer, it is difficult not to let it take over your life, but there is help and I would definitely recommend analytical hypnotherapy to anyone, just make sure you get a good reputable therapist.

its all good
13-09-08, 00:15
Hey maeanna, have never noticed if my phobia gets worse at certain times of the month, i just know i am on constant alert for the mere mention or sight of sum1 gettin ill and possibly bein sick! I just wanted to say good luck with ur treatment and i hope it all goes well:) . I will luk forward to hearing how it goes 4 u. Maybe u will be free of this blasted phobia before u know it xx