PDA

View Full Version : ***Not sure what to do - advice?***

megan769
28-05-08, 13:46
Hi, I'm fairly new here.
For the past 6 months or so I've been dealing with problems with panic attacks and anxiety. I have my ups and downs but in general, the problems are gradually getting worse.
I see a councellor every other week, but to be honest, I can't really see it working for me. I can't plan anything as I never know how I will be from one day to the next. Sometimes I can be 'fine' so to speak for 4 or 5 days in a row, other times I can have 4 or 5 days where I just can't bear being around people - I just want to be in my room by myself.
Tomorrow I have a doctor's appointment and am going to ask about medication. I feel I really do need it as I have had to take days off work because of my illness, and have had days where I have completely broken down at work - big panic attack followed by crying/shaking/not being able to concentrate on anything and just having to get home as quickly as possible before I can start to relax. I like my job and the people there are lovely - I really don't want to end up losing it or having to quit because of a silly illness controlling my life. I also want to be able to go out and enjoy myself at the weekends instead of doing what I usually do - staying at home not doing a lot!!
Does anyone else share similar experiences? Would love to hear from people.
xxx Megan xxx

EmilyJane
28-05-08, 14:02
I find that I have problems when I am out. I started to find excuses not to go out. My GP put me on efexor xr and half inderal (beta blockers) to help ease the anxiety and stop the adrenalin rushes. I also practise breathing techniques and always carry a paper bag to breathe into, just in case. I think it's the fear of wondering if I will panic that increases my anxiety, so I try not to think about anything planned until I have to.
Also, I am aware of my breathing if I feel my chest tightening or find my thoughts becoming anxious and I try to concentrate on something else and keep my breathing nice and steady. That helps me too.
I don't know if this is of any help. I hope So.
Emi

Insomniac
28-05-08, 14:59
HI Megan

I went through a similar dilemma. I took St John's Wort for a while, but now I'm on seroxat. I was concerned about the bad press for seroxat, but I was at a stage where I felt I needed some help.

The seroxat helped me be more receptive to my counselling sessions and gave me breathing room to learn techniques to help me when I am having a bad day. I think I am now more in control. Before when I was panicky I couldnt think clearly enough to practice new things which would help.

I am trying to reduce the seroxat now, though withdrawal symptoms are similar to panic. Though I still feel it was right and has helped me. If I had any other illness which didnt get better I would seek help, so taking meds isnt all bad. Its not a solution, you need to practice and find the tools to help you, but meds can give you breathing room.

Like Emi, I also took beta blockers for a while. My doc said they would help with the palpitations which are my first main symptom and set me off into feeling anxious then panicky. So stopping that symptom really helped.

Also I bought a Paul McKenna CD about confidence and relaxation. The relaxation part at the beginning is good and I listen at night on my MP3. The confidence part helps my belief in my ability to beat this thing! I'm not free of panic, but when I steer clear of chocolate(!) and stay off caffeine etc I feel much better and can work and do most "normal" things.

Hope this helps. :yesyes:

lukgem
28-05-08, 15:59
im new to this to but read your post with great interest as i could have written it myself,thats not easy to say as a man as we are supposed to be able to cope with whatever is thrown at us,i think you are a decent person who is in touch with their humanity,that is not a crime!i'll bet you are way above average intelligence,artistic and articulate,am i right?yes.you can learn to manage your anxiety i promise you.we human beings are not biologically programmed to cope with todays harsh realities and you being a sensitive person find it hard to cope(like me),unlike the many ignorant people who confuse ignorance with strength.you are not being silly megan!
please consider that taking prescribed medicines are not always a good idea as they often can become addictive and cause more anxiety.
im not religious but im sending a prayer out into the ether for you and i hope the higher intelligence receives it and sends you the strength i know you have inside you,
you are a force for good in this world megan,remember that,
lukgem.

juanna
28-05-08, 16:57
:) Hi Megan
There's nothing silly about being anxious & a lot of people on here suffer from it including me. I take medication but still have up & down days. Cognitive behavioural therapy is supposed to be good; although i haven't had any yet, but i plan to. There is a website called moodgym ; don't know the actual website address; but if you type mood gym in it'll come up...
Hope that helps... Juanna

MommyKC
29-05-08, 08:49
I am the same way i am going on a 5 day streatch of "good days" i am still anxious and nervouse but if i do not panic then its a good day. i find the healither i eat the better my day is. also the less sugar the better the day. it isnt so silly the feelings are very real. talk to your doc, do what is best for you. if you take the meds just remember they will not work right away and you could have side effects, in my case with zoloft, my side effects were worse than the panic attacks so i quit taking them. but everybody is different hopefully you will find something that works for you

samc100
29-05-08, 09:54
Hi Megan - lots of hugs but glad you posted. It is so lonely but you are certainl not alone.

I was similiar when I 'crashed'. I refused to take meds and sought alternative methods but I was getting worse and worse. I would go to work and shake and not be able to concentrate - I would think the carpet tiles were coming in waves to swallow me up ( I know that is barmy - but that's what was happening!!)

I was fighting to stop the attacks and anxiety but my body was crying out for me to stop fighting. My body was physically shattered but my mind was on over-drive

After an horrendous attack ( I hide behind the settee for an afternoon cos' I really thought I would fall out of out of the window) and a very lovely and honest chat with a Dr I agreed to give the meds a go. I had a great Dr who monitored me closely because I was very honest about how negative I felt about taking meds.

The meds gave my body the opportunity to repair itself. I had some side effects for the first 10 days but certainly not worse than my attacks. I hit rock bottom but once I stopped trying so very hard to get better and accepted the attacks I did improve gradually. And I could develop coping strategies to help me. I still see my councellor and now find it beneficial - before I think I was fighting against her...

I did have to take 6 weeks off work - but from reading your post I think you might be smarter than me and asking for help at an earlier stage !

I did hide from society but I was honest with a few good friends who were very supportive and allowed me to be distant when I wanted to be distant and didn't judge me when I would appear wanting to be social.

It's tough but that was 2 Summers ago. I have 'moments' but I am not on the meds currently and I have learnt alot about myself and others on the journey in getting better. So don't feel you'll be like this forever cos' you won't. It just takes time and finding what works for you xxxxxx

megan769
29-05-08, 15:58
Aww thanks for all the replies guys. Went to the Docs and am now on beta-blockers for the time being, going back in 12 days time to see the same lady to talk about how I'm getting on. Hopefully these will help me as I am back at work on Monday and don't want this to get any worse!!