PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia and work

bluedaisy
28-05-08, 17:49
First, a bit of a rant...

I've just been offered some consultancy work from an organisation I used to work for, and I'm in the process of sorting it out within the terms and conditions of claiming Incapacity Benefit. Unfortunately, as well as the panic, dizziness and associated problems of my agoraphobia that limit how much work I can take on, I've now been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. I've been really struggling to use my computer (yep, I shouldn't be typing this now) and wanted to see if I could get help from anyone to buy voice recognition software and an ergonomic mouse/keyboard etc. I've just spoken to someone re: the Acess to Work fund, but I've been told that I don't qualify as my work will not result in me coming off benefit (it's a short term piece of work - maybe six months maximum).

While looking through the DWP website I found contact details for an organisation supporting people with disabilities to get/keep jobs. I phoned them, asked if they supported housebound people to obtain work, and was told they don't because they require people to attend their centre in order to access support. They didn't know of any other agencies that might be able to hep me.

I feel really angry about this. It seems that as an agoraphobic person I don't qualify for any help because the 'intention' to return to work isn't there (words of Access to Work advisor). I know that if given a chance I can work well from home (although not full time). Being agoraphobic hasn't wiped out my capacity for rational thought, or destroyed my ability to conduct research, produce reports or write training materials - all activities that I used to get paid to do.

So, this has started me wondering if anyone else with agoraphobia, actually housebound with it, manages to work?

I phoned an advisor at the local job centre to ask if they ever have 'work from home' vacancies and was told they don't. And yet I have read in several newspaper articles that the proportion of the workforce working from home is increasing. Today I feel as though I've been consigned to the job market scrap heap forever..

Dr Kong, AKA Wayne
28-05-08, 18:38
Hi,
I am agraphobic and I can't work, I started a job driving for a courier company and I just couldnt hack it. Lasted less than 2 Weeks!

Strange you say about carpel tunnel, I have been diagnosed with that too a while ago, I used to be a marble and granite mason and heavy lifting has basicly screwed my hands up, my career is down the drain at the moment, being anxious I am shite scared of operation.
I am also an alcoholic and going into hospital soon so the carpel tunnel has taken a back seat at the moment.
That will need to be addressed when I am better.

Take Care,

Wayne

bluedaisy
29-05-08, 13:10
Hi Wayne,

Like you I am terrified at the thought of a carpal tunnel operation. I'm waiting for a hospital referral but in the mean time I'm going to explore all the non surgical options - have just shelled out £70 on an ergonomic mouse to help my computer use. Having done some research into carpal tunnel, it certainly seems that it can be effectively dealt with for some people without the need for the operation. Maybe we'll be lucky and find other ways to reduce symptoms.

Good luck with your hospital treatment.

Dr Kong, AKA Wayne
29-05-08, 13:18
Thanks for your message,
When I first got the symptoms for carpal tunnel, it was agony, I would wake up about 2-3 in the Morning and had to get out of bed and the pain would ease.
Lately I am not in discomfort as such, maybe its the alcohol blocking it out a bit, I don't know.
The guy who I am seeing about my detox said about the operation is done while under local thing (sorry cant think of the word, my memory is not great at the moment) he said that you would talk about the weather and before you know it, it's all done.
But.......when you are anxiuos, thats no comfort is it!? LOL

I just hope and pray that I dont need the operation.

Good luck to you too.

Take care,

Wayne