PDA

View Full Version : I've finally joined..

ladybird64
28-05-08, 21:03
Hi everyone.

I know that loooong introductions can be off-putting to read so this is the short version.:)
I have agoraphobia (didn't realise that's what it was until last year) and had a very useful course of CBT with a therapist from March-Dec 2007. The therapist was great, with her help and some dogged determination I managed to accomplish most of the things that I had swore blind that I would never be able to do, cross a bridge, wait for a train ON the platform,( not hiding halfway up the stairs) and a few other things.
I do believe that CBT was the right path for me and that if I continued to put in the "work" that I needed to do (exposure, exposure..) I would continue to improve.
Since December, due to personal circumstances, I haven't been able to put in the time and effort that is needed and I know for sure I'm back on the slippery slope to where I started.:weep:
It isn't as bad as it was at the beginning of last year but I know if I don't tackle it, it soon will be and I desperately don't want to have to go through that again..I don't know if I have the strength.
I know what I have to do but I just can't do it on my own..I'm really hoping that you kind people here can provide me with the support and encouragement I need to get back out there.:)
I know that I also have anxiety issues as well but these are fuelled by personal problems that I can't change so I am trying to deal with the one thing I know I can change..with your support... I hope!

Patty
29-05-08, 00:18
Hi Ladybird64,

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much help & information here. All the best xx :bighug1:

DeniseB
29-05-08, 00:29
Hey lady:)

Glad you finally joined!!:hugs:

Keep at it - you may find progress slower when its down to you and you don't have some one to report back to! Give your feedback to your Dr or CBT team that this is not a short fix! It needs ongoing support:huh:

Welcome:welcome:

Denise x

Southern_Belle
29-05-08, 13:23
Hi Ladybird,

Welcome to the site. Many here understand how you feel and you will get support.

Many hugs,

Laura

Pink Panic
29-05-08, 13:55
Hi Ladybird and Welcome :hugs:

Love
Pink
xxx

ladybird64
29-05-08, 14:37
Thanks for the warm welcome ladies. :)

Denise, my CBT sessions finished completely in December so I haven't got anybody to give feedback to!
The locum doctor that made the initial referral for me left ages ago, I now have a new GP (permanent) but I don't think he would be much help somehow, I don't think he has much interest in the "psychological" side of things. Although I could be wrong..
I have approached him recently for some general support, we have a daughter with a rare syndrome as well as other health problems in the family but I left with the distinct impression that that they could only help with the medical side of things..not very encouraging.:weep:
I'm still finding my way around the forum (lots to take in!) so I may post my questions in another section, maybe the "phobias" one? Oh well, if I post in the wrong place I'm sure that someone will redirect me!

Thanks again. :yesyes:

Lindalou64
29-05-08, 18:56
Hello Ladybird64 And Welcome...i Wish Ya Well.......linda

milly jones
29-05-08, 19:17
well welcome to nmp

its good to meet new members

glad the cbt helped

milly x

chalky
29-05-08, 21:42
Hi Ladybird,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.

Best wishes,
Chalky

Lilith1980
30-05-08, 07:06
Hi Ladybird

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx

kellie
30-05-08, 20:18
Hiya Ladybird :welcome: to nmp its lovely to have you here :biggrin: . You will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way.
Take a good look around the site and keep posting about whatever is on your mind and we will help as much as we can.

take care :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kellie.xxxxxxxxx

DeniseB
31-05-08, 01:27
Hi L x

If you have a child with a condition ask and look into support groups for families in the same postion. There may be a group of parents with children with the same condition that could offer help and support x

If you also emphasises this to your GP they may be able to offer additional help due to the added stress x

Hope all goes well:hugs: - do not be afraid to keep pushing for the support you need x

Denise:)

Nibbles
01-06-08, 20:40
Hi and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :)