PDA

View Full Version : Constant Nausea

sadie
23-11-03, 23:07
Hi all,

Just want to know if anyone else experiences constant nausea with their panic attacks because I do. I feel awful when this happens, so much so I need to lie down. I've felt panicky all weekend and therefore I have felt sick all weekend. Is nausea a symptom of panic attacks and anxiety or do I have something else wrong with me? What actually causes it and what can I take to make me feel better? I know I'm asking so many questions but I am at my wits end with this. Please help..

sadie

Meg
24-11-03, 00:02
Dear Sadie,

As with all things anxiety , lying down and giving yourself time to contemplate how you feel only gives it more power..

I feel that I am being really horrid and must sound really mean and cold by answering some of these questions by saying get up, do something else and go about your daily life and try to ignore it as best as possible.

Sadie, I wish I could tell you how many times I drove up and down our motorways literally being sick, crying and often stopping on the hard shoulder - feeling so nauseous and so wanting to go home and curl up..

But bit by bit the sickness stopped , then the nausea calmed and stopped , then the churning lessened and stopped ..

I found that if I could calm the churning quick enough, I didn't get nauseous, if I didn't make that but got to the nausea I didn't get sick etc.

I finally figured it out. I drank gallons of tonic water - the fizz helped disperse by burping, the air I was swallowing that made me feel nauseous. I'm sure fizzy water may do the same but tonic water was what I craved so I gave in on that one... Shame I couldn't have the gin too.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
24-11-03, 00:57
hi sadie,

sorry your having a bad weekend,as youve been quite chirpy lately.

i dont have megs experience,so my advice is from a friend,who wishes you well.

firstly,try an ant-acid,this should also make you burp,eat dried food..ie,make some toast,leave it to cool,and harden,and go crispy...crunch up,and eat slowly..if your hungry,make some scrambled eggs,good for settling the tummy...and a little tip..if you buy lemonade,and its gone flat,dont throw it away,keep the cap on,and even weeks later,its great to drink for nausea.

hope you sleep well,and feel better tomorrow..bryan.

sadie
24-11-03, 20:45
Hi Meg & Bryan,

Bryan, I have been feeling quite positive lately but maybe that was the Venlafaxine working its magic on me!! Now that I am trying to stop taking it I think the old feelings are coming back again. I do want to try and cope without them though as one day I will have to, I cant take pills for the rest of my days!

I did have a few vodkas over the weekend, so that probably has been a cause of these anxious feelings, but I am slowly understanding what causes my attacks i.e. negative thinking, caffenine, hyperventalting..... In fact, right now I am eating a chocolate buscuit and drinking a cup of tea!! When will I ever learn.

Meg, Thanks again for the advice. I know you are right about not lying down because I know I need to just get on with things and not let the symptoms get the better of me. I will try harder..

Thanks again

sadie

Meg
24-11-03, 21:24
Sadie,

It's about small gains and steps- you don't have to do it all in one day.

I remember days when I gave in and went to a neighbours or a friend for company for as long as I needed to.

I was always better with company- anyone would have done.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lottie32
25-11-03, 09:58
Dear Sadie

I too suffer constant nausea quite often when I'm feeling anxious. Obviously the first thing to do is try and stop yourself getting into an anxious state, but if I am feeling a bit anxious, and the nausea kicks in, then I get more anxious, so I feel more nauseaous ......

So -
I try the following cures for my nausea. I'm not sure if they work or not, but mentally they do, so therefore I am able to force myself to do more, so my anxiety subsides so I don't feel so sick, so I can relax more, so my nausea fades .....

1. Try and eat little and often, this gives the stomach acid something to "do"
2. Eat healthily - if you need to go to the loo for example, but are constipated, it can make you feel sick.
3. Drink plenty of water
4. Take some exercise
5. Try to "do something". Harsh though it can sound, Meg is right, lying around only makes things worse!

The following suggestions are based on what helps me, but if I'm feeling nauseaous I take/eat the following:

1. Nibble on a biscuit - digestives or ginger nuts are good. The digestive gives the stomach acid something work on, and ginger is very good for settling the stomach. (They now do lemon and ginger digestives too, which are really yummy)
2. If you are feeling sick, and can't face food, you must force yourself to eat something. Try bland foodstuffs - toast, jacket potato, boiled rice, scrambled eggs. These are filling and easy to digest. I also keep frozen breaded fish fillets (the real fish, not the re-formed stuff) in the freezer, and have one of these with some boiled or mashed potatoes.
3. Motilium 10 - this is available from the chemist over the counter, and relieves nausea and that horrible bloated feeling. I only take it when I feel bad though - NOT 3 a day as recommended.
4. Charcoal tablets from the health food shop. These relieve nausea, dispepsia, heartburn, indigestion and diarrohea. (WARNING - they can make things a "bit slow" the next day, so don't over do them, and they can turn your motions black, which is very disturbing if you aren't expecting it!!! Imagine - I stopped feeling sick, then immediately the next day convinced myself I was bleeding badly, so I must have bowel cancer!)
4. Sip peppermint tea, or ginger tea (if you can bear them. I love them, but they aren't to everybodies taste)
5. Suck a mint imperial or something else minty.
6. Stop or reduce smoking, avoid fatty and fried foods, and avoid too much alcohol. I can't drink wine any more. If you fancy a drink but feel a bit nauseaous gin and tonic or vodka with a splash of lime and filled up with soda are both good.

I hope that some of these suggestions work for you! They don't always cure the feeling totally, but they make it better, so I can go out!

Charlie x

Charlie

sadie
26-11-03, 21:14
Thanks Charlie

I do try and force myself to eat even when I feel nauseous because I dont want to put my body under anymore stress than it is already under. I will however try some of your suggestions... although I'm not too sure about the charcoal tablets, although if they help then their worth a try!!

Thanks for your help.

sadie

Lottie32
27-11-03, 09:47
Sadie

Charcoal tablets are used in hospitals up and down the land (and by vets too - our foal had the squits for the first three months of her life, and she was on charcoal to calm it down).

Not sure if thats reassuring or not. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is its not pulped shell of the wedge wedge snail from outer Peru, but a recognised treatment.

Good luck, and I hope you find something that works for you!

Charlie

vic123
14-07-08, 15:39
Sadie,

I know exactly how u feel, i have had panick attacks for about a month now, and with it came the nausea, i am on propranolol for the panick but this hasnt taken away the nausea, i feel constantly sick every minute of the day and its even effecting my work now, i dont know if u are physically sick, i have been sick everyday for 3 and a half weeks now and am also at my wits end with this. The only things that help me when i am in a situation i cannot just lie down in (like meetings) is to have a mint to suck on or play with your hair (as silly as it sounds) having a drink makes me throw up so thats not always a good idea. I am now on domperidone for the sickness but this isnt helping me im still sick everyday and am currently unable to go to work because of it, i dont know what else i can do can anyone suggest any other tablets for this??

x