PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

Beckie0203
29-05-08, 10:37
ive been suffering with health anxiety for 8 years now, but when i got pregnant with my little girl it went. For the first time in god knows how long i could relax and didnt have to spend everyday battling with all the thoughts in my head. Shes now 6 weeks old and it has come flooding back, after not having it for 9 months i dont no hope to cope. i just wondered if this happened to anyone else? Im determind to get rid of this anxiety now i no it can be done. But i need advice on how to go about this. As doctors will only offer anti depressants!

Thanksx

Sax
29-05-08, 10:56
:hugs: Hi Beckie,

I don't suffer with health anx so i'm sure others will offer a lot more support and empathy. It sounds horrid to have to have rid of it for so long then as you say its returned.
Could it be that the pregnancy consumed your thoughts enough to overcome the other health anx you experienced before? And now you've had your baby you feel vulnerable again?
Its such a big responsibility having another dependant on you when you have children it makes us feel vulnerable but I guess all I can offer is try to think of the positive of the here and now that your baby is happy and healthy and that you created her being so you must be strong and healthy yourself. :yesyes: Sorry this may not help but I wish you all the best. Also do you go to post natal classes? It helps to talk to others in the same position and maybe talking about your health to them verbally might reassure you that its just anxiety taking over and those thoughts can be quashed with the right state of mind.

bottleblond
29-05-08, 11:29
Hi Beckie

First of all, CONGRATULATION on the safe arrival of your new wee baby. :bighug1:

Like you, my anxiety vanished when i was pregnant (10 years ago now) only to return.

What you have to remember hun is for 9 months solid you never had your health anx. You were seeing docs, mid wives, you had scans and probably other tests and everything was fine, so if there was any health issues then i'm sure someone, somewhere would have picked up on it.

Although having a new baby is amazing, it's also quite stressfull and you'll probably find this to be the reason for the anxiety creeping back in. So keep reminding yourself that you have had a happy, illness free pregnancy. Your as healthy now as you were when you were pregnant. Also rather than talk to your doctor, have a word with your midwife, tell her how you have been feeling and see what she says!!

Hope you feel better soon
Loads of love
Lisa
xxxx

:bighug1: