PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else have a fear of death

nessa
30-05-08, 12:07
I have a fear of death am I the only one is causing me anxiety
and panic attacks

EmilyJane
30-05-08, 12:17
Oh nessa, I have a small fear of the process of dying, I have seen so much in my work. Usually people are totally unaware of it and those who are seem somehow to embrace it. I think it is like being born, you won't worry about it when it happens.
As for fear of death itself, I have no fear at all. There is either a heaven or a hell or nothing. It seems to me that nothing would be what you feel when you are in sleep, nothing!! If you believe there is life after death, I would want to make sure that I made a very informed decission of what could be in store for you.
I have no doubt in my mind exactly what will happen to me in death, I look forward to it and will live my life as fully as I can and not worry about what I cannot change.
I hope you research death a bit and don't let it just become an irrational fear.
Emi

Patty
30-05-08, 15:23
Hi again Nessa,:)

I have a really big fear of death. I think that the first time I experienced what I now know to be panic attacks & derealisation/depersonalisation - (when I was about 13yrs old) - it was related to this fear. The fear that I have is about other people dying as well as myself. I still get panic attacks & d/p & d/r about this - especially at night just before going to sleep. Take care xx :bighug1:

befuddled1
31-05-08, 12:21
I have a fear of death am I the only one is causing me anxiety
and panic attacks

Hi nessa
Don't worry, you are most certainly not the only one. If you use the advanced search option and search for 'death' or 'dying' in the title of threads you will come across lots of posts about this.
I think the fear of death takes a few different forms. Some people fear the process of dying, others fear it happening to loved ones, and some of us just are terrified by the fact of death (our own or others) without being sure why, while others of us have a fear of the mere 'existence' of death which has come out of our own thinking so hard about the topic (well, that's kinda what I have anyway).
Last night I dreamt about a situation where I was at great risk of death (won't specify details!) In the dream, I was crying quite hysterically and yelling "I don't want to be dead, I don't want to be dead". Dramatic I know.
I hope that helps. I realise that sometimes for me, hearing about others fears on this matter, can make mine feel worse. I hope that this post doesn't affect anyone in that way.
Please please feel free to send me a private message on this (as should anyone else).
Beth

kellie
31-05-08, 13:30
i also have a fear of death. just reading the post on this thread makes my heart go funny and my breathing go faster. i dont fear the dieing its self just that i will no longer be here and everything will carry on as normal ( can you understand that) and i wont be part of it . its causes me sleepless nights as well and makes me feel sick.

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

nessa
31-05-08, 15:54
Hi kellie I understand totally I have kids and the thought of not being here
is unbearable. I fear the dying as well it makes me feel like I cant get my breath when I think about it and the problem gets much worse if I wake up in the night nessa x

petmad
31-05-08, 19:32
I fear death everyday, I worry about the slightest pain or feeling and hate the thought of leaving my kids without their mum...
Worries me sick and makes me feel so ill!
xx

smudgie
31-05-08, 19:36
Hi Nessa

Im so sorry you have this terrible pain about death. no one can take it away from you and i wish you will if you find someone to help you.

I fear my children death and my hubbies, i think about it alot and beleive i will lose them as a punishment for who i am and what ive done.

take care dearling
ness:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

mariadonna24
02-06-08, 20:54
Oh kelly, i have exactly the same feelings, i'm scared of not being here, i sometimes have these fears in the most silly places,but i try to think that i'm not unique i wont live forever and it's going to happen to every single person on the planet so why should i be different,i can't say that this train of thought helps but its a logical thought, i hope you can find help with this,and if you do,please please share it,take care,MariaDonna.

Granny Primark
02-06-08, 22:30
I too have a fear of death.
Always have had.
Yet as a carer in nursing homes ive sat with many when theyve died.
I even sat with my dad and watched him take his last breath.
I guess its a fear of the unknown.
My mum had a saying. "Theres only one thing thats certain in our lives and thats that one day we die." She also said it must me a nice place cus no one ever comes back.

Take care
LYNN xx

millyimp
02-06-08, 23:12
Hello Lynn and all,
I have no fear of death or of dying,what does hurt me though is the thought of leaving my loved ones behind,because I am well aware of the distress it will cause them.I have made all my own arrangements for my funeral,I have chosen my coffin and it`s inner covering,my music,my chapel,my priest,and all the catering,because I love trains I want my last journey to be on a trian ,so I have even arranged for the train,and all the mourners will have their seats in a carriage on the train, while I in my coffin will be in my wn carriage,for the journey...this was all done to save my family the added distress of having it all to do when my time comes....
Millyimp

mothermac
03-07-08, 21:05
Hi to all
Yes I have a fear of death too,mainly my husbands(read my post on my phobia-fear of loss) I lost my dad at 11 yrs old and I think that was what set it off. I suppose it's fear of the unknown because we don't know for sure what will happen to us and knowing that the world with all it's lovely things to experience and embrace will go on without us being part of it anymore makes us frightened. My fear mainly happens at night when I lie down because my dad died in his sleep and I get some awful panic episodes sometimes.Sometimes the thought get's too much and I have to do something else,it can literally drive you mad.
Anyway enough of this morbid talk we all have so much living to do and we will come to death when we have to,it is not within our control. Life is for living yeah so we must live it when we can, cos like the saying says "In the midst of life we are in death" we cannot do anything about it.
Love Mothermac xxxxxxx

berkshiregirl
04-07-08, 08:23
hi mothermac
i too have a fear of death i am convinced i am gonna die of some kind of brain desiease it is so scarey and sometimes you just cant control your way of thinking, it is true we all have a time limit in life so we should live life to the fullest and enjoy every minute xxx

spiritual
04-07-08, 21:30
I myself have a terrible fear of death, like a lot of people. But I've also noticed that I won't get close to people just in case anything happens to them ie death. So I can come across as a right hard cow, but it's because I'm frightened.

PixieL
05-07-08, 03:44
hiya. i used to, when i first got ill with panic attacks i thought i was going to die. i lost some people close to me and i think thats where the fear came from. my dad told me that as you get older the thought of death bothers you less and less. now days i try not to worry about it, i think everyone has a fear of death to some extent, its a rational fear of the unknown. know one knows what death is like untill they die so the sense of having no control over it scares people.

decca
05-07-08, 20:21
I think I fear dying more than death .I fear dying in pain or dying in a panicky emergency situation.
Decca.

eljay
06-07-08, 02:53
Ive feared death since my friend died when ~I was 17, morbidly so, its controlled my life so many times for years. whenever I get an episode of stress it comes back, him dying, me sitting in the window as a teen watching the house [he was my best friends brother] id known her from the age of 7 or 8. he was the first person ~I knew to die so young, 19 for gods sake, its not right is it?

Liverbird67
06-07-08, 14:21
This is the big one for me, I worry about this whenever I have a pa this has been constantly with me since Xmas. I am starting a course of CBT soon and hopefully I will be able to live my life without worrying about it, my pas are the fainting dizziness type where you feel spaced out and terrified. Whilst having them I can always remember someone whom has simply just dropped dead thus the anx escalates and gets out of control. Hopefully when I have the CBT I can get to the bottom of why I fear this and hopefully get it under control hell I want to be able to control this not the other way round.

Thank goodness for the people on here whom are so honest and candid about their feelings and symtoms I now feel a lot less isolated and sometimes can joke about it now I know I am not the only one with these bizarre thoughts.

Love to you all, keep fighting

Debbie

tafflass
06-07-08, 15:38
hi nessa
i think deep down everyone has a fear of dieing, its the unknown, we all fear the unknown, death is a part of life that effects everyone.
i used to stress a lot about dieing, but as i have got older i fear the way i am going to die more than death its self.
just live your life and be happy, face it when it comes, hopefully not for a long long time yet.
try and believe in some sort of afterlife, i believe we never realy leave we are still hear looking down on our loved ones and helping them in their times of need, we all become angels, as all the people on hear seem like good people i think we will all be angels:flowers: .
i hope you will to believe in something that gives you some sort of comfort, xtafflassx:hugs:

decca
06-07-08, 18:32
I agree with that tafflass.
Decca

Tom_M
06-07-08, 20:26
Being an evolutionist, I see death just as necessary as birth. If it wasn't for a generation dying and being replaced by the next generation, we would be still swinging about in trees. Nature gives us life in the first place, so I guess we can't grumble when it takes it away from us. Do I fear death? Well I do fear the manor of my dying, but what's the use of worrying about something that you can't prevent. Keep safe, keep healthy, that's the best you can do.
As for death itself, I believe we just revert back to the same state we where before being born. No conciousness, so no worry or panic, just blissful nothingness.

Tom

eljay
07-07-08, 23:36
I also see lots of death in my job as a carer and although that really upsets me, at times it feels like ive lost family, I do cope as they are elderly, its the death of the young I cant handle, when I found out 2 weeks ago that my friend was dying I was in general good health, although still nervy as always.
Since then I discovered lumps on my tongue, a funny shaped tongue, a sore throat and feel very low and unwell, how can stress cause all this?? im convinced there is something wrong, I drink far too much alcohol to try to feel "normal" and all because at the end of the day I dont want to die:weep:

eljay
07-07-08, 23:57
IF I didnt have a fear of death I wouldnt have any anxiety problems at all, im convinced of that, all my fears are related to death, Im scared of flying, in case we crash, Im scared to let my kids go, in case they come to harm, just got my eldest a car and that is going to terrify me.

The only fear that doesnt relate to death is my fear of cats, just writing the word makes me cringe.

Oh how id love to be normal.