PDA

View Full Version : New to propranolol - worried about depression

shortstuff
30-05-08, 13:48
Hi, I've just been prescribed propranolol for panic disorder today. As part of my consultation I discussed a recent bad depressive bout with my GP. I have been trying to find out a bit about propranlol before I start to take it and am a little concerned that it has links to depression.

Has anyone taken this for panic/anxiety when they are also prone to depression? Any comments appreciated.

Nic

Lolly25
30-05-08, 17:19
Hi Nic,

I have been taking propanolol on and off for a couple of years now and am also prone to depression. I have never had any side affects from it apart from the occassional jaw ache which my GP says is nothing to do with the Prop but i only get it when i take it so..... der!!!

Ive never heard it making depression worse but everyones different, im particularly sensitive to medication (i get side affects from paracetamol!) but i seem fine with it, The trouble is i take it when im anxious and im usually feeling depressed anyway so it would be difficult to tell,

sorry, prob not much help!

noonoo
30-05-08, 18:07
The only side effects I get from it are dizzyness and feeling a little out of it.

I've not had *real* depression since now. Since i've been taking them (almost 7 weeks ago) I have felt slightly worse some days. I just feel like crying but I stop myself right there and then and I don't even know why, i've also felt more down in the dumps and alone than any other day before all this started.

:weep:

xxxxxxxx

shortstuff
30-05-08, 18:38
Thanks Lolly, that's reassuring. I think I'm just a tad paranoid as part of this crazy rollercoaster I've found myself on :unsure:

Bill
01-06-08, 02:19
Has anyone taken this for panic/anxiety when they are also prone to depression?

Can you think of a reason why you suffer depressive bouts? Could it be because of your panics? So if you cured your panics, would you no longer suffer depressive bouts?

IF that's the case then you probably don't suffer from true depression but instead suffer from a "depressed state" due to your panics because they depress you in which case the ad's will help to ease your anxiety but not cure your panics because panics are created by "fear".:hugs:

shortstuff
02-06-08, 22:33
I suffered (and ignored) prolonged stress which led to the 3 month depression. I had some panic attacks during the latter part of the depression and these become much more of an issue as the depression faded. When my GP diagnosed me with PD he described it as another way in which my body is reacting to the extreme stress pre depression. He told me that there is often a link between depression and panic disorder, but more typically that it is the PD which leads to depression and not the other way round.

All in all its been a bit of a rollercoaster since the Autumn, and I am thankful that I have finally sought help with it all. The depression scared the hell out of me, which is why I am so concerned about anything 'pushing me' back down that road again.