PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam effective time

decca
30-05-08, 21:31
Does anyone know how long the calming effects of a single 2mg dose of Diazepam lasts for ?

Decca

dogue
31-05-08, 17:36
Diazepam is a short quick fix .tht is when you are having a panic attack and is nice to know tht it helps but long term not relly good

decca
31-05-08, 17:58
Thanks dogue,
Any idea how long the calming effects last, an hour, 2 hours or what ?
Ta,
Decca.

pete69
01-06-08, 17:26
2mg is very low dose but will help reduce some anxiety.
personally if i have a 10mg tab,i will feel effects in 30mins and will last about 2 hours at best.still will feel it in my system up to 4hours but 2 hours is when its at its best.
hope this helps.

pete

decca
01-06-08, 18:11
Thanks Pete,
That's what I wanted to know, so really they need to be taken every 4 hours.

Do you still use them or have you withdrawn altogether?

Decca.

popsy
02-06-08, 12:18
It would seem from posting on here that everyones experiences are different with diazapam. I personally always take 3mg first thing in the morning as standard as thats my worse part of the day, then i only take anymore if im feeling anxious again or know that a certain situation im going into is going to make me anxious. I havent got into the take one every 4 hours whatever scenario as i was told this is less effective and how addictions form. However, i have only ever taken 3mg at the most in one go and there is no way (in my experience) that this stops a panic attack that has already started, i feel that it helps me avoid getting into the high state of anxiety that ultimately peak with an attack, if taken before hand, but even then if i get into enough of a state it doesnt stop the attacks coming on.:scared15:
My doctor says they work within 10 mins of taking them, i think thats questionable i think its about 40mins with me, and then im not sure if its the diaz that has calmed me or the situation has pasted and i would have been calmer anyway??? Diaz does confuse me, when i was first given it i thought 'oh my god, ive found a cure' :yahoo: i was so elated until i took one, and ithen realised it doesnt stop the anx that much just takes the edge off it (you can imagine my dissappointment!), maybe i dont take a strong enough tablet but i dont think it seems to work for me like it does some people, thats not to say however im ready to give up my 3mg in the morning!!!! LOL :doh:
Charlie xxx

decca
02-06-08, 13:25
Hi Popsy,
That makes sense to me,I'm on 2mg in the morning only but I'm wondering if It needs to be 3mg.
How long have you been on that dose ?
Decca.

joy
02-06-08, 13:29
Doesnt work for me at all!!!!

Joy

popsy
02-06-08, 16:05
My doctor has said i can take up to 6mg a day but i havent wanted to take that much unless ive really needed to, i have on bad days, although i usually stick to 4/5mg a day!!!
I made the decision 2 weeks ago myself that it was in the mornings first thing that i needed more help from the diaz and not later in the day, so i take 3mg when i get up and then another 1mg later in the day if i need it. But to be honest ive found that if i start off well by being calmer with the 3mg in the morning im less likely to need anymore later in the day, where as when i was only having 2mg in the morning i wasnt having such a good start and then needed more later on. I hope you can understand this as im waffling!!!!
Have explained all this to my psychiatrist and she thinks its good to find a way which suits you but sticking within a certain limit, you are also less likely to become addicted in this way. Hope it helps Decca, pm me any time! XXXX
PS: I think saw you posted earlier regarding wether to use an anti-depressent or diazapam, i pesonally think anti-depressents are good in the long term and diaz is good to help you while the anti-depressents start kicking in, problem just using diaz is that they arent a long term solution where as i think anti-depressents give you that break to try and sort stuff out better and improve on your anxiety, where as diaz just covers it up and the worry of becoming addicted is another anxiety i dont you'd need. Obviuosly, i no doctor and people might shout me down but thats what ive found in my experience anyway. Charlie x x x x x x

decca
02-06-08, 17:33
Hi Popsy & thanks for that very helpful reply,
You're not waffling I understand exactly what you're saying, we sound so alike I'm always worse in the mornings that's when I take my Diaz. I can manage the rest of the day without taking any more.
I understand what you say about AD's but the thought of going through those first few weeks scares me.
Decca.

popsy
02-06-08, 18:48
I know what you mean about the anti-depressents, personally i went onto mine slowly 10mg at a time, and to be honest it was fine, they made me feel tired and slightly sick but i started taking them at night and then i didnt notice any side effects. But obviously its totally your decision, it is scary starting taking something like that, but i know that if i hadnt i wouldnt be here now, but everyones life experiences are different i think you will know if and when you ever need them.
Glad i could be some help regarding the diaz, its good to hear im not the only one with the dreaded morning feeling, eugh yuck!!! (not that id wish it on anyone!!!) Keep in touch wont you. Big love xxxxxx