PDA

View Full Version : blood test advice

erob43
02-06-08, 20:01
Hi everyone,

Im new to the forum, im just looking for a bit of reassurance.

I suffer from anxiety on and off, mainly health anxiety, every little ache or pain has got to be something serious, and i blow it all out of proportion.

I have had a blood test done recently as i am on blood pressure pills and you have to be tested every so often apparantly.

She requested tests for thyroid, cholesterol, fasting blood sugar and fbc, so eventually after having the form for a couple of weeks i got round to getting the blood taken.

Phoned the docs today thinking everything should be okay, only to asked to make an appointment to see the doc and she can`t fit me in for over a week so i`ve got into a state worrying whats the problem? what could it be.

Can anyone give me any advice as to why doc wants to see me, as im so worried at the moment.

Hello to everyone as well this a fantastic place to come to, and so sorry for waffling on, just hope somebody can make me feel better.:)

Liz x

Trixie
02-06-08, 20:40
Sometimes they cannot even say everything is normal without the doctors say could this be the case here?

What's the worse it could be, your cholesterol level up a bit, your thyroid gland not up to scratch, blood sugar a bit high? Don't worry about it. :hugs:

erob43
02-06-08, 22:31
Hi Trixie,

I think you`re probably right it could be any of the things doc tested me for.

Just my worry head thinking it couldn`t be a simple explanation like that, it has to be something much worse.

Thanks for the reassurance its just what I need right now:hugs:

Liz xx

kazzie
02-06-08, 22:39
Hi Liz:D

At my gps it is standard practice for the doc to give you the results even if normal!!!

If you are really worried then ring them and insist the doc phones you and ask him what has been found!!!

But rest assured if it was anything remotly bad you would know by now:hugs:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

erob43
02-06-08, 22:52
Hi Kazzie,

Thanks so much for the reassuring reply, im hoping that its nothing. :D

Id just got the anxiety under control and then this happens, even had a few puffs of a fag for which I feel terrible as I gave up smoking in January:blush:

The thing thats so good about this forum is you can relate to so many people, and you`re not alone in the way you feel.

Thanks again Kazzie :hugs:

Liz xx

nomorepanic
02-06-08, 23:15
Liz

You could call back and say that you are a little worried and a week is a long time to worry for and could they give you any reassurance.

I am sure they won't mind telling you which of the tests he wants to see you about.

jasmin45
02-06-08, 23:48
think of it this way, if it was anything serious your doc wouldn't be happy to leave it a week before sorting it out, they'd wanna c u asap! They made me go in to tell me I DIDNT have an over active thyroid which they could have easily told me over the phone! Dnt worry hun it'll b fine!

erob43
03-06-08, 08:56
Hi Nicola and Jasmine,

Thanks so much for giving me advice, its much appreciated.

I phoned docs this morning to see if I could get an appointment and they are going to let me see the nurse. Had a struggle to even get that from them as they didn`t class it as urgent, I explained that I get anxiety and I did what you said Nic and asked just to tell me what it is so I don`t worry, to which then they said I could see a nurse, better than nothing I suppose.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate people taking the time to reassure me as I know everyone has there own set of problems:hugs:

I`ll post back later when I know

Take care everyone

Liz xxx

popsy
03-06-08, 09:19
I would call the surgery and ask the GP to call you, they will do this (take it from me ive done it loads of times) if you explain the anxiety it is causing you they definitely will make sure they get him/her to call you after surgery.
Good Luck, but im sure its nothing! Im just off to have my blood tests now, i am soooooooo scared!!!!! (feeling really panicy, just hope they do it straight away and dont make me wait!) C xxxx

jo61
03-06-08, 09:47
It's probably that the doctor wants to talk you through the results, probably to reassure you. If there was anything sinister they wouldn't leave you hanging for a week. That's what I reckon anyway. Let us know how you get on :hugs:

mandie
03-06-08, 10:01
Hi Liz

Please dont worry, If it was something serious they would call u in sooner.

I work in a gp surgery and if it was urgent we would try and contact patient by phone

love mandie x

erob43
03-06-08, 14:48
Hi everyone,

Firstly many many thanks to everyone who took the time to reassure me over the results. :hugs: I really appreciated it.

I managed to get seen this morning, and the nurse has said its high cholesterol 5.7 to be exact, and I have got to see the doc next week, probably for meds.

Anyway I feel relieved that I know now and strangely not worried now as its something that can be treated.

Hugs to you all :hugs: it brought a tear to my eye at peoples thoughtfulness
in making me feel better. What lovely people.

Take care

Liz xxx:D

kazzie
03-06-08, 21:45
Great news Liz:hugs:

My reading was 6.2 and my doc wasent that worried so you will be fine:yesyes:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

nomorepanic
03-06-08, 22:00
Liz

That is not so bad then - that can be changed easily with diet changes.

Glad you got it sorted though.

sheba2
03-06-08, 22:18
Hi There

Like everyone else has said it is nothing serious as they wouldn't have made you wait. It could be any number of minor things. I take blood pressure tabs too and the ones I used to be on can make your either kidney or liver function blood test show up either high or low (sorry I can't remember which) anyway all they did for me was change the tabs I was on. Hope you get sorted soon as the waiting is always difficult.